Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
reply to Thaler

Re: [SC2] Heart of the Swarm available for pre-purchase

said by Thaler:

I never quite understood Kerrigan giving others guff for the people they've hurt/killed/etc. It's like pot, meet every kettle ever.

Actually, she just has a huge beef with Arcturus Mengsk (who leads the Dominion, thus making her beef flow over to them) for leaving her behind. Her issue(s) with Jim Raynor is(are) more complicated.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
Oh, I understand their beef. It's just that you have two people who have killed planets worth of innocents, and one's calling the other a bad guy.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

When has she?

In the cutscenes. There's plenty of her calling Mengsk a monster (or some other unflattery), where...yeah, she's kinda done the same damn thing. Or worse.

I dunno, it just makes their interactions just damn silly. Like watching one heinous mega villain go after a less heinous one.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
said by Thaler:

said by TigerLord:

When has she?

In the cutscenes. There's plenty of her calling Mengsk a monster (or some other unflattery), where...yeah, she's kinda done the same damn thing. Or worse.

I dunno, it just makes their interactions just damn silly. Like watching one heinous mega villain go after a less heinous one.

She is/was driven by Zerg instinct, whereas Mengsk's is inherent to his character. So, whom's the true monster?
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
Coin toss?

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
reply to Thaler
mensk is one of the reason's she's the Queen of Blades, his final betrayal is what left her stranded where the zerg caught her. IIRC

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8

2 edits
reply to Thaler
said by Thaler:

Sarah Kerrigan was a Ghost operative for Mengsk for years. She was even running the spec-op program at some point according to the lore. During a mission in the original SC, Mengsk decides to abandon her on an infested planet. She was overun by the Zergs, but because she was a powerful psionic user, the Overmind decided to infest her and turn her into a Zerg agent instead of killing her.

At that point she lost her mind and became someone else, first serving the Overmind, then became a bitch of her own.

At the end of WoL, she is "cured" from the Zerg infestation and reverts back to her prior self, forgetting all that happened while she was Kerrigan.

In HotS, she goes through another kind of transformation on Zerus, the birthplace of the Zergs, inside the first original spawning pool. That leaves her more powerful than she ever were, but it left her freewill intact. This time she is not infested or mind controlled. She is simply evolved.

The atrocities she committed as the Queen of Blades were not Sarah Kerrigan's fault. During HotS, she does kill innocents in the name of revenge, and that kind of moral ambiguity is addressed in the narrative. During the end of a mission, she lets innocents go.

Mengsk sacrificed millions on the altar of grandiosity. He's the only true piece of shit in this story.

Here:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5v1oxYF···youtu.be

Edit: Finished the campaign on Brutal. Korhal presented a good challenge.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Jobbie
Probably not websense friendly but this gives a summary of all the story until now. Note that there are 6 pages to click through, but it's easy reading.

»us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/lore/s···so-far/1

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

At that point she lost her mind and became someone else, first serving the Overmind, then became a bitch of her own.

At the end of WoL, she is "cured" from the Zerg infestation and reverts back to her prior self, forgetting all that happened while she was Kerrigan.

In HotS, she goes through another kind of transformation on Zerus, the birthplace of the Zergs, inside the first original spawning pool. That leaves her more powerful than she ever were, but it left her freewill intact. This time she is not infested or mind controlled. She is simply evolved.

The atrocities she committed as the Queen of Blades were not Sarah Kerrigan's fault. During HotS, she does kill innocents in the name of revenge, and that kind of moral ambiguity is addressed in the narrative. During the end of a mission, she lets innocents go.

I guess the mind control aspects of the past needed to be more heavily emphasized. I played through the campaigns and that never seemed to come up. The character just seemed like someone who'd shred an entire planet for shits. Without the explanation, that scene where she kills the downed commander and lets the wounded troops go seemed arbitrary and/or borderline bipolar.

Maybe I need to replay/reread things, as I missed that explanation of the differences of then and now. I just figured it was the same old Queen of Blades, new tricks, and the audience is supposed to support her as the more "preferred" monster over Mengsk because...sex appeal? Hell if I knew.

Granted, in a choice between SC1's Queen of Blades and Mengsk, there wasn't a lot of reasons to root for one over the other. Both were just murder machines.

MaxPowers

join:2010-07-30
Roy, UT
reply to Jobbie
Almost done on Hard mode, way easier than WoL. Loving it so far, gotta do another playthrough to get missing achievements. Anyone have their Kerrigan achieves bug? Mine says i've only killed 28 of 50 units using kinetic blast I checked it before and after a mission, didnt budge.

MaxPowers

join:2010-07-30
Roy, UT
reply to Jobbie
nvm guess you have to complete the Kerrigan acheives in 1 mission

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
reply to Jobbie
Dove back in the MP with Toss, was placed in Gold, so not too shabby.

Jobbie we should train 1v1 together.

Oracles are ridiculously OP imgo. Two of them can clear 24 probes in seconds.

NerdRage

join:2013-03-25
Hello everyone! Big lurker here for awhile. I recently finished the SP mode and it was amazing. I consider myself a decent player and I'm always looking for improvement and friendly people to play with. So hit me up if you guys plan to get some games going.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
whats your in game name&?

we need a new thread with all our sc2 handles

NerdRage

join:2013-03-25
Valdan#1669 is my BattleTag and my game name is NerdRage.

Indeed, a new thread to discuss events, gameplay, patchnotes and strategies would be helpful.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

Dove back in the MP with Toss, was placed in Gold, so not too shabby.

Jobbie we should train 1v1 together.

Oracles are ridiculously OP imgo. Two of them can clear 24 probes in seconds.

Add me on Bnet and we can get some 1v1 or 2v2s going, or even more if we get more people on.
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
What's the price for this xpac? I should probably wait for it to come down in price.

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
Canada
said by Archivis:

What's the price for this xpac? I should probably wait for it to come down in price.

30$ for standard version

Savious Zero
Simply the best
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
said by TigerLord:

said by Archivis:

30$ for standard version

I doubt it will go down in price for a long time. Its very much worth the price, IMO. I havent even touched the single player campaign yet, but I am definently enjoying the new units.
--
"This thread has more subs than the actual game." Phantasee, in reference to SWTOR