dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CYYZ
join:2012-11-08

CYYZ

[Express] Possible to get a good internet deal?

Hi, I'm a 25 year Rogers customer for cable television. I just cancelled my cable TV maybe 2 weeks ago, but I still have service for a couple of weeks more.

I've just about had it with Teksavvy as my ISP. I can't put up with self-diagnosing my problems for months on end. I also can't stand the never ending tests that seems to be going nowhere.

What are the chances if I called in and asked for the express package with 250GB for 45 + Tax including the modem rental?

Secondly I heard Rogers is ending their throttling by the end of 2012, has that already been completed?

Thanks!
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

I called a few weeks ago to cancel my service since I'm moving and decided to go with Start instead of Rogers (though except for the price and caps, I have nothing bad to say about Rogers - the service has been pretty much rock-solid for over 6 years here). All they could offer me was a 15% discount for a year. Note that Internet is the only service I have with them. The best bet is to just call and try. Promotions change all the time.

For throttling, enter your postal code here: »promo.orderrogers.ca/tra ··· -traffic
CYYZ

CYYZ

Thanks very much for the reply!

I called two times today and the best they could offer was to beat Teksavvy by 1 dollar but keep in the crappy 80GB cap and speeds of 25 down, 2 up and didn't budge on the modem rental.

Told them no thanks. Guess that's what 25+ years of service with Rogers gets you.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree

Sadly, in some cases, it can actually be cheaper to keep cable TV. If I subscribed just to Ultimate internet that's $120 taxes in. Keep basic cable TV at $40, and then 70% off Ultimate becomes $36, so taxes in I'm less than $80 for both services!

The same math on Express shows internet only to be $63, or bundle it with basic cable for 70% off and you can have both for $59

It's not the $45 you're looking for, nor does it have a higher cap, but you're essentially getting basic TV for free which is better than nothing.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to CYYZ

to CYYZ
I completely can't understand how Rogers can be advertising/selling these new tiers/upgraded speeds when they're not available in all markets yet............
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to CYYZ

to CYYZ
If you want a good deal, the rep must be convinced that you will cancel your service. Simply asking will net you close to nothing these days.
CYYZ

CYYZ

So what you are telling me yyzlhr is that 2 weeks ago when I was cancelling my TV service of 25 years, when the rep asked if there was anything he could do to keep me as a customer I should have said I wanted a good deal on the internet service. Then called in next week and cancelled the TV service and kept the internet.

Too bad, I suppose I could cancel the cancellation order, wait until next month and cancel again and try to get the internet deal.

Pretty darn pathetic a person has to go through this kind of crap to just get a deal that is competitive.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

I was unaware you called in cancel. I thought you called in to ask what deals they could offer you. Generally when you tell them you want to cancel and you mention price as the reason it generally gets the ball rolling. I've never had reps withhold deals from me using this tactic.

anon342343
@rogers.com

anon342343 to CYYZ

Anon

to CYYZ
I have been a rogers customer since the 1970's. I was with Pine Ridge cable before Rogers took them over. I have Every service with them and just signed up for home monitoring. I was able to get Hi-speed ultimate for $10.00 a month for 1 year.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by anon342343 :

I have been a rogers customer since the 1970's. I was with Pine Ridge cable before Rogers took them over. I have Every service with them and just signed up for home monitoring. I was able to get Hi-speed ultimate for $10.00 a month for 1 year.

I had a deal like that way back when they didn't have ultimate and got the then highest internet for $9.99, I didn't know they still give such deals to old-timers. Good to know they still do!
technocar2

technocar2 to CYYZ

to CYYZ
said by CYYZ:

What are the chances if I called in and asked for the express package with 250GB for 45 + Tax including the modem rental?

If they do give you that deal, don't expect it to 25mbps, it might 12 or 18mbps from what I have seen around here.

You don't have to wait a month.
Another way to get the deal is just say you were offered that deal earlier but you rejected it and now that you've thought about it you want to get that deal since it was a pretty nice deal. Make it sound that you are sincere and they will pass you on to retentions and you can get that deal from them. If your internet is still active you are still their customer and they will give you a good deal to keep you and they will cancel the cencel order, cancel orders never get processed right away and they know that so they can easily give you the deal to keep you.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to yyzlhr

to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

If you want a good deal, the rep must be convinced that you will cancel your service. Simply asking will net you close to nothing these days.

Not true, although I guess YMMV and maybe with some crabby reps it may be true.

