When will we see a Retina iMac?

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal

Premium Member

We will see them in stores the day after Apple announces them.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
I frankly dont see the need for one... How close do you sit to your screen?

Right now I'm sitting in front of a 2560x1600 30" screen with a pixel pitch of .255mm which is only about 100PPI, but I sit 2 feet in front of it and I don't see the pixels.

Cortland
Premium Member
join:2002-08-24
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

You are right. On the other hand when I saw the iPad mini it looked horrible compared to the Retina iPad so what happens to your argument? With the iMac there are no power constraints (as opposed to the laptop), but the sheer size of that panel makes it just a $ 5000 panel today. I guess Apple is waiting for the price to come down.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I don't think we'll see 300PPI+ desktop displays... I just don't think its necessary.

Sure, someday we'll see higher resolution, but it wont be a dramatic jump like we saw to the 300PPI+ phone/tablet displays.

Cortland
Premium Member
join:2002-08-24
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

Yeah who needs more than 640K right? Apple is gonna ship that puppy the minute they can say "and for an extra $ 600...one more thing" and we will all swoon like Aluminum eaters to the credit card(s).

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
I have no issues with my 2010 iMac screen. Would I like a retina, yes. Do i need it, no.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
I have the same 30" Dell panels and I can see the pixels without much issue.
skeechan

skeechan to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
There comes a point where the eye can no longer discern individual pixels. At that point you have a valid "who needs it" moment. While new apps and processes will require more and more memory, the eye will not see any better. But yeah, I'll throttle that CC in a second if they rolled one out.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

When sitting 2 feet away during normal use?

Of course I can see the pixels when i stick my nose to it.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by HiVolt:

said by skeechan:

When sitting 2 feet away during normal use?

Of course I can see the pixels when i stick my nose to it.

I know right ... my Thunderbolt display looks phenomenal and when you don't have anything different sitting right beside it to reference it to there's no way you could tell the difference between it and a retina display.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
I don't know exactly how far but it is fingertip distance and I'm 6' tall, so more than 2' I would guess. I can see the pixel edges of icons and stuff on the Dell pretty easily (like the Premium tags here on DSLR and particularly when italicized). On my T-Bolt display I can't from the same distance. It's odd because the T-Bolt is 109PPI while the Dell is 101. Maybe it is the glass and coating on the T-Bolt that softens the image just enough so I can't see it.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
I never see pixels on my Samsung monitor but I have no clue what its dpi is. just that it runs at 1920x1200 and is an 2693HM(going to guess Samsung made the panel too, but not about to take it apart to find out.

I doubt until the price comes down you will see one of the retina displays in an iMac considering the market that machine is angled at. That said I would not be surprised if they at some point angle one at their pro users in the form of a stand alone monitor aimed at the Mac Pro.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by Kearnstd:

I never see pixels on my Samsung monitor but I have no clue what its dpi is. just that it runs at 1920x1200

26" 8:5 screen is 22.05" x 13.78", so 1920 / 22.05 = 87.08 PPI/DPI. For comparison:
• iPad Retina display is 264 dpi
• 13" MBPr is 226
• 15" MBPr is 220.5
• 27" iMac is 108.8
• 21.5" iMac is 102
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit

Kearnstd

Premium Member

ahh not surprised its that low. its about 4yrs old. And likely explains why my 2011MBP looks a lot better.(MBP is also LED backlight. I have just not desired to upgrade this one since its a good sized screen and still works just fine.)

however... Even for a non-Apple computer it would seem that using this fun link. »members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html providing its accurate. for high resolution displays in the 27" range the Apple Cinema has the best dpi at 108.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Cortland

MVM

to Cortland
said by Cortland:

It seems the Mac Pro and to a lesser degree the iMac are the most neglected from the Apple lineup. A retina Cinema / Thunderbolt display is just as fair a question and in both cases I think it will take a while.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

I am sure the yields would be amazingly poor at present, especially seeing as how they can't even get a 27" iMac in acceptable yields yet.
Expand your moderator at work