share rss forum feed

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to FFH5

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for November 13 2012

I had two Win 7 Pro 64 bit systems that had just 12 updates, but this one had 16, and I believe they were the same as you listed. I think the difference is that the other systems did not have MS Office viewers installed.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Oregonian
said by Oregonian:

said by La Luna:

What are these "optional" updates for? Do I need them?

Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2685811)

Update for User-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2685813)

Edit: Google info is sketchy and a bit, err, scary?

It appears that they are related to the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse software. If you are not having any issues with these devices then you probably do not need the updates.

Thanks. Nope, not having any issues. I think I'll hide these updates.
--
The Alien in the White House

19,694 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to NICK ADSL UK

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Buddel
said by Buddel:

Thank you. I'm just downloading 18 patches (Windows 7 32bit).

Only 17 for me on Win 7 x64, although a Windows Defender update the day before would have made 18.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to NICK ADSL UK
I hate updating .NET! :P

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
said by antdude:

Necessary evil on Win 7 & Win 8

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

1 recommendation

reply to NICK ADSL UK
Thank you. I had 12 along with a reboot. All safe now.

Trooper
Premium
join:2005-05-18
USA
reply to NICK ADSL UK
Not sure about the optional ones on my servers. Not using IPV6 yet so may hold off and just take care of the criticals.
--
This space for rent.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to NICK ADSL UK
KB2750841 is/was apparently a problem for some people using OpenDNS:

»[WIN7] Keep getting "Additional log on information" po

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Ah, the thread seems to be related to both OpenDNS and IPv6. Don't have IPv6 enabled on the Win 7 network, so that is probably why I saw no problems there.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
reply to NICK ADSL UK
i had 3 updates for my windows xpsp3, including the "malware removal tool":

KB2761226
KB2727528
KB890830 (malware removal tool)

johnpd
Premium
join:2003-11-20
Green Valley, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

reply to NICK ADSL UK
Click for full size
Why am I seeing an update to my nVidia graphics adapter in the important updates? Is this a mistake?

JohnD

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit
Edit:
Just looked at this link off one of the links below:
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

-----------------------------------------------------
It could be relative to this information? I'm not seeing it here with 2 x 8800GT's though.

»windows7forums.com/software-upda···7-a.html

Windows 8 includes an updated “DirectX 11.1 Runtime” that supports Direct3D 11.1, updates Direct2D and DirectWrite, DXGI 1.2, and a revision of the Windows Imaging Component (WIC).

Portions of the “DirectX 11.1 Runtime” are being made available on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 via the Platform Update for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB 2670838) included with the Internet Explorer 10 Release Preview for Windows 7. This includes the updated components above, but is limited to WDDM 1.1 drivers on Windows 7.

KB 2670838 is installed as part of the IE10 Release Preview for Windows 7 download. It is also available as a standalone prerelease update.

Full technical details are in the process of being published to MSDN.

»blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/···s-7.aspx

Download link:
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···id=35661

Library link:
»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···%29.aspx

This section lists display driver features that are new or updated for Windows 8, which introduced version 1.2 of the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). WDDM 1.2 also supports Microsoft Direct3D Version 11.1.
Major new features in WDDM 1.2
For a high-level description of many of the new features available in Windows 8, see Windows Display Driver Model Enhancements. That paper lists the WDDM v1.2 feature set, including which features are mandatory or optional, according to which driver type. The following information roughly follows that paper's list of features. Note that individual device driver interfaces (DDIs) listed for these new features are those that are either new or changed for Windows 8. A set of additional new features is listed below.

Also a little discussed at the Nvidia forum and Tom's Hardware:
»forums.geforce.com/default/topic···onfused/

»www.tomshardware.com/forum/1250-···ddm-wddm

You may just want to hold off installing it short term as it doesn't sound so much a security update but more a function update; if there is an update issue due to the detection of a certain version of Nvidia's drivers is yet to be clarified. It is my thought from a little reading though - as it could be a genuine 'function' update - but as I mentioned, I've not been offered it on Win 7 x64 Ultimate.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

johnpd
Premium
Green Valley, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 recommendation

I did not install it and it appears it was a good thing I did not. Below is a reply I received on the Microsoft Community Forum (I assume from a Microsoft person) and another reply from someone who applied the fix.

========================================
Hi

Thanks for contacting Microsoft Answers.

Usually, Windows Update check for updates not only for Windows components, but also for other softwares/drivers as well. Here, Windows Update found an update for your display device. The description of the update is given by the manufacurer/developer as an important update, so it is classified as an important update. As it is an important update, it may include a security update or a solution to a vulnerability issue you may not have experienced or driver update, apart from software update.

Being a third party software, description may be brief, but apply the update as recommended.

Cheers.
Balaji Kundalam

Post from someone who applied the fix:
----------------------------------------------

I got that update too and tried to install the update as well as the others that were important listed and the Nvidia update failed to install and messed up my drivers etc for the video card. I have Vista 32 bit as well. nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Download size: 171.6 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware software update released in October, 2012

I just now had to uninstall and reinstall all the Nvidia drivers and programs PhysX etc to get them working again. System Restore failed to work to fix it. I still have one problem when i open a pic (jpeg or png) with Windows Photo Gallery the pics colors are off, not so with PictureViewer or my Nero Photosnap Viewer.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

I think the worst part of it is the pre/post optimization crap it has to do after updating.

johnpd
Premium
Green Valley, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to johnpd
I found another person who got a BSOD after installing this update. There is no indication of which driver version WU is attempting to install. From the info about the latest version on the nVidia site, the latest drivers really apply basically to Win7/Win8 and various gaming issues. The one from WU will not see the light of day on my system. If I want video driver updates, I will go to nVidia for it.

JohnD

EDIT: I found these interesting posts in a SETI@HOME forum:

»setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_th···id=70034

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

2 recommendations

reply to johnpd
Click for full size
Over the years, running Dell boxes, johnpd See Profile, using Windows Update for drivers and third-party software has been a disaster, for me as I prefer getting drivers from first party sources and not MS.

You can access this via - > System Properties - > Hardware Tab - > Device Installation Settings Button

may vary slightly under Vista

johnpd
Premium
Green Valley, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
I went to the nVidia site and downloaded the latest drivers (v306.97) from there. The problem is that I don't know which version MS Update would attempt to install. There was no information associated with the update so I am not sure if there is an issue with the v306.97.

JohnD

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
When I ran an nVidia GPU, I used the driver look-up, here:
»www.nvidia.com/Download/index.as···ng=en-us
If need be, consult your PC OEM for the specs on the exact GPU and grab the best drivers from the nVidia site.
It's better (believe me) than MS giving you generic drivers that would crap out your graphics card eventually.
When I went for XP to Win 7, I used the OEM drivers as soon as I set-up the O/S via the screenshot from my last post.

Good luck, that's all the suggestions that I could think of.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
reply to johnpd
I had auto updates for important updates turned on, so it installed for me unbeknownst. I woke up to a desktop in 640x480 that was almost totally unresponsive. After several tries the 3 finger salute finally worked and after a reboot I was able to roll back to a previous version.

I have to run driver version 260.99 because of folding@home (anything newer results in GUI lag like you wouldn't believe) so I wasn't too pleased about this being an important updat instead of the usual optional.

Lesson learned, no more auto updating for me.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net