Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xymox1
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Phoenix, AZ

[AZ] System wide reboot in Phoenix area

At 2:11am last night ( monday night / tues morn ) There was a system wide outage that lasted a few minutes.

I caught this by accident. I have Crestron home automation systems installed in a number of clients homes in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa and I use the www.alertra.com monitoring service to check on these systems once a minute to be sure they are up and working. Last night all the cox customers went offline and came back a few mins later. My clients in other cities did not go off line.

I found that interesting. Why would all of Cox in a reigon spread across multiple cities go offline for a moment and come back up ?

Maybe they are changing and getting ready for 100Mb ?

Maybe a big systemwide change of IP's ?

Maybe some change in prep for IPv6 ?

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

never went offline here, but its not un common for internet or tv to go offline between 12am and 5am as that is their maintenance window

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:13
reply to xymox1

We do maintenance... in the middle of the night.

xymox1
Premium
join:2008-05-20
Phoenix, AZ

Well whats interesting is the maintenance effected more then one plant over a very wide region.

I was not up at the time but it would have been a VERY short interruption. The few mins Alertra down/up is at the lower limit of its detection so it might have been down for seconds. Maybe it was just a big wide DHCP lease renewal.

Ive just never seen that in my 3 years of monitoring in multiple cities. It was odd. A whole region rebooting at the same time was odd.