But in my case I just called in, said "I heard I can get 70% off internet", they said "yep, just gotta keep TV at regular price", and that was that.
aibojk
join:2004-05-25
Richmond Hill, ON

aibojk to technocar2

to technocar2
said by technocar2:

said by CYYZ:

If they do give you that deal, don't expect it to 25mbps, it might 12 or 18mbps from what I have seen around here.

You don't have to wait a month.
Another way to get the deal is just say you were offered that deal earlier but you rejected it and now that you've thought about it you want to get that deal since it was a pretty nice deal. Make it sound that you are sincere and they will pass you on to retentions and you can get that deal from them. If your internet is still active you are still their customer and they will give you a good deal to keep you and they will cancel the cencel order, cancel orders never get processed right away and they know that so they can easily give you the deal to keep you.

The 300GB Express package is still available (promo price is about $55+tax). You can only get it from retention. The retention rep told me the speed is exactly the same as Express. He said he put the speed 25/2 on my file to assure me. Having said that some people with this package are still stuck at 12Mbps.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by aibojk:

The retention rep told me the speed is exactly the same as Express. He said he put the speed 25/2 on my file to assure me.

And the reps are always 100% correct and never lie...

Poser
join:2002-07-28

Poser to aibojk

to aibojk
If they offered that openly - I would still be a customer of Rogers. Counting down to December 5th when I can become a Teksavvy user!!!

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to anon342343

Premium Member

to anon342343
Not bad. I got VIP Cable for $17/month+tax...but they'll give me no other deals...
aznnorth
join:2012-11-17

aznnorth to bt

to bt
said by bt:

said by aibojk:

The retention rep told me the speed is exactly the same as Express. He said he put the speed 25/2 on my file to assure me.

I heard about this new speed pack and asked tech. They said it was true and added the code to my Express. At least for me it works. I've been getting min. 25/2 speed and with speed booster... I see speeds ranging from 25/2 peak hrs to 60's/2 in early am mornings. Guess it's diff. for everybody.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by aznnorth:

said by bt:

said by aibojk:

I heard about this new speed pack and asked tech. They said it was true and added the code to my Express. At least for me it works.

Is that with the 300GB cap, though? Because with the regular cap the speeds definitely are real.
aznnorth
join:2012-11-17

3 edits

aznnorth

Regular cap, 80GB. Oh, yea.. forgot. They need to add the right speed code onto your account. They screwed up at first as client care added the wrong speed code (an old grandfathered code) and complained to tech. They said you need the right speed code. I too, was getting speeds like 10-12/2 right after the change. Then tech got the right code, the modem rebooted and then started getting 25/2 speeds. I wonder if that has affected your speeds? They need to find the code that states 25/2 for 300GB promotion. Sometimes they dont look and we all know client care sucks. Tech had to tell client care what to put. For the regular Express 80GB, 25/2 the actual code is wm3.

Current 80GB express, speedtest.net.

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 9950.png
rogersuck
join:2012-11-29

rogersuck to CYYZ

to CYYZ
i have just joined this site so i hope i am posting correct but please excuse me if not.
I have rogers lite & with modem & tax pay just under $50 (ouch!), seems like i can get a better deal by getting tv also, but i have a splitter & run 1 cable to modem & other to tv & my concern is that if i sign a contract to bundle for a year or 2 when it expires & i try to use my splitter again rogers will block & i will not get any tv, is that true?
technocar2
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by rogersuck:

i have just joined this site so i hope i am posting correct but please excuse me if not.
I have rogers lite & with modem & tax pay just under $50 (ouch!), seems like i can get a better deal by getting tv also, but i have a splitter & run 1 cable to modem & other to tv & my concern is that if i sign a contract to bundle for a year or 2 when it expires & i try to use my splitter again rogers will block & i will not get any tv, is that true?

By that time it will be all digital and rogers likely won't block that and as far as I know once its digital rogers will leave it un encrypted, so any tom, dick and harry can steal cable...lol.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by technocar2:

said by rogersuck:

By that time it will be all digital and rogers likely won't block that and as far as I know once its digital rogers will leave it un encrypted, so any tom, dick and harry can steal cable...lol.

We don't know that. So far the channels that have been migrated to digital only are not available on clear QAM.
technocar2
Brampton, ON

technocar2

said by yyzlhr:

said by technocar2:

said by rogersuck:

We don't know that. So far the channels that have been migrated to digital only are not available on clear QAM.

Who is "we"...I know that DTA50 does not have a CPU capable of decrypting anything thus rogers is leaving said channels un-encrypted, any modern day TV can get all clear digital channels. If you have some other info about this then please enlighten me.