spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jaberi

join:2010-08-13

Panasonic phone batteries

lately the charged phone empties pretty quick once it has been fully charged....common sense is telling me it is the AAA batteries.....went to buy them and $26 is rather expensive....almost better to buy a new phone would it not be, or the expensive battery make the phone as good as it once was...

lugnut

@look.ca
I had to replace my Panasonic phone batteries last spring. I went to Walmart and replaced them with Ray-O-Vac AAA Nickel Metal Hydride Rechargeables for $12 per pack of 4. They work better than the originals.

»www.rayovac.com/Products/Recharg···ack.aspx

jaberi

that was my next question....if the regular AAA batteries would work?

pre-charged?............are they saying i don't need to charge these 15 hrs like i had to charge the original ones when i bought the phone?

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
I have panasonic phones here and the batteries lugnut is showing would be good replacements. Those are rechargable NiMH batteries similar to the panasonic original batteries , not to be confused with " regular use once throw away " cells.

The panasonic batteries in my phone have 550 mAh capacity, those rayovacs are 600 mAh so they will in effect last longer. Both types are AAA size cells, AAA size is the dimensions of the battery case

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to jaberi
I think they carry like an 80% or 90% charge out of the box. Basically you can use them as soon as you plug them in. Doesn't hurt to leave them plugged into the cradle for a few hours when you install them if you want to though.

Personally I just plugged mine in at bedtime and started using them the next day.

They hold more charge than the originals too so you get longer talk times.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to jaberi
Keep in mind these are AAA nickel metal hydride RECHARGEABLES. Regular AAA Alkalines would explode after an hour or so in the charger.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to jaberi
You also cannot substitute other formulations of rechargeables either. No Nickel Cadmium or Lithium, else... BOOM!!!

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to jaberi
As other have said Panasonic uses NiMH AAA batteries. Basically any standard NiMH AAA rechargeable batteries will work. Don't use regular (alkaline or other non-rechargeable) or Ni-Cd rechargeable batteries as the charger will cause them to burst.

jaberi

thanks to all of you for your suggestions and knowledge.....what an amazing difference in prices there is...

lugnut

@look.ca
Panasonic is just playing the same game every OEM does. Mark up a generic part 500% and gouge the consumer who doesn't know any better.

Like I said, when I bought the Rayovacs last spring they were $12 a set. Now it seems they sell for $8 a set. Anyway, just go to Walmart or Future Shop or The Source and buy either those if you see them or any other cheap name brand NiMH AAA batteries depending on whatever they carry. They seriously shouldn't cost you any more than $2.50 a piece.

Just make sure they are NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride Rechargeables) in AAA size and the mAH rating doesn't really matter but bigger is better.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to jaberi
Yes Panasonic AAA for their wireless handsets are significantly overpriced. They are meant to catch users who mistakenly believe that the handset uses special batteries (like many handsets did in the past). Even the retail Panasonic AAA NiMH sell for less and has a higher capacity.

Given that handsets are normally placed back on their charges frequently, basically any NiMH cells will do. No need for better Low Self Discharge (LSD) cells.

JMCD23

join:2010-12-06
London, ON
reply to jaberi
I bought a pack of 10 for about $15 from ebay, they seem to be working great. They appeared to be OEM. Both my parents and grandparents needed to replace most of the headset batteries. If you don't mind the wait, that's the best price.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to jaberi
said by jaberi:

pre-charged?............are they saying i don't need to charge these 15 hrs like i had to charge the original ones when i bought the phone?

The only difference is that the shelf life on cordless phones is generally much longer than the shelf life on batteries, so it makes sense to ship phones with batteries that have never been charged, which extends their life expectancy.

On battery packs, since the shelf life is typically shorter it makes sense to ship the batteries pre-charged as it won't make a significant difference in the life expectancy of the battery and it will be more convenient for the customer.

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to jaberi
I noticed Panasonic bought the Sanyo battery division so the eneloop's are now panasonic branded.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by jaberi:

The only difference is that the shelf life on cordless phones is generally much longer than the shelf life on batteries, so it makes sense to ship phones with batteries that have never been charged, which extends their life expectancy.

On battery packs, since the shelf life is typically shorter it makes sense to ship the batteries pre-charged as it won't make a significant difference in the life expectancy of the battery and it will be more convenient for the customer.

That isn't entirely the case, they are actually a different type of NiMH batteries. Almost all handsets that ship with AAA/AA NiMH ship with the cheaper standard NiMH batteries. These cannot be shipped precharged as they loose their charge very quickly and are mostly useless after a few weeks. The pre-charged batteries are low self discharge cells which retains almost a full charge after a year and are still very much usable after 2-3 years of storage. But LSD cells cost more than standard NiMHs and are not really needed given that handsets are regularly charged so handsets manufacturers just packs in regular NiMHs to reduce costs.

But to answer jaberi See Profile's question, yes the initial extended charge isn't needed with pre-charged batteries.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

Right, but when you're dealing with cordless phones that will be on a base charger most of the time or returning to it often there's no point in paying a premium for precharged/low discharge NiMH batteries.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to Riplin
said by Riplin:

I noticed Panasonic bought the Sanyo battery division so the eneloop's are now panasonic branded.

That's been expected for a while as Panasonic started the acquisition way back in 2008. It's only started now as Eneloop recently started redoing the packaging along with the 3rd generation Eneloops.

jaberi

i bought the rayovac batteries as suggested on here, came home and put the phone on the charger, it charged for a good amount of hrs....
however, now the phone empties quite fast and i have to charge it...i'm talking like one hour of talk and it is empty....
i was under the impression that it would give me the same amount of talk hours as when i bought it...

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
They should provide similar talk and standby times. If you bought a four pack try swapping the cells it might be just a bad cell that's causing the issue.

It might also be that the charges on the two AAA aren't balanced and depending on the charging algorithm used by Panasonic it might be an issue. If you have a separate smart battery charger (one that terminates charging when each battery is full rather than a set timer) try running the batteries through them once.