how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chele

join:2003-07-23
kudos:1

Multiple unit deployments (MUD?)

We want to target office buildings. Have a single wireless link, run the line to the data/phone room and distribute it from there to the different tenants. We would use a DSLAM to use the existing phone lines to the customers within the building. The main concern is how do you deal with the landlord? Who typically owns/controls the data/phone room(the landlord or the phone company)? Is anyone doing something similar? What sort of arrangement have you been able to work out with the landlord? I didn't want to hijack this thread

»Homebrew DSL

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

Landlord owns the phone room typically. Anything in it related to telco is owned by the local Telco wiring from street and any equipment. Wiring within the buildings are owned by the landlord and tenants depending on arrangements they have.

We used to do this all the time The telco tests to the demarc I.E Phone room and from there its your or tenants responsibility to troubleshoot. It worked very well for us.

We used the Zxyxel I think 24 port VDSL dslam units and the CPE that worked with it.

Sometimes in huge apt buildings the landloard works out an agreement that the telco or cable company owns and maintains the inside wiring as well so its less of a headache to the landlord and tennant.
--
»www.accelwireless.com
ComTrain Certified Tower Climber.
Wireless and IT consultant.
Proficient in Mikrotik

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
reply to Chele

You could use Cisco LRE for this and get the equipment for nothing on eBay

Chele

1 edit
reply to Chele

We would like to start this in Q1 next year. What sort of arrangement did you work out with the landlord(s)? Are you obligated to pay the landlord, or is the fact that you are providing what has become an essential service to the tenants good enough? Our intention is to actually offer higher upload speeds than traditional DSL, even symmetrical speeds. Obviously we wouldn't want to come too strong. We just have no idea what "rights", if any, we have.

Thanks Viperm/Wirelessdog. The equipment recommendations are very appreciated.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to Chele

You should talk to the landlord about getting an "access license" for the building. This will give you rights to use the telecom space for purposes of delivering service to the tenants. You'll probably need to pay them for this, but it all depends on the owner.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

1 edit
reply to Chele

We had no arrangements we acted just like a Telco we are an independent ISP and one of your tenants has asked us to service thier suite. We need to put this equipment on the roof and this unit in the telco room.

Okay go ahead is all we ever got.. Happy Tenants mean landlord is happy... usually hahaha

Isnt the Cisco LRE stuff EOL? like the 575 CPE and C2912 etc.

As long as E-bay has a supply your good I guess. I like to make sure I have stuf available when I need it and I have support but then again thats just me. Zyxel worked great for us, it was not the cheapest but also not the most expensive. It was affordable and worked well for the application we used it in.

Chele

reply to Chele

We hope to be able to do this in some areas that will/might not be very convenient for us to visit on a regular basis, so we need this to be as reliable as possible. EOL gear is not something we really want to play with, we want a product line that is already mature and very stable. We have never used Zyxel but it's good to know it has worked well for others. Any other recommendations?

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to Chele

I had looked at the zyxel stuff aswell, looked pretty good, quite reasonable in terms of price aswell, except if you get into the (24/48?? can remember which), hardened dslam, that one was expensive!

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

They had a less expensive line in the 24-48 port but it was Eol a few years back.