dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to Beezel

to Beezel

Re: Sandy ... mom GAVE AWAY her damaged car :/ help analyze!

said by Beezel:

Yes, but there are those that want a warranty on a rebuilt engine and not a used one. So they are willing to pay the price for it. If they didn't those reman engine shops wouldn't be in business very long.

i agree, but for THAT particular engine in multiple GM cars, my replacement grand prix cost me less than the price of a re-build, had 3 months warranty and well was newer.

I dont know about in your parts, but just to give an idea on how common (and reliable) the 3.8 is here at the salvage yards you can get a 1 year warranty 3.8 for 400$, compared to the 2.4l 4cyl that was in the sunfire, its 1300$!

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Beezel to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

It's not a question of whether or not it can be rebuilt. It's a matter of if it's economically viable to rebuild it. Properly rebuilding the engine and transmission alone is going to be more than the vehicle is worth. That doesn't account for all the other electrical items that are going to need to be replaced, the new interior, or all the other gremlins that are going to show up.

Sorry but there is a misunderstanding.

I am not talking about the owner rebuild it wouldn't be worth it. A salvage yard or the person (whichever bought it) can make money from it. They sell the engine core to engine remanufactures like Jasper. Sell the other parts on Craigslist or such, if the salvage yard has it they sell all the usable parts outright. So there is money in flooded vehicles in the parts business. $250 paid for car could be easily recovered by the buyer.
said by telco_mtl:

exactly, its a 3.8 v6, great engine but a dime a dozen, i had a spotless 97 grand prix and when the head gasket went south it was cheaper for me to pick up an 02 grand prix than fix it.

Yes, but there are those that want a warranty on a rebuilt engine and not a used one. So they are willing to pay the price for it. If they didn't those reman engine shops wouldn't be in business very long.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Beezel:

Also you can clean, machine, and repair the engine block and head cores themselves and use in a total rebuild. Been there and done that and have the t-shirt and calluses from it.

It's not a question of whether or not it can be rebuilt. It's a matter of if it's economically viable to rebuild it. Properly rebuilding the engine and transmission alone is going to be more than the vehicle is worth. That doesn't account for all the other electrical items that are going to need to be replaced, the new interior, or all the other gremlins that are going to show up.

exactly, its a 3.8 v6, great engine but a dime a dozen, i had a spotless 97 grand prix and when the head gasket went south it was cheaper for me to pick up an 02 grand prix than fix it.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to Beezel

MVM

to Beezel
said by Beezel:

Also you can clean, machine, and repair the engine block and head cores themselves and use in a total rebuild. Been there and done that and have the t-shirt and calluses from it.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to rjgogo

to rjgogo
said by rjgogo:

If the water is high enough it comes in from the intake, not the exhaust and salt water in a cylinder for days means trashed.

The exhaust manifolds are "usually" lower than the actual opening to the intake not air box, so it can enter from the exhaust just as well. Also you can clean, machine, and repair the engine block and head cores themselves and use in a total rebuild. Been there and done that and have the t-shirt and calluses from it.