Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus

Re: So I caved and i'm back

Please don't Google Icy Veins. If you know the website you specifically want to visit, just visit it.

Sponsored by Citizens Against Google As Your Address Bar

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

icy-veins.com

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
Click for full size
said by Nick D:

Please don't Google Icy Veins. If you know the website you specifically want to visit, just visit it.

What are you talking about? How else do you get to web pages?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
said by Nick D:

But google cache preview is one of the ways I view websensed stuff.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
said by Nick D:

nice try, Microsoft.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious

Premium Member

You get mad kudos for this one.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Nick D:

nice try, Microsoft.

Touche.

no, it just bugs me that people use Google/Bing/whatever as an address bar. They enter "microsoft" into the search bar, then click link to Microsoft.com. JUST HIT CTRL+ENTER YOU JERKS.

I have weird pet peeves.

Also, I get to websites by using history, duh? I HAVE VISITED EVERY SITE EVER..

But no, seriously, I use history a lot to hit direct URLs. Searching is fine, I just don't think searching is effective if you just search a URL and click it, instead of typing out ".com" at the end (or using ctrl+enter)

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

what a lame pet peeve. sounds like the onset of paranoid schizophenia.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

Snuffbox to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
Want to know a real pet peeve?

Mac (to my knowledge) doesn't support any form of Control+Enter.

Hate browsing on my wife's laptop. Someone please tell me I'm wrong?

Also Bing is too late to the party. Microsoft Fail.

It's like trying to start a social networking site to compete with the already extremely established Facebook. Silly Google Fail.

Windows Phone - Microsoft Fail.

Windows 8 - Microsoft Fail, (Along with 2000, ME, & Vista. Love 98, XP, & 7)

mettachain
Goblineer
Azeroth

mettachain

actually Win8 pretty handy. I put it on one my laptops (from 2008) and it runs pretty damned fast. Fast startup, fast running apps, fast resume from sleep mode. Learning the different and new command to bring up and exit out of stuff was a little slow but guess what? There's an app for that! lol

Win8 will be sticking around. The new windows phones look interesting but I won't be getting one of those. I'm happy with my Droid razer M.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by mettachain:

actually Win8 pretty handy. I put it on one my laptops (from 2008) and it runs pretty damned fast. Fast startup, fast running apps, fast resume from sleep mode.

Fresh OS instal does that with any computer. You cleared 4-5 years of crap and put on a new clean OS.

So far, benchmarks show no performance improvement for Win 8 vs Win 7.

Win 8 is a glorified App store again trying to join the market too late.

»www.tomshardware.com/rev ··· 331.html - This article is geared towards gaming.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to mettachain

to mettachain
said by mettachain:

actually Win8 pretty handy. I put it on one my laptops (from 2008) and it runs pretty damned fast. Fast startup, fast running apps, fast resume from sleep mode. Learning the different and new command to bring up and exit out of stuff was a little slow but guess what? There's an app for that! lol

I bought a new desktop that arrived last week with win8 on it and I've not had any trouble with it at all. Like you say, the interface is radically different so doing simple things like trying to shut it down took some time to get used to, but so far I've not had any serious issues other than some websites not displaying correctly under IE10 (and that Chrome and Firefox are not yet available for Win8 so I don't have alternatives).

The one thing that I find humorously ironic however, is that Microsoft didn't have the drivers available for the xbox controller under Win8 yet. Funny since they are putting so much oneous on the xbox/pc integrations. Not a huge issue for me since I prefer the keyboard to play WoW anyhow and the wife can still use the xbox controller for playing on our Win7 laptop.

mettachain
Goblineer
Azeroth

mettachain to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
i have my vista OS still on there as well. when i upgraded, it packaged all my files and folders into a "windowsold" folder. not completely a fresh install...

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
said by Carpie:

[and the wife can still use the xbox controller for playing on our Win7 laptop.

You can play WoW with an Xbox controller?

mettachain
Goblineer
Azeroth

mettachain

yes, i read about a program a year or so ago that you can use the xbox controller for playing wow. or any other pc game for the that matter.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Not free then I'm assuming?

mettachain
Goblineer
Azeroth

mettachain

Carpie?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Looks like you can do this easily by using a software packages that translates controller button presses into keyboard/mouse inputs. Xpadder (www.xpadder.com) is available for $10.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie

Right-O. Xpadder is what I ended up using for the $10 it's well worth the money. I started with xinmapper from sourceforge.net and it allows the basics but doesn't have nearly the functionality of xpadder.

It works pretty slick. The left hand joystick we use for movement, the right hand joystick is for the mouse pointer (or panning the camer if you hold in the "right mouse button"). We mapped left click and right click to the RB and LB buttons. The rest of they buttons I map 1-9 and just put whatever spells in those slots that I want. I leave the bottom of the crosspad mapped to "tab" so I can easily select between the enemies.

It works good for simple questing from the couch and/or low levels but certainly isn't for endgame. More for novelty or wives that like to play pandas because "they are cute".
Carpie

Carpie to mettachain

to mettachain
said by mettachain:

yes, i read about a program a year or so ago that you can use the xbox controller for playing wow. or any other pc game for the that matter.

True. Allows the xbox controller to be used with any game in place of keyboard/mouse. Hell you could even write a paper with the xbox controller as long as you didn't use more than 12 letters

Outside of games the controller can essentially replace the mouse (not that you would ever want to) as you control the mouse cursor with it and use the buttons to left-click / right-click.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
said by Carpie:

More for novelty or the ladies that like to play pandas because "they are cute".

...and how could THAT be a bad thing...ever?