clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to zombiex1

Re: change of router changes line speed

What do you mean by linespeed? Is this your internet speed? Upload or download? How are you measuring it?

You don't mention any device other than some routers. Are you measuring speed from a computer? Is it connected to the router? Wired or wireless? Are any other devices connected to the router when you're measuring 'linespeed'? Any other device sharing the same medium that your are attempting to measure?
--
db

zombiex1

@sky.com
By linespeed I mean the fixed wire line into the house. I do not get as far as checking the wifi speed because with the new routers I only get 1mg at the router.

The PC is wired to the router. No other devices share the router (although I would think that this is immaterial given that the identical setup is used for both types of router)

The PC is a dell inspiron 530s with 4gb of memory and twin 1tb HDDs. again I think this is immaterial as I have the same issues when using a direct wired laptop.

I measure the speed three ways. a) online speed checkers b) looking at the stats on the router (see below) c) by the feel of the responses to web page requests.

the stats are: The 934g Download = 3.196; Atten = 55; Noise = 9 Upload = .796; Atten = 33; Noise = 11

The sagem n router Download = 1.109; Atten = 56; noise =9 Upload = .576; Atten = 34.7; Noise = 10.10

Hope this helps and thanks for your interest.
Al

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

said by zombiex1 :

the stats are: The 934g Download = 3.196; Atten = 55; Noise = 9 Upload = .796; Atten = 33; Noise = 11

The sagem n router Download = 1.109; Atten = 56; noise =9 Upload = .576; Atten = 34.7; Noise = 10.10

Those look like DSL modem stats to me. Are you using combination modem/routers? From what I've read, different modems handle mediocre line quality very differently. It has also been said that matching the modem's chipset to the DSLAM's can improve reliability and performance, so you might be running into that.

My recommendation is always to use a separate modem and router, since devices that are really good at both are purely hypothetical until proven otherwise.
--
db

zombiex1

@sky.com
Yes all of the routers I'm using are combination routers. I would have thought that the new Sky hub would match all of the Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer mechanisams available. I dont quite understand what could be so different within the routers to cause this effect.
Al