uniqs

Mellow
Premium Member
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD

Mellow

Premium Member

Lenovo Thinkpad Twist Ultrabook

I picked up the i5 version from Staples the other day, pretty cool ultrabook, getting used to Win8 on this thing.

Trying to figure out if I am going to keep it, battery life sucks on this thing, only getting 3 hours out of it with a full charge.

Really this was a compulsive buy, my 5 year old dell laptop is about to die any day so I am torn between trying to get it to last another 3 months till the Surface pro is released or deal with the horrible battery life on this twist.

Any questions about it ask away.
broccoli
join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
Draytek Vigor2860Vac
EnGenius EAP600
Obihai OBi100

broccoli

Upon finding out that Staples carried it (from Lenovo's website), I made a trip to a Staples just to take a close look.

Things that I don't like about it:
• The hinge felt clumsy and fragile
• The battery is non-replaceable
• The memory cannot be upgraded. (8GB versions are available, but for a lot more and not at Staples)

Things I like about it: the TrackPoint. That's about it.

I will wait for the next generation X series (currently using an X220).

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Mellow

MVM

to Mellow
I looked at the twist. My biggest objection was the screen resolution, it just isn't high enough for the work I do. I prefer the slightly larger screen and higher resolution on the Yoga, but having the keyboard on the bottom in tablet mode just felt weird. And it seemed a little heavy to use as a tablet much.

But playing with the two did get me looking at other options, and I ended up ordering the new Acer S7. Should have it tomorrow.

Mellow
Premium Member
Salisbury, MD

Mellow

Premium Member

Yea, the non-replaceable battery and memory is some big downsides. I actually did a good job of beating on the demo one at staples and feel comfortable with the hinge, I tend to take it easy on my laptops. I found lenovo's technician repair guide and checked out how hard it is to replace that hinge, nothing I want to be doing.

The screen seems ok to me, I am not a pixel peeper so it does the job.

I am going to play with it for another day. I love lenovo's products, this one however might just go back and I have to wait for the Surface Pro.
Mellow

Mellow

Premium Member

I took mine back to Staples. Thinking about ordering the i7 version with SSD drive from Lenovo however.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp to broccoli

to broccoli
It's a consumer device. If it didn't break, they couldn't sell you a new one Now on my 3rd laptop and have yet to replace a battery or change out ram modules.

I upgrade the entire device all at once!

YMMV
SysOp

SysOp to Mellow

to Mellow
Click for full size
I've got my eye on the x230t

»www.lenovo.com/products/ ··· s/x230t/
SysOp

1 edit

SysOp to Mellow

to Mellow
But you said battery life sucks with the i5. It's not getting any better with the i7?

Work or leisure?
80-20 rule: 80% mobile/20% docked or 80% docked/20% mobile?
Based on the software other than the OS, what are your hardware requirements? Specific software has specific requirements; out of all of your software, which has the highest hardware requirements? What are they?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Actually the new i7 does yield better battery life than the i5.

Mellow
Premium Member
Salisbury, MD

Mellow

Premium Member

The i7 still is not shipping from Lenovo. I went ahead and bought the Sony Vaio Duo 11. i7/8gigs/256 SSD/win8 pro.

I love this little thing so far, faaaast, never seen a computer boot so fast.

Btw, this is for work. I run photoshop and other demanding apps on my second monitor, needed the extra power.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Just as well, I don’t know that the Microsoft Surface Pro would have much better battery life (~5hr, probably less) then the Lenovo and the Surface Pro has an i5 processor.