uniqs
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

Bhruic to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Re: [DSL] VDSL - 25/7 Congestion

Honestly, I think the test is inaccurate. I got:

but just 15 mins earlier I was getting maxed out (2.5Mbps) downloads on a torrent.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Torrents are muliththreaded... So are most speedtests...

Heck i just downloaded the XP SP3 pack, and got around 900KB/sec on a single threaded download in firefox... then i used a download manager with 8 threads and presto full speed...
crazypants
join:2011-02-25
North York, ON

crazypants to Bhruic

to Bhruic
Bhruic,

You seem to be having a slow down too.
Bhruic
Toronto, ON

Bhruic

I understand the test indicates I am, I just haven't seen any effects of that slow down in anything I've tried to do.
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

So when you download a file you get the full rate per sec?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by crazypants:

A single file without the use of download managers, that is...

Anything that is a mulit threaded download like torrents, usenet, http with download managers masks the effects of congestion.
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

ok got ya
Bhruic
Toronto, ON

Bhruic to crazypants

to crazypants
said by crazypants:

No, but the only real downloading that I do is torrents, which as Hivolt mentions is multithreaded. Anything else I do (watch videos, etc), the decrease in maximum speed isn't a factor. I don't have any problem watching YouTube videos at 1080, for example.

Not saying that means the problem doesn't exist, just that for me, practically speaking, it has no impact on my internet experience.
crazypants
North York, ON

crazypants

When I'm streaming live video, I get constant buffering. Youtube video at 1080 would load, but these are preloaded videos that have time to buffer and don't get effected unless at the very peak (after 9 pm)
My biggest problem is the live streaming of video which usually starts at about 7 p.m. My tracert shows that the pings go up to 200ms every 4-5th hop which interferes with the streaming.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

This is on a 19455/1086 profile.