Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

1 edit
reply to koitsu

Re: Need suggestions for a 1U or 2U rack mount server

Thanks for the cautions. I'll report on the build. If the case doesn't work out, since it's from Amazon, I can pay to return it and select a 2U version. Looking at the thermal specification at the Intel site - »www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/···ide.html it appears Intel lumps thermal specs for all 77 watt 3rd generation i5 / i7 CPU's together. As if they are related.

The i5 and i7 versions seem very similar electronically. At least based on the Intel literature.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
Based on my experience, HyperThreading does increase temperatures on a heavily-loaded CPU. TDP is a worst-case scenario, they probably lumped them together to make it easier/less effort for them.
--
KI6RIT

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
said by n_w95482:

Based on my experience, HyperThreading does increase temperatures on a heavily-loaded CPU. TDP is a worst-case scenario, they probably lumped them together to make it easier/less effort for them.

It wouldn't surprise me. Should I put up pictures of the build? For me, this is my first rack mount PC. I have a 12U wall mount rack, the system will be integrated with the entire home for lighting, security, video and phone. Prior to this, my only concern was building desktop for surfing or gaming. This is more of a home server appliance.

I was amazed at how prices for things like RAM have come down since my last i7 builds (circa mid 2010). 16 GB for $55? That seemed amazing.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
Yeah, DDR3 right now is pathetically cheap. If you have a board that supports lots of RAM, might as well max it out considering the cost.

Hard disks still haven't come down in price since the Thailand flooding (Slashdot just ran an article proving it -- I've been trying to tell people... sigh...), while SSDs are under $0.50 a gigabyte now. Come on 1TB SSDs! Get here so I can replace my damn storage arrays with low-latency low-power stuff!
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.