spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Great

If I had a job in Kansas I would move now for that 1Gb Fiber. Makes my 155Mbps connection at home seem outdated.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

said by brianiscool:

Makes my 155Mbps connection at home seem outdated.

That's because it is.

Now, imagine how the majority of the world feels that is stuck on a more than 30 year old copper infrastructure meant for voice. (DSL)
That's not just outdated, it's a relic of the past that for some reason isn't in a museum instead of connecting the people to the best information technology we've ever had.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by Kamus:

said by brianiscool:

Makes my 155Mbps connection at home seem outdated.

That's because it is.

Now, imagine how the majority of the world feels that is stuck on a more than 30 year old copper infrastructure meant for voice. (DSL)
That's not just outdated, it's a relic of the past that for some reason isn't in a museum instead of connecting the people to the best information technology we've ever had.

In the US, the FCC is to blame for that. They have been poor at enforcing and creating regulations by letting companies perform suboptimally and failing to regulate business practices.

They also don't let telcos that deploy fiber abandon copper, they make them maintain both. That makes it cost prohibitive and something Google doesn't have to deal with. Verizon is paying out the nose right now for having to maintain both systems. The FCC needs to take a stand and say you must supply either fiber or copper to your customers for the foreseeable future, but not both.
EngineerDave
join:2001-08-27
Birmingham, AL

EngineerDave

said by silbaco:

They also don't let telcos that deploy fiber abandon copper, they make them maintain both. That makes it cost prohibitive and something Google doesn't have to deal with. Verizon is paying out the nose right now for having to maintain both systems. The FCC needs to take a stand and say you must supply either fiber or copper to your customers for the foreseeable future, but not both.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! This is correct.
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

In the US, the FCC is to blame for that. They have been poor at enforcing and creating regulations by letting companies perform suboptimally and failing to regulate business practices.

They also don't let telcos that deploy fiber abandon copper, they make them maintain both. That makes it cost prohibitive and something Google doesn't have to deal with.

AFAIK it is usually a state commission that requires the copper to be maintained. Some small (tiny compared to Verizon) phone companies have been allowed to replace their copper with fiber optics. The FCC should encourage fiber to premises being made available to over 90% of U.S. homes before the copper PSTN is allowed to be abandoned by the big boys including CenturyLink, FairPoint, and Frontier.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv

Anon

said by Sammer:

The FCC should encourage fiber to premises being made available to over 90% of U.S. homes before the copper PSTN is allowed to be abandoned by the big boys including CenturyLink, FairPoint, and Frontier.

Almost 20% of the US population is rural, so that 90% number would be impossible to reach without huge government spending to subsidize miles and miles of fiber to reach houses that are miles apart and several miles from the nearest CO/Headend.