Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
reply to booboo2

Re: General locations would be fine with me.

There's a lot of people that do if they rely on it for mission critical situations. My brother ended up getting one when his ATT DSL failed and he lost thousands because of it.

booboo2

join:2009-01-19
Southlake, TX
reply to kherr
Haha! you are going to get a T1 at home. I do appreciate your sense of humor though!

Premium
join:2012-06-11
reply to booboo2
said by booboo2:

Just about everyone I know has smart phones. My wife just keeps on surfing the web on her iPhone during an outage. I cannot continue to work from home though, as I need secure email access.

It's trivial to go to their web site. Further, I can go 3 blocks to my local library and get on their free WIFI. So, please let's get Charter to post the outages on their website.

I personally do NOT have a smart phone and nobody I know has one either.

Anecdotal evidence? Agreed.

kherr
Premium
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to booboo2
It's not smart to use a connection you NEED for work or business that is residential grade. You need a T1 or other that has an SLA. Residential is a "best effort" connection and should not be used for critical applications. You get what you pay for. With an SLA they may call you before you notice that the line is down. Trying to go cheap doesn't always pay off.

booboo2

join:2009-01-19
Southlake, TX
reply to Dogg
Just about everyone I know has smart phones. My wife just keeps on surfing the web on her iPhone during an outage. I cannot continue to work from home though, as I need secure email access.

It's trivial to go to their web site. Further, I can go 3 blocks to my local library and get on their free WIFI. So, please let's get Charter to post the outages on their website.

kherr
Premium
Collinsville, IL
reply to Dogg
+1

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 15444104
said by 15444104:

said by cork1958:

C'mon! It would be simple as pie to simply post on their site something along the lines of "some users may be affected by regular maintenance schedule in certain areas"

I wouldn't care how generalized it was. Something is better than nothing.

Sheesh!!

@DrDrew:

Like cork1958 added, even a brief generalized heads up would be
APPRECIATED BY THE SUBSCIRBERS.......because subs that found issues would not have to start troubleshooting at their own home needlessly or call customer support and waste their time.

You could also simply assume it's maint (assuming it occurs late night/early morning) and not waste any of your time or anyone elses unless it's a prolonged outage.

If you have an outage and your internet isn't working, how exactly are you going to access the Charter webpage to see if it might be maint?
--
Google is your Friend

Premium
reply to cork1958
said by cork1958:

C'mon! It would be simple as pie to simply post on their site something along the lines of "some users may be affected by regular maintenance schedule in certain areas"

Sheesh!!

@DrDrew:

Like cork1958 added, even a brief generalized heads up would be
APPRECIATED BY THE SUBSCIRBERS.......because subs that found issues would not have to start troubleshooting at their own home needlessly or call customer support and waste their time.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to DrDrew

Sheesh!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to 15444104
said by 15444104:

@DrDrew.

I think mentioning zip codes would be plenty good enough for me and/ or perhaps communities...but I like the zip code idea the best.

Again as long as you inform the customer that the information is GENERALIZED it still provides some measure of a heads up.

There is still the issue of silo'd systems, ticket systems not connected to something that has the zip codes of affected equipment. I wouldn't expect CSRs or techs creating the tickets to know the zip codes of the systems affected. Many equipment backend support systems I've seen don't even have a place for zip code for the equipment.

Besides, if one user in a zip code is affected, does the entire zip get flagged? Does a bad tap or amp which feeds the edge of 2 zip codes get both flagged even if only a handful customers are out? How about a router port feeding customers in 4 zip codes? For some areas, that might mean thousands or tens of thousands of users get flagged as being part of an outage they're not affected by. Using the TWC example above, just about EVERY zip code in Southern California would be listed for outages almost constantly even if millions of users in the area don't have problems.

Good outage notification systems for large, complicated networks are difficult to say the least.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to speedxdesign

Re: [HSI] Maintenance Schedule

And what is the percentage of users that actually see the impact of overnight maint? A very small percentage I'm sure. Yes, I'm one of those people that spends time online late at night as I work 2nd shift. Even if they sent an email, I likely wouldn't even see it amongst all the other SPAM that I receive. In any case, I wouldn't expect Charter to spend money creating and perfecting a system to notify everyone of maint, when so few people actually want or need to know.

Of course they could, and pass that cost onto everyone by raising the rates. And then a bunch of new topics would be created on forums complaining of price increases.
--
Google is your Friend

Premium
reply to cork1958

General locations would be fine with me.

@DrDrew.

I think mentioning zip codes would be plenty good enough for me and/ or perhaps communities...but I like the zip code idea the best.

Again as long as you inform the customer that the information is GENERALIZED it still provides some measure of a heads up. At least it shows that the company is truly interested in customer awareness and satisfaction. Something is better than nothing.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to speedxdesign

Re: [HSI] Maintenance Schedule

They used to have a maintenance schedule posted on their website WAY back when, but, as usual with anything does on their site, it was about as inaccurate as it could get. Wasn't ever worth the trouble to look it up!

I had posted the same thing in the Direct forum back then many, many times also, but nothing ever became of it.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to mmainprize
said by mmainprize:

I am sure it could be done as all local customer are on a Network and a Network message could be sent out to all connected systems on the network. This is possible with today's software (wall command), but it might require some testing and supporting firmware in the modems.

