uniqs
share rss forum feed

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:5

New iPhone, iPad and "iTV" first half of 2013?

So does it seem that Apple is going to six month release cycles? I know this is vague but they did it with the iPad.

»m.cnet.com/news/new-iphone-ipad- ··· 57548267

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
They better not do this to try to catch up to android hardware.

They are not a threat.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

1 edit

Re: New iPhone, iPad and "iTV" first half of 2013?

said by Mike:

They are not a threat.

Everyone is a threat.
The surest sign of a peak is when a company thinks they're immune to competition.
Microsoft probably didn't think Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon or Twitter were threats.
Now they're stuck in the mud.

People love the Samsung phone. Some are former iPhone users.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Steve didn't care two shits about what others were doing. Apple always did their own thing. That is what made him a unique product manager. He acted as a market leader and innovator.

The only time he balked was he wanted to destroy Android and probably have all the developers killed because he thought they stole iOS and got away with it.

Bill Gates' business model has always been find exclusive contracts (Intel - DOS, Windows - Big OEMs, Halo - Xbox) buy your way into a new industry until it's saturated, and then buy again.

MS didn't do anything unique until Windows 7.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
said by Mike:

Steve didn't care two shits about what others were doing. ...

He's gone. The markets have changed and will continue to change. What worked in the past may not work in the future.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

If Apple enters into the melee, they'll be constantly catching up. That is a trap.

If Apple does their own thing and others copy.. that means they're doing it right.

Samsung, Sony, HTC, and etc are all fighting each other trying to pump out plastic stuff as hard and as fast a possible. That's not Apple's game.

Apple constantly pumps out "out of date" hardware and are way behind on Android-ish features but are somehow a market leader. iOS has the integration infrastructure (iCloud, iTunes), the retail army, and I would submit is a better, more simple, and quicker interface.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Right, and I can use an iPod for iTunes. Apple has lost their innovation, period. I would also say Apple has lost vision of their game as the past few magical releases of software and hardware have not been praised as much in the past.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to Mike
How is Apple a market leader when it has 1/5th the market that Android has? That in itself is the problem, shrinking market share...

As great as Apple is, they're unable to keep up with android OS.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

If Apple enters into the melee, they'll be constantly catching up. That is a trap.

If Apple does their own thing and others copy.. that means they're doing it right.

Samsung, Sony, HTC, and etc are all fighting each other trying to pump out plastic stuff as hard and as fast a possible. That's not Apple's game.

Apple constantly pumps out "out of date" hardware and are way behind on Android-ish features but are somehow a market leader. iOS has the integration infrastructure (iCloud, iTunes), the retail army, and I would submit is a better, more simple, and quicker interface.

I have to agree with Mike on this one, he is spot on.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to J E F F
There is one model iPhone each year in two colors. (insert storage changes)

There are hundreds of Androids phones. No single Android phone has a market dominance as a single iPhone model.

Due to sheer numbers "Android" has a large market share. Each individual phone is just a drop in the bucket. iOS only runs on iPhones.
--

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Not to argue, but Apple is selling 3 different models, (4, 4S and 5) and two different colours and in different storage capacities (for 5 only). We'll leave it at 3 since storage isn't everything and colour means nothing.

That said, Samsung Galaxy 3S appears to be shipping (shipping, not sales) more so than the iPhone 5.

Not that I'd buy a Samsung...I'm holding out for a better iPhone or BB10 if it is as good as RIM hope it is.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to ptrowski
This and price is one reason why I'll do my best to avoid apple products.

Unless my wife signs us up for a cell phone company and takes the apple 4 phone because she heard the word "free". That and a few people at her work that use droid phones and have complained about not getting e-mails and messages. She needs to get those because of her position with in the company. So she went with the Iphone 4. *shakes head* "free"..
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
I can pretty much assure you that an iPhone can send and receive emails.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
I can assure you that he was not saying that it couldn't.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

How is Apple a market leader when it has 1/5th the market that Android has? That in itself is the problem, shrinking market share...

As great as Apple is, they're unable to keep up with android OS.

The problem with the Android market remains the fragmentation due to the various flavours of Android OS out there that have to be accounted for when writing code.

Sure Android moved a bigger number of units than Apple, but that's because everybody and their cousin can grab a version of the OS, slap together a phone using it and *bang* they outnumber Apple.

Meanwhile Apple has (for the most part) a single supported flavour of its OS through a common portal (iTunes) and none of the cruftware that is endemic on most carrier supplied Android devices.

NefCanuck

Jimothy

@mycingular.net
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

There are hundreds of Androids phones. No single Android phone has a market dominance as a single iPhone model.

Due to sheer numbers "Android" has a large market share. Each individual phone is just a drop in the bucket. iOS only runs on iPhones.

android doesn't make money, its sheer reason for existence is for giving google a vessel to mine your personal data

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
said by Jimothy :

said by Mike:

android doesn't make money, its sheer reason for existence is for giving google a vessel to mine your personal data

Right....so when I add an app through android it shows me all the permissions the app is looking for ie Internet access etc yet Apple doesn't show that?
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Settings -> Privacy

Pretty sure by default it's set to not. Within the apps you need to grant permission.

Right?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to ptrowski
I hope they dont update the iPad until at least October of next year. I am excited for another Apple tv like update/product
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Actually right now the Galaxy S3 is this years best selling smartphone with over 30 million sales.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
30 million for a 5 month old phone is commendable.

Let's check back in 6 months with the iPhone 5.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Settings -> Privacy

Pretty sure by default it's set to not. Within the apps you need to grant permission.

Right?

Trickier than that: Settings>>About>>Advertising (bottoms of the screen!)>>Limit Ad Tracking

Set that to ON. It's OFF by default, which probably is NOT what you want.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Could you post a screenshot? I don't see it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Oops, missed a screen: Settings>>General>>About>>Advertising (bottom of screen)>>Limit Ad Tracking

Sorry about that (screenshot wouldn't help I don't think but having the full path to the screen should! Let me know if not).
--
♬ Music is life ♬

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Are you using ios 6? Don't see it in 5.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Yes, iOS 6; it's somewhere else/different iOS 5 I think...
--
♬ Music is life ♬