Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt

Re: Unsustainable

With the exception of tornado siren poles (and those are only mounted every 5 miles or so), the poles in Missouri are all privately owned as we do not have public utilities here other than water. So if Google cut a deal on pole access, it was with private companies.
(And the other teleco companies have huge amounts of public rackspace in St Louis and Kansas City.)

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

It was KCK that cut the deals, as far as I know, the KCMO build was just a PR add-on when KCMO people complained about redlining (which is actually the basis of this whole project, I don't think you could find another "Cherrypicking" example as clear as the Google fiber selection process)
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

said by tshirt:

KCMO build was just a PR add-on when KCMO people complained about redlining

Not following this. Source?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I believe it was reported at the time, KC, MO was not in the original PUBLIC plan.
google it* yourself, it would have been spring 2011 sometime between march and may (when the announced KC, MO was added)

*better use bing, google is pretty careful not too leave easy access to its PR mis-steps.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

marigolds to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

It was KCK that cut the deals, as far as I know, the KCMO build was just a PR add-on when KCMO people complained about redlining (which is actually the basis of this whole project, I don't think you could find another "Cherrypicking" example as clear as the Google fiber selection process)

You have it backwards. KCK was the PR deal (they are the lower income community). KCMO is about 3 times the area and people of KCK and almost twice the per capita income.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I'm not talk redlining as in Income level, it was about COOPERATION.
KCK WAs the original selected target because they were willing to bend over backwards for the actual build (not silly PR stuff like renaming the city, like Topika did) KC, MO was not announced until a few months later, AFTER complaints. KC, MO appears to begetting more benefit as the payments to the power company for pole rights were pledged to reduce power rates.

Either way this experiment is not about ROI in either KC and thus doesn't set a model/example for the traditional ISPs.
« whateverMore hoopla. »
This is a sub-selection from Unsustainable