uniqs
crazypants
join:2011-02-25
North York, ON

crazypants to jmck

to jmck

Re: [DSL] VDSL - 25/7 Congestion

The ping -n 100 -1000 tests I've done:

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 98, Lost = 2 (2% loss)

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Over the past ten days I've got an average packet loss of about 2%. Sometimes it is fine, sometimes it is pretty bad (bad enough to impact VoIP call quality). I'm on MLPPP in case that matters. Would be nice to get this resolved.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah, when I tested a few weeks ago I was noticing about 1-2% packet loss as well.

Seems to jive with what others are seeing.
keltron
join:2012-12-26
North York, ON

keltron

any updates on this? I am also waiting to order

Myriad
join:2002-03-02
Scarborough, ON

Myriad to crazypants

to crazypants
So I guess, (having read through this thread) that this is why my VSDL performance has been slowly getting worse and worse over the last month or so? When I upgraded I was getting 20Mb/s, but the best I get now is 10 on a good day.

MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by HiVolt:

Marc (or Gabe), have you heard if Bell has lifted the rate limiting yet?

Next week

Your answer is imprecise - which is atypical of an engineer....but then again you didn't go to Skule(tm)

Which is it:

a) You're going to hear from Bell next week IF they're fix the rate limiting sometime in the future (ie. when hell freezes over)?
or
b) Bell will have the problem fixed next week?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

deleted.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by jmck:

Redacted?

Fixed that for you

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron to crazypants

Premium Member

to crazypants
I am getting 2.5mb/1mb on a 25/10 connection... Yet when I switch to a bell login it's all hunky dory... have the AGAS lines been balanced out yet?
swiftex
join:2008-05-10
Toronto, ON

swiftex to crazypants

to crazypants

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by TSI Marc:

said by HiVolt:

Marc (or Gabe), have you heard if Bell has lifted the rate limiting yet?

Next week

Your answer is imprecise - which is atypical of an engineer....but then again you didn't go to Skule(tm)

Which is it:

a) You're going to hear from Bell next week IF they're fix the rate limiting sometime in the future (ie. when hell freezes over)?
or
b) Bell will have the problem fixed next week?

It was lifted last week.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Still seeing an average of 2% packet loss over the past 10 days. Seems to be only during peak times and is not due to saturation on my end (dual 25/10 mlppp with fairly light usage).

Can you confirm that this is now no longer related to the Bell links? Or is there still a capacity issue at certain times of the day?
UnixMan0
join:2012-10-14

UnixMan0

+1

I've been seeing such congestion since first day I switched to 25/7 last summer. I just never complained. I have the same configuration as Phibian (double 25/10 mlppp). It seems to me it's happening to all TekSavvy customers and only at peak hours of the day. So, what Bell/TekSavvy lifted last week is still a question.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to crazypants

MVM

to crazypants
Not seeing any congestion issues at 8:20 PM:

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009

My speeds suck every night for many months now. This is on a 19 meg profile.

This is what my speeds look like during the daytime.

UnixMan0

UnixMan0 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Here is my result at ~9:30 PM. Note, this is double 25/10 connection. If it's not peak times I'm getting ~48/8 (slow upload because of distance to the crappy IKNS remote). I'm in GTA, not Montreal.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to Guspaz

to Guspaz
It really seems to fluctuate a lot. Sometimes things are fine sometimes not so much. If they are running close to capacity it would likely depend on the particular link that a given customer is on at the time. Some links might be saturated and others not (right?).

I've got smokeping running from my router to the TSI gateway (next hop) as well as a range of other hosts. I've also got the reverse setup (external system with smokeping running) and it sees the TSI gateway just fine (no packet loss) but getting to my IP I get the ~2% loss again. So it looks like the issue is in the Bell link area of things.

Given that I never used to have packet loss issues and others seem to be seeing similar loss I assumed that it was due to capacity issues on the links. My line stats are fine (loads of room to spare). The issues also come and go with the time of day (again suggesting capacity issue rather than line problems). Does it make any difference if I'm running in MLPPP mode versus someone who's not (I think I saw that you're not these days)? I vaguely remember reading something about all MLPPP connections being routed over one link? That doesn't sound right to me but I'm not an expert in that area.

My thinking is that TSI is purposefully running (too) close to capacity and waiting for the CRTC descision to come down before ordering more links. While I can understand that they are between a rock and a hard place I also don't like having my VoIP go choppy on me due to packet loss.

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to UnixMan0

to UnixMan0
Hmmm... better results with Speedtest.net.

