Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Satch

join:2009-11-25

1 edit

1 recommendation

[TWC] Proposed New "Future Tech Fee?"

Stop The Cap reports that TWC is testing a proposal that for $6.99 a month, they will keep all your equipment up-to-date. Sorry, but I see this as a way for them to make money on lost subscription revenue from the STB part of their services. I Twittered to several TWC locations that this idea is WRONG!

Shouldn't any updates just be an assumed part of the service? This had better not pass. And if it does, that fee should be completely voluntary. If not, it will drive more customers away:

Hate the proposed new Technology fee. Pay more for an upgrade? This is BS!

»stopthecap.com/2012/11/12/time-w ··· 99month/

Satch

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
No kidding. I only upgrade/replace when I am forced like broken devices or no longer supported (e.g., dropped non-DOCSIS system with its cable modems).

jacko15

@rr.com
All I hear is a loud sucking sound looking for my wallet! That's like saying, "We need to charge you an extra fee to insure the stuff we're already charging you for works." What a rip-off! Sounds like blackmail to me!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to Satch
It was a question for a Focus group and Stop the Cap's report and any associated Tweets is a total overreaction.
If you read the question its obvious that its voluntary.

A new Box Comes out, you get it.
New Modem you get it.

How many posts do we see in here asking whats the latest and greatest?

Now you could find out when its delivered to your door before Steve Mehs has it!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

It was a question for a Focus group and Stop the Cap's report and any associated Tweets is a total overreaction.

New Modem you get it.

Now you could find out when its delivered to your door before Steve Mehs has it!

Hob

LOL@ the Steve Mehs line!

Hobs, I just hope that this stays voluntary. We'll have to wait and see what the focus group has to say about this experiment. So far, I have not heard from any customers who like the proposal.

I guess where the uncertainty is concerns, when your boxes, modems, or whatever, die out and you go to the office and get a newer model, the customers would rather do it like that than incur a monthly charge. I am one of those customers that is not convinced that newer means better. (I am not just talking about cable, but many electronic things.) Sometimes, newer means buggy, and I think this is the area of concern.

I wonder in what areas they are doing the testing?

Satch

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to hobgoblin
So it's automatically sent to your door without requiring a truck roll? That sounds interesting, but they would need to start roll out new models the way that cell phone providers do.

I read somewhere that all cable providers were eventually moving to some sort of cloud dvr in the future thereby getting rid of the need for new stbs. Do you have an idea as to how long before this actually happens?
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to jacko15
said by jacko15 :

All I hear is a loud sucking sound looking for my wallet! That's like saying, "We need to charge you an extra fee to insure the stuff we're already charging you for works." What a rip-off! Sounds like blackmail to me!

Money talks. Mine says good bye!

Satch

1 edit
reply to juilinsandar
said by juilinsandar:

So it's automatically sent to your door without requiring a truck roll? That sounds interesting, but they would need to start roll out new models the way that cell phone providers do.

I read somewhere that all cable providers were eventually moving to some sort of cloud dvr in the future thereby getting rid of the need for new stbs. Do you have an idea as to how long before this actually happens?

Some cloud functions will be introduced for the boxes around the first of the year. Maybe sooner in some markets. ODN 6.0 is the first preparation for cloud services on a mass distribution. In the past, only Signature Home and some Whole Home divisions had it. I have heard about three more years to get the legacy boxes out of the system. Cloud services will be gradually introduced to the boxes based on node capacity and hardware capabilities. To get everyone on to cloud services, probably about five years down the round.

During this long but progressive phase, more and more of the box features will move off the box to a secure server system, in much the way that VOD and Caller ID on TV work now. Expanded Video On Demand and Search options will be the boxes first experience in the Cloud. The MSO can activate cloud service when it is ready, and turn it off if there are problems or they are working on it.

The goal is to free up memory in the legacy boxes by doing this, and for TWC to move to an All-Digital Platform that is more consistent with their competitors. You will see little things added to the "cloud" over time. One goal is to move DVR Settings, Series and Shows, Over to the Cloud, so that when you exchange your boxes, you won't lose your shows and settings because they will sit on a secure server. When everything is cloud based, the boxes in the field will just serve as "relay terminals."

Eventually the Cloud will hopefully replace the boxes altogether. You'll just have your TV, HDMI Cable, call your cable, U-Verse, or Dish Provider, and they will unlock your desired services from the cloud. But that's a very long time away. My sources estimate three to five years to get all systems in the cloud. Debugging could take another year or two. (Some divisions are so far ahead of others in the tech areas.) For example the East Coast is a test market in some areas, and gets updates before the West Coast. So we could see probably another eight years before the boxes are no longer needed.

