Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: Straightening out Microsoft's confusing security tools

I think one way to understand the state of affairs is that "Microsoft" is not a monolithic entity. Maybe if we knew which group within MS was responsible for each product, we'd be able to figure out a decent hypothesis of how it got that way. Likely the OS guys had one thing, the support organization had another, the people who maintain various web sites threw in something...

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by dave:

I think one way to understand the state of affairs is that "Microsoft" is not a monolithic entity ...

I've often wondered how that discombobulation came into existence & not being from the corporate world I've been in awe that they still manage to tie their shoes in the morning let alone prosper as well as they do.
By design or not, it must come down to multiple departments working independently of each other or a monolithic like Security Overlord running the show.
But then the Security Overlord would need a department of their own, adding yet another dept...
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

3 recommendations

dave

Premium Member

I used to work for DEC (may it rest in peace) which had much the same sort of issues.

I think it's simple: organizations larger than N people can't really communicate efficiently. Assuming the sort of attitude that computer types have, you naturally end up with a bunch of organizations within the organization. Given the choice between trying to set some other group to do something for me, and just doing it myself whether it's in my charter or not... to hell with it, I'm taking the easy and fun route.

Even IBM, which had more rigid control that most, at least in its mainframe days, ended up with multiple competing product lines.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to Snowy

MVM

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by dave:

I think one way to understand the state of affairs is that "Microsoft" is not a monolithic entity ...

I've often wondered how that discombobulation came into existence & not being from the corporate world I've been in awe that they still manage to tie their shoes in the morning let alone prosper as well as they do.
By design or not, it must come down to multiple departments working independently of each other or a monolithic like Security Overlord running the show.
But then the Security Overlord would need a department of their own, adding yet another dept...

Just like our government.