UnixMan0

UnixMan0 to Phibian

to Phibian
For my MLPPP I'm using two separate phone lines (two modems) bonded by a Cisco router. All equipment is directly connected to the demarc point in my basement with short cords. Here is my ping from the Cisco router to the next hop which is a TekSavvy gateway:

router#ping 206.248.154.106 repeat 100
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 100, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 206.248.154.106, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.!
Success rate is 98 percent (98/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 20/26/144 ms
router#

As you can see there is 2% packets loss as well. Again, it happens only between ~7PM and 12AM every day.

I don't really know how to fight all these ISPs to provide high quality service to their customers. I would suggest mister TSI Marc & company to apply more power into solving lots of technical problems like this congestion, broken CS with extremely long hold time etc. instead of focusing teenagers' attention on BS like Copyrights.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Well it's been a while since I tested, but I still can't hit 25meg down on the single threaded tests in peak hour... This is on Sunday 30th, 11:20pm

On a Bell login, no problems...

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

I'm confused why TSI continues to even sell DSL? You'd think they would hold off until new capacity was added.

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Interesting. If more people figure this out I'm sure they'll move their service to Bell. I'm not going anywhere at this point but it's the second major congestion issue I've gone through with Teksavvy in the past 3 years or so.
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants to zacron

to zacron
Doc1.docx.zip
96,877 bytes
said by zacron:

I am getting 2.5mb/1mb on a 25/10 connection... Yet when I switch to a bell login it's all hunky dory... have the AGAS lines been balanced out yet?

I'm using the Bell login and teksavvy login from within 10 minutes of each other and there is a BIG difference. This is not even at peak time. The multi-thread and download tests tell the true quality of TSI. DL test done at »www.thinkbroadband.com

475KB/sec Teksavvy Login
2.9MB/sec Bell Login
crazypants

crazypants to jmck

to jmck
Good question. People thought it was only them since they didn't see any issues on the forum.

TSI said nothing will be done until the rates were lifted. Does this mean that it is immediate or do we have to wait for upgrades to go through in time?

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

It has to do with aggrigate bandwidth on bell's network... the problem is simply that bells per-megabit cost is incredibly excessive and anti-competitive. Unfortunately, the truth is that TSI must be loosing alot of cash in this one.

Until the CRTC sets reasonable rates, there probably wont be any upgrades soon. The cost is greater than the 79.99/mth they get now.

My $0.02
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

Since this is the case, shaded's point is a valid one. If TSI can't afford to upgrade and is losing money, then there should be a stop sell. They can't keep on accepting new accounts if they are aware of this congestion. I do sympathize with TSI, but customers are paying $68 a month and they should get a reasonable up-to speed.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by crazypants:

customers are paying $68 a month and they should get a reasonable up-to speed.

For every DSLr user that would come here and lambast TSI for a weak connection, there are 20 Gramma Jones's and 20 Uncle Bobs that'll pay $68 a month every month without ever looking at their bill and be thoroughly ignorant of what they're getting for that $68. They connect. They get their email. They look at their Facebook. They're happy. That's it that's all.

Customers like us that are analyzing every bloody bit byte and baud are a total pain in the ass and barely worth the trouble.

Mike
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

With the way the internet is going today (more YouTube, Hulu, Netfix, HD content etc.), customers are not just using the internet for email and social media anymore. TSI got it so bad by customers on the cable side when areas were chronically congested. TSI Marc himself said that the focus is on cable, so DSL is a back burner issue.

I think you would agreed that the issue with customers on the incumbent networks is they hit the overages and just silently pay the bill whatever it is. TSI customers demand more because we use more and were fed up with paying the incumbents for exceeding the caps.

Phibian
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

Phibian to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
True, but... Grammas and Uncles also get unhappy when their VoIP is choppy (and more and more of them are using VoIP). They just don't understand why it is choppy.

Also don't forget that lots of them are only with TSI because the techies amoung us as telling them to sign up with TSI. Given no external input who do you think the Grammas and Uncles will go with? That's right, Bell or Rogers (at least around here). Most of them will have never heard of TSI otherwise.

I don't demand perfection from TSI. I demand a reasonable effort to to their best for their customers. I work with technology and I understand that things happen. But if the lines are saturated to the point that it is causing problems (albeit minor ones for now) for all of their DSL customers (who until recently where the meat and potatoes), and probably still represent the bulk of the techies, I think that needs addressing.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to crazypants

to crazypants
Myself i don't really Mind getting 12-15 meg During prime time in the slighest I consider that Perfectly acceptable UP to speeds. i do all my downloading in the free window anyways. Packet loss is not an issue for me atm if it becomes one and affects my voip or gaming then tek will have a mad me until then i am good p:)