The beginning of cloud services I think should start next year.

Satch

PS. Maybe someone like Hobs could shed more light on this as well. Also don't know about the automatic door delivery for the optional $6.99 future tech fee. This is only being tested with a small focus group. I think what would happen is when you call for service and need an equipment swap, they would see on the account the $6.99 fee and would be contractually obligated to bring you the newest model for your service. The same with modems, and routers.

I think it would cost TWC a lot of shipping costs to have to send out equipment all the time. Some employees may not like that. And some customers may need help hooking up their boxes. I know customers that have gotten boxes, even supposed new ones that are DOA. It's rare but it happens. Personally, I like having the tech there, because he can test the line and the signal and I can talk to him about stuff. You take your chances with self-installs.

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Hey, I resemble that remark

While I love having the latest and greatest, I don’t get the point of this fee or enrolling into this program if it became a reality, since you can go to the office and swap out your old equipment, for newer stuff at any time. You may not get it the day it comes out, but you’ll get newer hardware eventually. And it’s not like this stuff changes constantly. Cable set top boxes don’t have that short of life cycles, like smartphones for example. The Cisco 8742 will probably be the top DVR for the next year, if not longer. I’m considering switching my cellular service over to Satan (Verizon Wireless) and just when I thought the Droid Razr HD Maxx was going to be my new phone being the latest and greatest, the HTC Droid DNA was announced yesterday. If you have a specific model of a set top box or cable modem in mind you can request that, and if that store doesn’t have any, they can check all of the other cable stores in the area.

While I would love to have a new 8742, there is not much of a difference between that and the 8642 for me to get all OCD over not having the latest and greatest. I’m just thrilled that after 2 years, I finally can go back to having one cable modem. Which reminds me, maybe I’ll start again on my quest to find an 8742.
--
12/7/41, 9/11/01, 11/6/12

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Satch
" This is only being tested with a small focus group. "

Once again, it was a question among many in a focus group q&A session.

Its not being tested anywhere.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to Satch
I might go for that if they would buy me a whole new computer for $6.95 per month.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Satch

reply to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Hey, I resemble that remark

While I love having the latest and greatest, I don’t get the point of this fee or enrolling into this program if it became a reality, since you can go to the office and swap out your old equipment, for newer stuff at any time. You may not get it the day it comes out, but you’ll get newer hardware eventually. And it’s not like this stuff changes constantly. Cable set top boxes don’t have that short of life cycles, like smartphones for example. The Cisco 8742 will probably be the top DVR for the next year, if not longer. I’m considering switching my cellular service over to Satan (Verizon Wireless) and just when I thought the Droid Razr HD Maxx was going to be my new phone being the latest and greatest, the HTC Droid DNA was announced yesterday. If you have a specific model of a set top box or cable modem in mind you can request that, and if that store doesn’t have any, they can check all of the other cable stores in the area.

While I would love to have a new 8742, there is not much of a difference between that and the 8642 for me to get all OCD over not having the latest and greatest. I’m just thrilled that after 2 years, I finally can go back to having one cable modem. Which reminds me, maybe I’ll start again on my quest to find an 8742.

Good call Steve.

Satch

Satch

reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

" This is only being tested with a small focus group. "

Once again, it was a question among many in a focus group q&A session.

Its not being tested anywhere.

Hob

Thanks Hobs for clarification. People are thinking that this is coming out, so your response helps that it should not be a concern. At least not yet.

Satch

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

New Modem you get it.

Hob

It is hardly an overreaction when the company proposes a new service customers are, by default, opted IN for.

How many people truly scrutinize their cable bill for these things? Auto-bill/auto-pay customers often don't read their bill at all. If it goes up $7, people assume it is another rate increase. They won't assume the cable company opted them in for a silly new service that will cost them $7 a month on top of any equipment rental fees.

This would be a non-issue if the proposed service were voluntary and customers were opted-out by default. Then when people like Steve, who is already a Signature Home customer, wants an even bigger cable bill for the latest and greatest, he can enroll in the service himself.

When your grandmother is automatically opted in for a technology upgrade fee, do you really think she'll be trotting down to the cable company every several months for that super new DVR or cable modem?
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
Amazing what you get from a question in a Focus group.
Where did you get the idea that a concept question is automatically opted in?

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson