HolmanGT
Premium Member
join:2001-11-20
Washington, UT

HolmanGT to OmagicQ

Premium Member

to OmagicQ

Re: [WIN7] Keep getting "Additional log on information"

I can confirm removing OpenDNS and setting it back to my local ISP DNS servers solves the problem.

A lot easier than uninstalling today's updates. !!!
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

1 recommendation

OmagicQ

That update is all about IPv6, Since I don't get IPv6 yet, for me its a non-issue. Here's the full text of the "fixes" from the microsoft support page link I posted.

Issue 1
When you assign a public IPv4 address in an environment, 6to4 addresses are automatically assigned to the servers and clients computers. This behavior is by default and occurs even when the computer does not have an E2E IPv6 connection or a 6to4 connection. Therefore, you may be unable to connect to IPv6 sites.

Note: The expected behavior is that Windows clients do not assign 6to4 addresses unless the connection is confirmed.

This update enables Windows to check whether the relay can be reached before Windows adds a route to it. Windows deletes the route if the connection to the relay is unavailable. This behavior prevents Windows from trying to connect to an IPv6 address that cannot be reached through the relay.

Note: The relay is the 6to4 public route that the 6to4 packet uses to reach its destination.

Issue 2
If you use many IPv6 address and IPv6 routes, the kernel memory is exhausted, and CPU usage reaches 100 percent.

This update limits the number of advertised prefixes and routes that each interface can process to 100.

Issue 3
If a computer has a public IPv4 address and if Internet Connection Sharing is enabled, the computer broadcasts a router advertisement (RA) message for the 6to4 address that is generated. Therefore, other computers are assigned IPv6 addresses. This behavior disconnects these computers if the computer that broadcasts the 6to4 RA does not have an E2E 6to4 connection.

Note: Because of recommendations in the RFC 6343 document, you cannot disable 6to4 sharing.

After this update is installed, the automatic Connection Sharing 6to4 sharing functionality in Windows is disabled by default.

Issue 4
Assume that a computer is configured to use an IPv6 connection as the default connection. Additionally, assume that the computer does not have a connection to an IPv6 network. In this situation, it takes a long time for the computer to connect to an IPv6 site.

This issue occurs because Windows tries the IPv6 connection first. After the connection fails because of a time-out error, Windows tries the IPv4 connection.

After this update is installed, Windows uses the NCSI functionality to examine the Ipv6 connection. If the connection is broken, Windows uses IPv4 instead of IPv6.