How would the message sent to a modem get to the end users on PCs, TVs, tablets, smartphones, game systems, VOIP, etc.? Would the modem intercept packets? Which packets?

How would you narrow down the message to only the affected customers? What or who would initiate the alert?

These things aren't nearly as easy as one might think. Just the variety of systems involved becomes mind boggling. I've seen this same issue brought up time and again for over a dozen years...
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to speedxdesign
I am sure it could be done as all local customer are on a Network and a Network message could be sent out to all connected systems on the network. This is possible with today's software (wall command), but it might require some testing and supporting firmware in the modems. I am sure they don't want to notify everyone to avoid all the bitching about when or why it is going to be done.

I no i drive me crazy, i watch TV late at night and many time a week the TV goes out for a hour or so and it is always in the middle of a movie i started watching.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit
reply to 15444104
Click for full size
said by 15444104:

Well if they can't send out individual e mails why not just post work areas on their website, sure it may be a "general" location but that would at least let folks who will have slow downs or no service be aware of the possibility.

How "general" are you talking about? cities? streets? street numbers?

Frequently the trouble ticket systems may list devices and device ports to choose from, a list of nodes if they're lucky, node and leg number if they're really lucky. Node naming may indicate the city they're in, if they know the naming scheme. The information they're missing is streets affected.

Getting the streets and address numbers out of a device name or 5-8 digit node number is tough.

Customers who don't know the node or devices they're connected to wouldn't know if they're affected if Charter posted it.

For example, look at the screenshot above from TWC RRs network page.... occasionally they have street numbers, but more frequently it's just node numbers. The yellow items seem to be Wi-Fi service related which is being installed by their Business Class division.
--

kherr
Premium
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to 15444104
When I was with ATT they had normal work windows posted somewhere. They were like 2A~3A in the morning. If the line was down and it was this time period, it was a normal work window ......

The only time I was down was one time I got home from work and was up the next day by the time I got home from work. I didn't bother calling seeing shit happens and I wasn't in the mood to trouble shoot if the problem was on my side or theirs. It turned out that a vendor messed up a router upgrade in Chicago and the entire CO was hit.

I always wait a day if something is wrong to see if "something is wrong" or just someone is working on a line near me or something. No reason to get up in an uproar, it's not like I need the line to run a business or something. The TV has always worked so I know the line is intact. I had an issue when they first install HD and HSI, but was resolved quickly. Everybody here says how bad tech support is and is totally clueless above their scripts. The couple I talked to knew their stuff and was very professional and helpful. I guess it's luck of the draw ....

Premium
reply to DrDrew
Well if they can't send out individual e mails why not just post work areas on their website, sure it may be a "general" location but that would at least let folks who will have slow downs or no service be aware of the possibility.

It definitely is true that customers will be understanding of service outages or slowdowns IF they are given some warning in advance as far as maintenance is concerned.

How about it Charter ?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to rahlquist
None of the last mile residential providers give maintenance notification for their networks, at least not that I've seen with ATT, Verizon, Charter, Comcast, Cox, TWC, etc.

For the most part their systems aren't setup to handle it. It needs matching street address to equipment being worked on to customer email address and that just isn't available. Frequently the systems are silo'd and not interconnected very well if at all. Billing will match node to address, but the problem ticketing system isn't connected to billing and neither are connected to customer email lists. It's also the reason why notes from calls to tech support rarely, if ever, make it on to the work order the tech sent to home has. It's two different systems with little interconnection, often with the tech work order being generated by the billing system, not the problem ticketing system tech support uses.
--

rahlquist
Redeye

join:2001-10-30
Villa Rica, GA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to speedxdesign
Good luck with this. My node and others around me have been being attacked by preventative maintenance since 10/2. I have started over 5 threads here in the direct forum and while they have tried to help, the tickets for the node work keep getting closed, and then a new one opened seemingly the next business day. Over and over and over. And I keep seeing the same subcontractors(driving their own trucks not charters), hard at work holding the fender of their pickup up while staring a lawn warts they have opened. The only notification I get is when I call to complain and the automated system tells me there is a maintenance window in my area. Of course the automated system wont tell you how long the window is for.

So basically with charter its a we will give it to you when we want and you will live with it kind of thing.
--
Fed Up With Crummy Cell Coverage?

Please Map Your GSM Coverage! Save someone else some grief!

speedxdesign

join:2010-02-25
Alexandria, MN
reply to cooldude9919
I get five emails from Charter a week trying to get me to sign up to other services, or activate some stupid points thing, I think they could figure it out.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to speedxdesign
said by speedxdesign:

Is there a technical reason why a ISP like Charter can't notify customers when they will be doing overnight HSI maintenance?

I completely understand the need for it and appreciate it being done overnight, but a small email or note saying we might be down from x to x would be nice.

If you are a fiber enterprise customer, yes you get emails about any work being done. Any modem customer (business or residential) does not. I dont think they have the staff or system to correctly notify that many modem customers.

speedxdesign

join:2010-02-25
Alexandria, MN
Is there a technical reason why a ISP like Charter can't notify customers when they will be doing overnight HSI maintenance?

I completely understand the need for it and appreciate it being done overnight, but a small email or note saying we might be down from x to x would be nice.