how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

srs04

join:2003-10-06
Lockport, IL

Naked DSL Price Increases?

Has anyone else just been hit with a price increase for dry dsl? I just got my november bill and the price increased from $37 to $42 for Pro DSL.
AT&T never mentioned any price increases on previous bills. A little notification might have been nice. I assume they are doing this to kill DSL in my area.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
If you were paying $37 for Dry", then lineshared would have been $32. I haven't seen lineshared Pro for under $33 since March, 2011 (when they raised my price from $25). They supposedly bumped the price again after I dumped them. $42sounds about right for an area where lineshared would be $37.

Maybe they will offer you a deal to switch to U-verse HSI Pro.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

srs04

Lockport, IL
I'm in a Chicago suburb but my subdivision is not upgraded for Uverse, so I'm assuming they are going to be dropping my area eventually. Only other option is Comcast, but that would still be more than what I'm paying now after their promotional period.

$42 is getting ridiculous for only 3mb. 3mb works for us but the pricing is getting silly for a speed no longer considered broadband even.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
reply to srs04
Go call up At&t and ask for retention... they should be able to get you a better deal.

cookeys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL
reply to srs04
said by srs04:

I'm in a Chicago suburb but my subdivision is not upgraded for Uverse, so I'm assuming they are going to be dropping my area eventually. Only other option is Comcast, but that would still be more than what I'm paying now after their promotional period.

$42 is getting ridiculous for only 3mb. 3mb works for us but the pricing is getting silly for a speed no longer considered broadband even.

Why would they drop your area just because you don't have UVerse?

srs04

Lockport, IL
Everything I've been reading has been saying AT&T is trying to sell (unsuccessfully) or turn off their entire DSL footprint that they have not upgraded. I guess their investors are only interested in them offering U-Verse or LTE.

cookeys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL
said by srs04:

Everything I've been reading has been saying AT&T is trying to sell (unsuccessfully) or turn off their entire DSL footprint that they have not upgraded. I guess their investors are only interested in them offering U-Verse or LTE.

Oh my! I am so out of touch with reality.
Which is exactly why I love my DSL so much. I haven't had to call in about a problem or put in a ATT Direct post for years. It's nowhere near the fastest game in town anymore, but the reliability (at least for me) is simply amazing. I really do hope that they keep it running. Because there's no chance of UVerse coming to my neighborhood and I really don't want to deal with the unreliability and insanely low bandwidth caps that LTE provides.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
So what does everybody think "U-verse" is? When it was first rolled out, it was IPTV using VDSL. But you have to be within 3500 feet, or so, of a VRAD to qualify for the IPTV plus Internet service.

[aside]
"U-verse" is not technology, it is a marketing term; similar to, "FiOS", a Verizon trademark acronym (a play on the Irish, "fios", which means, "knowledge"), which brands their FTTP product. Ironically, Comcast, feeling left out, created their own brand: "Xfinity". All three terms, "FiOS", "U-verse", and "Xfinity" are corporate brands, not technologies.
[/aside]

However, AT&T decided to deploy ADSL2+ (which was never, TTBMK, deployed in the legacy SBC regions, only in the legacy Bellsouth region). This would enable them to bring faster Internet to customers beyond the reach of IPTV. However, this wasn't going to be your grandfather's ADSL2+, which would be similar to their ADSL offering. Traditional ADSL, as offered by SBC and Bellsouth (BS used a mix of ADSL/ADSL2+); ATM backhaul and PPPoE authentication. AT&T instituted a switch to PTM for the backhaul, and replaced PPPoE with 802.1x authentication for this new service, which they refer to as, "IPDSLAM". And the silly Marketoons decided to confuse the snot out of everybody. They called this "IPDSLAM" service as, "U-verse HSI".

Now, if your premises is between 3,500 feet and 5,000 feet of a VRAD, or you are on a CO connection within 17,000 feet, or so, you can get "U-verse HSI" (IPDSLAM) using either VDSL, or ADSL2+. For CO connections, this requires an upgrade of the DSLAM to ADSL2+ capability. So even though they have finished the VRAD rollout (VDSL/IPTV), that doesn't mean you are without hope. They are still upgrading COs, and if you live close enough, you still may qualify for upgrade to, "U-verse HSI" (ADSL2+/IPDSLAM).
--
Norman

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
said by NormanS:

... the silly Marketoons ...

I love it! I am so stealing that...

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Be my guest. I started using it based on Bugs Bunny's insightful comment, "What a Maroon!" Hmmm. Seems older than I remember; wonder if it was a subliminal memory?

--
Norman

brg

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
reply to srs04
/OT

Well, I totally remember the same Bugs Bunny comment, from real-life watching experiences...