Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

redxii

Mod

Hand tire inflator..

I'm tired of pumping in quarters for air at the gas station, I live in the sticks so going to a Discount Auto isn't an option as the tires would be hot when I get there. I'm looking for something to top off when the temperature changes.

Anyone have any experience with something like these? »www.autozone.com/autozon ··· 469_0_0_

I can't find any reviews, but there are for the 12V electric ones but they didn't seem very good from overheating to failing quickly.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

mob (banned)

I picked up a little "Husky" branded unit from Homeless Despot when I had 2 cars and a truck in my driveway and a garage slightly bigger than a shoe box.

»www.homedepot.com/Husky/ ··· okIe7Pzg

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to redxii

MVM

to redxii
You are not going to be able to hand pump a car tire.

treetop1000
join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY

treetop1000 to redxii

to redxii
Walmart. They sell a 12v model from Chicago Pnuematic that has served me well and it's a pretty compact model as well. I've even used it out on a friends farm to re-inflate a tractor tire (no, not one of the big ones) after a rock pinched the beadlock out of place. Once we had the tire lifted off the ground and recentered the tire on the wheel, a few minutes later we had enough pressure to drive on it. No issues at all.
They're pretty inexpensive, I think I gave approx $20 for mine.
One thing I needed was one small enough to fit into the spare tire wheel well.
I have not had any problems with "overheating" but then I'm not using it as a daily tool either. It see's a little use at least once or twice a year and so far hasn't failed me yet. What more do you want for $20.

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan
Asus RT-AC3100
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2

redxii to CylonRed

Mod

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Care to elaborate? Why would they say it's for car tires if it isn't possible? It may take a long time to fully inflate but I'm just talking about topping off a few psi.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

said by redxii:

said by CylonRed:

Care to elaborate?

I guess go buy a hand operated pump, try to add 3psi to a tire when it's cold. Let us know what you think of it.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

I did it a few weeks ago. Multiple tires on one car. I am bitter because all the gas stations charge for air now.

Not as exciting as apple pie, but certainly do-able.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to redxii

to redxii
Click for full size
I have a 12v one from Harbor Freight.
»www.harborfreight.com/12 ··· 068.html I got mine for $22, less the coupon that they always run in their ads.

In fact used it this morning on all 4 tires on a F150. One tire was at 20 and the highest was 26 [had not checked them in a long time - do not drive much right now]. Took 1/2 hour to bring all up to 36lbs.

Yeah, it gets warm, but have had it for 4 years with no problem. I have had other 12v pumps and they come in handy.

As to an actual "hand" pump, only use if you want the exercise. Some years ago, someone let the air out of my tires on the passenger side of a Van loaded with plants. Took me 45 minutes at 4am to get them to just 15lbs, so I could drive to a gas station for air. Had left the 12v in another vehicle.

hth

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to redxii

Premium Member

to redxii
This definitely isn't the cheapest option but why not go for a cheap air compressor? »www.harborfreight.com/3- ··· 275.html goes for $39.99 if you catch it on sale, and it's a very good compressor for basic tasks like filling tires, cleaning out computers, etc. I had mine for over a year before upgrading to a larger unit. Add another $9-12 for hoses and inflators and you're good to go.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

downside is that cannot be run off the car.

But I do agree at home it seems like a rather nice tool to have around. I have considered one even just for cleaning things out as it seems like a cheaper option in the long run than canned air

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

1 edit

aurgathor to redxii

to redxii
I have a hand pump, but I normally use it for my bicycle -- trying to pump up a car tire will quite a bit of exercise, I can tell you.

If you really want a human powered pump, get a foot operated one like this: »compare.ebay.com/like/28 ··· var=sbar -- it's much easier to operate it than a hand pump.

Methinks the best option would be an electric pump -- either a 12V portable or a 110V air compressor. Harbor Freight has several, starting from a $5 - $10 cheapie to an $50+ high volume pump. The cheap one is good for very occasional use (it will wear out) the more expensive ones will usually last much longer.
Expand your moderator at work

deke40
deke40
Premium Member
join:2003-01-23
Texas

deke40 to redxii

Premium Member

to redxii

Re: Hand tire inflator..

Might be a good idea to get use to this.

The new Kia Soul and some others cars are coming with no spare and a can of fix-a-flat type stuff and a small compressor.

I guess if you have a blow out you or SOL.

I have the 5 year 100k service so I am not worried for awhile.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed

Premium Member

said by removed:

»www.harborfreight.com/3- ··· 275.html goes for $39.99 if you catch it on sale

The sale is on:
»www.harborfreight.com/3- ··· rce=1012

$39.99 today.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to redxii

Premium Member

to redxii
I bought one of these:

»www.lowes.com/pd_146781- ··· _price|0

$40, 110v or 12v. I've only ever used it on 110v.

Seems ok to me. Sure, there are some negative reviews: there always are. But I figured for $40, and my intended occasional use, I didn't have to over-think it. It's very easy to use, which is why I chose this model.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to redxii

Premium Member

to redxii
Just a heads up if it's not already been said, some air pumps at gas stations have a little button on the underside of it (left side) press it one or twice and you don't need to pay for air.

Places around here want $.50 for air.. that BS I haven't paid for air in over 4 years.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

$1 for air around here. Last weekend, I bought the same inflator Dave linked to 2 posts up.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to redxii

to redxii
Same here .75 to 1.00 for air.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
That's just nuts..

I'm going to be getting this one when I head down on the beach next year.

»www.amazon.com/Industrie ··· AB9K8DED
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

I like the Kobalt one. You hook up the hose, its digital display shows the current pressure, you enter the desired pressure, press start, and it automatically shuts off at the set pressure.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It's nice but I wished the air delivery rate was faster, when you have to do 4 tires that are down to 10 psi back up to 35 it can be a pain.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

The point of having an air pump at home is that you don't let your tire pressure get down to 10 psi....

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

said by dave:

The point of having an air pump at home is that you don't let your tire pressure get down to 10 psi....

You don't drive on the beach with street pressure...

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

It's nice but I wished the air delivery rate was faster, when you have to do 4 tires that are down to 10 psi back up to 35 it can be a pain.

If your tires are that low, then either you need to rethink your maintenance intervals or you own a trails truck and just got back from rock climbing or driving on sand dunes.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Look above

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

Look above

For a dune ready vehicle you should have a on-board air tank reservoir and compressor to keep up with the larger than normal air volume replacement needed when transiting from sand to pavement again.

Complete Onboard Air Systems
»www.tellico4x4.com/index ··· 44_14760

Or refit a a/c compressor for making compressed air.

York Compressor for On-Board Air
»www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep ··· air.html
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

I remember we had a circa-1970 Pontiac that had an engine-driven air pump under the hood, along with a hose long enough to reach all four tires.