Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to KodiacZiller

Premium Member

to KodiacZiller

Re: Good Passwords Made Easy

said by KodiacZiller:

If the words are chosen perfectly randomly from an English dictionary, then the machine would have to guess from the dictionary randomly. This is the whole idea behind the diceware method.

I'm aware of that. But that wasn't the complexity calculation used by the cartoon author.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD

Premium Member

Rule of Thumb: if you need a NYT article to tell you the rules about passwords, you are already doomed.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

KodiacZiller to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by KodiacZiller:

If the words are chosen perfectly randomly from an English dictionary, then the machine would have to guess from the dictionary randomly. This is the whole idea behind the diceware method.

I'm aware of that. But that wasn't the complexity calculation used by the cartoon author.

Maybe not, but the diceware method is still the best way to create strong passwords that are easy to remember.

For example, let's say that you have a word list of 10,000 English words to choose from. Let's further assume your adversary *knows* that you used this list. Here's the entropy for passwords made with different lengths:

4 words = 53 bits
5 words = 66 bits
6 words = 80 bits
7 words = 93 bits

So you'll need at least 6 words to be sure that the password won't be cracked. 80 bits is plenty strong. The nice thing about this is the adversary can know the wordlist and it doesn't matter as long as your password is long enough and chosen *randomly*.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Now if only we could get all websites to accept the long passwords required for such an approach.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by sivran:

Now if only we could get all websites to accept the long passwords required for such an approach.

Well, that and the fact that typing in a 6 word password is a little on the cumbersome side.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to sivran

MVM

to sivran
said by sivran:

Amen. There should be no limit on length, other than maybe less than 256. It ticks me off that I can only have a 12 character password on my 401k, as I've moved up to 15 character passwords.