Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to alchav

Premium Member

to alchav

Re: Verizon not going to replace copper damaged by Sandy

You are apparently unfamiliar with Verizon's Digital Voice service which is the only option for new subs (which storm victim conversions will be) and is a VoIP service. If you make a change to your account, they also will put you on DV service; like it or not.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· al_Voice

This thread will enlighten you:
»The end of Freedom Essentials

You (and others here) claim that copper is obsolete despite the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of customers across the country still working on it. Do you work for Verizon? Shareholder perhaps? Maybe a contracted PR company? Many people (almost always with a financial interest) claim that any form of less regulation is 'progress'. Your version of progress apparently includes leaving customers without service.

For more enjoyment and greater efficiency, consumption is being standardized. THX1138

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

One would think with all the NOISE coming from Washington about infrastructure security that they would encourage keeping the old copper networks up and running as a backup to the new fiber networks. They do the job (voice and even limited data communications) quite well and in the case of a catastrophic failure (a small example of which we recently saw when two fiber cables were accidentally cut in the Mid West leaving much of the North West in the dark) would at least allow people to communicate. If a couple of accidental cable cuts can wreak this much havoc, what would a planned terrorist assault do?
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

I would at least think that they would demand some kind of quality standard for reliability. Eight hours of phone service is pretty ridiculous in a disaster but they will use the 'most people have a cellphone' excuse as a way out. As we saw, cell service doesn't fare well in a disaster either.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

1 edit

alchav to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
said by CXM_Splicer:

You are apparently unfamiliar with Verizon's Digital Voice service which is the only option for new subs (which storm victim conversions will be) and is a VoIP service. If you make a change to your account, they also will put you on DV service; like it or not.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· al_Voice

You (and others here) claim that copper is obsolete despite the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of customers across the country still working on it. Do you work for Verizon? Shareholder perhaps? Maybe a contracted PR company? Many people (almost always with a financial interest) claim that any form of less regulation is 'progress'. Your version of progress apparently includes leaving customers without service.

Okay, I did some research and Verizon Digital Voice is VoIP, and Wikipedia is correct. Phone Service is all Packets, but the delivery is the difference. FiOS Digital Voice are Laser Light Signals sent over the Fiber from the C.O. Equipment to the Premise ONT and converted to Electronic Signals and then out on the RJ11 at the ONT connected to the Phone. VoIP has Voice Packets or Data coming over the Internet portion of FiOS at the ONT and out the RJ45 or Coax to the Modem/Router. Digital Phone makes for a better Quality of Voice.

I know what I am talking about, I retired from PacBell with 31 great years. I started as a young Frame Person in a Step C.O. in L.A., and retired a Second Level Service Manager in San Jose. As for Copper being obsolete, it had it's run, and you guys are correct, "It takes a Licken and keeps on Ticken." I saw Copper go through many Storms, and we kept the Dial Tone coming. That Equipment is old and has to be replaced. Things just don't last forever, no matter how much we like them.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Somehow 'Okay, I did some research' and 'I know what I am talking about' just don't go together well:
quote:
Verizon’s FiOS Digital Voice was always digital, but relied on central switches to route phone calls. Now the product uses Session Internet Protocols and softswitches in the home to privately manage calls on Verizon’s network which increases QoS while also reducing costs for Verizon

»gigaom.com/2010/06/04/ve ··· ll-voip/
quote:
Verizon has announced a VoIP-based service for its residential FiOS customers: FiOS Digital Voice has been launched in 11 states and the District of Columbia.

»www.networkworld.com/new ··· ce1.html
said by Verizon :
3. What is Digital Voice broadband phone service?

Digital Voice is a Voice-over-Internet-Protocol (VoIP) service that offers phone service over a broadband Internet connection instead of through a traditional telephone network.

»support.verizonwireless. ··· hub.html
said by the Digital Voice User Guide :
Since your FiOS Digital Voice service is VoIP-based, you aren’t
limited to a telephone number from your local area.

»www22.verizon.com/fiosvo ··· uide.pdf

The main point that you are neglecting is that many customers will be without phone service for MONTHS while Verizon rolls out FIOS to all the effected areas. CLECs will never be reconnected. How exactly is this 'Customer Service'?

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
With everything going LTE things just got a whole lot worse for cellphone reliability from a security standpoint (see tonights news about knocking out a city's LTE network for around $700). I hate to say it, but that old copper network really has the best reliability. Little pieces could get knocked off by a tree, but it was really hard to knock out much more than a neighborhood without a LOT of work.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
Okay Splicer, you were correct, FiOS Digital Voice is VoIP I was wrong. I corrected my previous Post. It's all Packet Data now and Convergence has taken over. The traditional PSTN is going to be a thing of the past, and I guess that is what you were saying we should keep it as a back up. I'm sure they will as long as it is possible. These old Networks come in handy in time of crisis.

As for your main concern, rolling out FiOS is going to take longer than replacing damaged Copper. I'm sure Verizon will take all this into account and will come up with a plan to provide Service to their Customers as fast as possible. The CLEC's are Customers too and Verizon will come up with a plan to take care of them.