share rss forum feed

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TSI Gabe

Re: [DSL] VDSL - 25/7 Congestion

Marc (or Gabe), have you heard if Bell has lifted the rate limiting yet?

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Bump...

crazypants

join:2011-02-25
North York, ON

Bump....again

Dufus

join:2010-10-20
Scarborough, ON
reply to crazypants

Is congestion still an issue?
Those of us on the fence waiting to order would like to know!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to crazypants

Yes, there still appears to be nightly congestion on the 25/7 service. Last night the max downstream was down from 25 to 17, but services were impacted worse than that indicated; neither TwitchTV nor YouTube could stream without buffering.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Its getting silly, to be an issue for so long...

I wonder if I can get teksavvy to modify my account that I have no dsl login, just sync and reduce the price... I wont be using any bandwidth, i'll use a Bell login.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Next week
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Ok, cool. Hope that helps.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

just curious, while bandwidth is being starved, is there any packet loss?

i need to dump cable because of the pathetic 1mbit upload and i'm ok with going down to 10-15mbit at peak as long as there's no packet loss or latency increase.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to crazypants

There is some packetloss. It's hard to measure because it seems to be primarily on large packets. So you could ping something at the default packet size until the cows come home and that doesn't have any problems, but then you run a speed test and can visually see stalls caused by packetloss. While working with wireshark yesterday, I also saw some TCP retransmits despite not being able to spot any packetloss via standard pings.
--

crazypants

join:2011-02-25
North York, ON
reply to jmck

The ping -n 100 -1000 tests I've done:

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 98, Lost = 2 (2% loss)

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Over the past ten days I've got an average packet loss of about 2%. Sometimes it is fine, sometimes it is pretty bad (bad enough to impact VoIP call quality). I'm on MLPPP in case that matters. Would be nice to get this resolved.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Yeah, when I tested a few weeks ago I was noticing about 1-2% packet loss as well.

Seems to jive with what others are seeing.

keltron

join:2012-12-26
North York, ON

any updates on this? I am also waiting to order

myriad007

join:2002-03-02
Scarborough, ON
reply to crazypants

So I guess, (having read through this thread) that this is why my VSDL performance has been slowly getting worse and worse over the last month or so? When I upgraded I was getting 20Mb/s, but the best I get now is 10 on a good day.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by HiVolt:

Next week

Your answer is imprecise - which is atypical of an engineer....but then again you didn't go to Skule(tm)

Which is it:

a) You're going to hear from Bell next week IF they're fix the rate limiting sometime in the future (ie. when hell freezes over)?
or
b) Bell will have the problem fixed next week?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

deleted.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by jmck:

Redacted?

Fixed that for you

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to crazypants

I am getting 2.5mb/1mb on a 25/10 connection... Yet when I switch to a bell login it's all hunky dory... have the AGAS lines been balanced out yet?
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

swiftex

join:2008-05-10
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to crazypants

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TSI Marc:

said by HiVolt:

Next week

Your answer is imprecise - which is atypical of an engineer....but then again you didn't go to Skule(tm)

Which is it:

a) You're going to hear from Bell next week IF they're fix the rate limiting sometime in the future (ie. when hell freezes over)?
or
b) Bell will have the problem fixed next week?

It was lifted last week.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Still seeing an average of 2% packet loss over the past 10 days. Seems to be only during peak times and is not due to saturation on my end (dual 25/10 mlppp with fairly light usage).

Can you confirm that this is now no longer related to the Bell links? Or is there still a capacity issue at certain times of the day?

UnixMan

join:2012-10-14

+1

I've been seeing such congestion since first day I switched to 25/7 last summer. I just never complained. I have the same configuration as Phibian (double 25/10 mlppp). It seems to me it's happening to all TekSavvy customers and only at peak hours of the day. So, what Bell/TekSavvy lifted last week is still a question.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to crazypants

Not seeing any congestion issues at 8:20 PM:

--

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

My speeds suck every night for many months now. This is on a 19 meg profile.

This is what my speeds look like during the daytime.

UnixMan

reply to Guspaz

Here is my result at ~9:30 PM. Note, this is double 25/10 connection. If it's not peak times I'm getting ~48/8 (slow upload because of distance to the crappy IKNS remote). I'm in GTA, not Montreal.

Phibian

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Guspaz

It really seems to fluctuate a lot. Sometimes things are fine sometimes not so much. If they are running close to capacity it would likely depend on the particular link that a given customer is on at the time. Some links might be saturated and others not (right?).

I've got smokeping running from my router to the TSI gateway (next hop) as well as a range of other hosts. I've also got the reverse setup (external system with smokeping running) and it sees the TSI gateway just fine (no packet loss) but getting to my IP I get the ~2% loss again. So it looks like the issue is in the Bell link area of things.

Given that I never used to have packet loss issues and others seem to be seeing similar loss I assumed that it was due to capacity issues on the links. My line stats are fine (loads of room to spare). The issues also come and go with the time of day (again suggesting capacity issue rather than line problems). Does it make any difference if I'm running in MLPPP mode versus someone who's not (I think I saw that you're not these days)? I vaguely remember reading something about all MLPPP connections being routed over one link? That doesn't sound right to me but I'm not an expert in that area.

My thinking is that TSI is purposefully running (too) close to capacity and waiting for the CRTC descision to come down before ordering more links. While I can understand that they are between a rock and a hard place I also don't like having my VoIP go choppy on me due to packet loss.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to UnixMan

Hmmm... better results with Speedtest.net.

UnixMan

reply to Phibian

For my MLPPP I'm using two separate phone lines (two modems) bonded by a Cisco router. All equipment is directly connected to the demarc point in my basement with short cords. Here is my ping from the Cisco router to the next hop which is a TekSavvy gateway:

router#ping 206.248.154.106 repeat 100
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 100, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 206.248.154.106, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!
Success rate is 98 percent (98/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 20/26/144 ms
router#

As you can see there is 2% packets loss as well. Again, it happens only between ~7PM and 12AM every day.

I don't really know how to fight all these ISPs to provide high quality service to their customers. I would suggest mister TSI Marc & company to apply more power into solving lots of technical problems like this congestion, broken CS with extremely long hold time etc. instead of focusing teenagers' attention on BS like Copyrights.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Well it's been a while since I tested, but I still can't hit 25meg down on the single threaded tests in peak hour... This is on Sunday 30th, 11:20pm

On a Bell login, no problems...

--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!