share rss forum feed

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1

1 edit

HTC Droid DNA on Verizon

440 freaking PPI !!!! 5 inches!!! 1.5 Ghz Quad Snapdragon S4 Pro like the Nexus 4, oh and it has LTE unlike the Nexus 4.

»www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639···os-video

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

It's also got Sense. Deal breaker.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to mromero
It also looks like they had to sacrifice brightness and color accuracy to get the 440ppi/1080p screen.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to mromero
I was already ready to jump ship from Sprint to Verizon and get the Droid Razr HD, now I don’t know if I want the Razr or the DNA. That’s what’s great about being an Android guy, a choice between two kick ass phones, instead of being an iSheep stuck with one model of mediocrity.
--
12/7/41, 9/11/01, 11/6/12

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
reply to mromero
Attempted to do a preorder and 3 years later their site still dose not work right. Maybe it's a sign to leave Big Red. LOL

Often I find links on their site that just dont work or go to blank pages. Anyone else? Tried with IE and Firefox. No issues with any other sites.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to mromero
Cool phone but way to big for me. I thought the Rezound was too big for me coming from a Incredible but I have gotten used to the size now. But sometimes miss the Incredible s size factor as my wife is using it now.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
reply to mromero
I just called it in. I've had this HTC Incredible nearly 31 months. Time for something newer and faster.

theboz1419

join:2003-02-12
Elgin, IL

1 recommendation

reply to mromero
No sd card

Can't remove the small 2020mah battery

16gig only

The phones screen is going to be a huge battery drain. The processor(1.5Ghz) will be spending more time on running the huge screen(ppi)

You would be better off getting a Note 2

Removable battery-3100mah(I can go more then a day without a charge, and it can recharge pretty quickly compared to my EVO's I have had.

SD card

faster processor(Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A9)

bigger screen but lower ppi, which is mute anyway as you wont be able to see any difference from a 720p to a 1080p screen until 55 inches.

S-pen, although I don't use mine that often its a neat feature to have non-the-less.

Multi-screen. You can have a map on the top part of the screen. along with another app on the bottom part of the screen. or any combination of apps.

I loved my Evo 2, years ago and I liked the Evo 3d, except having to replace the phone 4 times for a bad touch screen. They were my first touch phones.

The note 2 is by far the best phone I have ever used. The size is not even a concern anymore to me. People at work that have had the chance to play with it also love it.

Just my .02

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to mromero
theboz,

i have mixed emotions about the HTC DNA and the Note 2, i am not very happy with my S3 right now. the radios suck on it, it takes for ever to get gps/navigation to work. I hardly get signal in my office where my HTC thunderbolt had terrific signal. No sd card option on the HTC

rumor of a 32 and 64 gig options later on the HTC,

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

reply to mromero
As others have said:

No SD Card slot
Small Battery
16 gigs
SenseUI

I'll pass. After my issues with the Thunderbolt, I'll pass on fancy screens.

VegasMan
Are We There Yet?
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
reply to mromero
Sense 4.0 is pretty good actually.
But I agree on small battery and no SD card is a deal breaker for me.
I'll stick with my Bionic, it has been a great phone.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to theboz1419
said by theboz1419:

The phones screen is going to be a huge battery drain. The processor(1.5Ghz) will be spending more time on running the huge screen(ppi)

So far there is no evidence of that, if anything there is evidence to the contrary.

said by theboz1419:

faster processor(Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A9)

Actually, the DNA is faster. You can't go by frequency (GHz) alone.

said by theboz1419:

bigger screen but lower ppi, which is mute anyway as you wont be able to see any difference from a 720p to a 1080p screen until 55 inches.

Also not true. It is a function of the size of the screen and distance your eyes are from the screen. See this image for example.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to mromero
pflog has had some good points, i have read 3-4 reports matching what pf has said.

i care more about the better radios

»rootzwiki.com/forum/558-droid-dna/

»www.droid-life.com/2012/11/19/ht···-review/
i also like phone arena
»www.phonearena.com/reviews/HTC-D···w_id3191

my concern is the lack of support form HTC, even phones released this year HTC has stopped JB for them...

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to mromero
Well with heartfelt sorrow I said goodbye to Sprint today. (For the most part). A Nextel customer since September 2003, who dual subscribed with AT&T for the iPhone and then owned all three flagship generations of the HTC Evo line. Sprints lack of LTE plans for upstate NY, poor 3G performance and less than desirable phone choices for a second smartphone but midrange were the key motovators in switching. I got the HTC Droid DNA for myself and the Motorola Droid Razr M for my mother. Also got myself a USB Air Card, still leaving my Evo View tablet on my Sprint account for the time being.

The Droid DNA is a really nice phone, very very similar to the Evo 4G LTE and the One X, with a few key differences like the larger screen, 1080p resolution as opposed to 720p and quad core processor. The battery performed better than I expected. I'm not sure how much life the battery had out of the box, but I know typically they are less than 50% charged. From the moment the phone was taken out of the box, to the activation, to the updates, to download all of my apps, and configuring it while I was eating dinner and on the way back home, about 3 hours in total time, the phone was drained to 23%.

The display is very sharp and crisp, and I much prefer it to any of the Super AMOLED displays on Samsung and Motorola. 5" is also the perfect size, it's really not much larger than the Evo LTE, but that extra third of an inch is nice. I will be missing the kickstand, and I'm a little pissed Verizon does not support Google Wallet for NFC purchases. Also the 16GB of internal storage with no expandable memory is a huge negative. Out of the box there is about 11GB of free space. After I installed all of my apps and loaded a few gigs of music, I'm looking at just over 4GB of free space left. If I was planning to keep this phone for the full two years, I might be worried, but I really have no intentions of staying with Verizon once Sprints Network Vision is pretty much complete. I can't believe Verizon charges $3 for Visual Voice Mail, which I had a hell of a time getting activated.

One thing I have not found in the settings is, a while back updates were sent to the One X and Evo LTE that let apps that have not been designed with soft menu keys to run in full screen without the black bar with the three dots at the bottom, and let the App Switching capacitive button double as a menu button. Anyone know where this feature is burried on the Droid DNA?
--
12/7/41, 9/11/01, 11/6/12

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to mromero