how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kajko27

join:2004-10-07
Woodbridge, NJ

[XP] Slow connection through switch

I have a 7MB DSL connection through an Actiontech GT784WNV modem/router. A direct connection to this router yields acceptable 6MB+ download results. I have 2 computers connected through a Suttle SOHO 10/100 enet switch also. When only one switch connected computer is on then the connection seems solid, but when I have both switch connected computers turned on then the connection on these machines only drops to between 550kb to 1.5mb download. Can a switch affect preformance this drastically or is this an indication of other problems (wiring??).

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7

A decent switch will not appreciably diminish your internet performance. There is something else causing the slowdown, such as a faulty switch, bad wiring, malware hogging the connection, etc.
--
db

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to kajko27

Seconded. To rule out the switch, I'd get yourself a program like iperf, isolate both computers and the 10/100 enet switch
from the internet, and see how well the switch performs under load.

Regards

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by HELLFIRE:

Seconded. To rule out the switch, I'd get yourself a program like iperf, isolate both computers and the 10/100 enet switch
from the internet, and see how well the switch performs under load.

Regards

Either that or borrow a switch from a friend if someone has a spare floating around.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to kajko27

Is the router doing NAT? Are the connections to the switch at GB speed or 100MB speed?