spc
Search similar:

uniqs

madbear
join:2000-09-03
Veedersburg, IN

madbear

Voice over IP-DSLAM?

I was talking to a CSR today yet again about trying to get my landline phone plan changed (LONG story ), and she tried to tell me that I could get U-verse voice, even though I have IP-DSLAM, not VDSL2. I know the NVG510 has a pair of voice jacks, but I didn't think at&t was offering voice for IP-DSLAM customers. It's just a theoretical question anyway, as my alarm system only likes landlines...

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

A lot of areas sell U-verse voice over IP-DSLAM now.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

AMDUSER to madbear

Premium Member

to madbear
At&t is doing U-Voice over its IPDSL service... I have it locally, in Milwaukee.. served out of a remote.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

| ...my alarm system only likes landlines

Have seen (pro) install of u-verse with voice, such that preexisting landline-based alarm works, still preempts an active call via other house phone jacks. (RG and alarm each have their own battery backup).

madbear
Veedersburg, IN

madbear

If, in my case it doesn't work, I'd have to purchase some kind of IP adapter for my panel, and then incur an additional monthly fee from my monitoring company that would nearly double my rates, if I remember correctly. Since my landline works more reliably than my previous DSL or current U-verse (though U-verse doesn't lose sync nearly as often as DSL did), seems prudent to me to keep with what's working (as long as at&t still continues to offer landline service out here in the boonies ).

techguyga
Premium Member
join:2003-12-31
ARRIS BGW210-700

techguyga

Premium Member

Why would you need an IP adapter for your alarm panel? Just wire it like mine...

ATT NID to my RG over the blue pair. RG (telephone service) back to the NID on the brown pair. Brown pair to tip/ring on the alarm panel, return from alarm panel back to the orange pair. Orange pair to all existing house phone jacks.

This gives my alarm panel dial tone with the ability to seize the line if it is in use, and makes every phone jack in my home hot for phone service.

madbear
Veedersburg, IN

madbear

Yeah, but my concern is the compatibility between my panel's modem and at&t's voip service - both my monitoring company and I have heard of issues, and with my luck, I'd be one that would have them, thus requiring the panel IP adapter (or going back to landline service). And, like I said, landline here WORKS 24/7 - U-verse still occasionally loses sync here, and if that were happening while the panel needed to get out, might have a serious problem .

It's not at&t's problem, and since I own my alarm panel, I'm the IT support for it. I have too many other dragons to deal with right now to take on that one .