Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44 to camper

Premium Member

to camper

Re: A tale of two Cable Companies

Both companies are giving refunds for what the customer says they were out for. In both cases the customer has to call in. ONE AND THE SAME. Maybe you needed to be one of the customers that like me had to actually make the call to see there was no pleading involved. OH yea pleading was your words not theirs. I WAS one of them and no pleading was involved. It was simply call and tell them how long you were out for and a credit issued. I really didnt lose service but lost electric and figured what the hell might as well get mine.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 edit

camper

Premium Member

said by rody_44:

Both companies are giving refunds for what the customer says they were out for. In both cases the customer has to call in. ONE AND THE SAME.

I agree you have to call in in both circumstances. But it is what you know before you call in that is different.

All I knew about Comcast's policy was that they would talk to me about my situation.

Cablevision's statement, on the other hand, says its customers can receive a credit for any "full or partial day during which they were unable to access Optimum services,"; according to a statement on its website.

"Customers who have experienced a loss of service should contact Cablevision within 30 days of service being restored and request a credit for their regular monthly charges during the period when Optimum TV, phone or Internet products were unavailable, including periods when there was no electricity to the home or business where the services are received," said the statement.

Cablevision's senior executive vice president, Kristin Dolan added: "Customers will not be responsible for any damage to Cablevision equipment caused by the storm, and will be able to exchange damaged equipment at no cost."

And for the record, when I called in and Comcast talked with me individually about my refund request, they told me I would not get a refund for the time the power was out. Let me say that again, Comcast told me that they will not give me a refund for the time the power was out. That is the problem with "handling the customer individually", you really do not know what Comcast will do until you call.

Cablevision, on the other hand, explicitly tells you in their statement that they will give you a refund for the time the power was out.

That is the difference in the wording of which I speak.

Comcast has a history of mistreating its customers during diasaters. Just read this article: »metrocolumnistsblog.dall ··· vic.html

It looked like Comcast backed down only when their behavior became a public relations mess for them.
RalphKramden
join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA

1 recommendation

RalphKramden

This seems to conflict with what is being said here...

Cablevision sued for $250 million over Sandy outages

»newsandinsight.thomsonre ··· outages/

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

Not really a conflict. The lawsuit says that if you don't call, you don't get the refund. That's no different than what Cablevision has stated publically.

On the other hand, Comcast said, after Cablevision had made their public statement, that Comcast would work with customers individually. It looked like Comcast timed their announcement so that it would seem that Comcast was offering the same "refund for the entire time of the power outage" that Cablevision was offering. Riding on the coattails of the goodwill that Cablevision's announcement had generated. It worked, most of the press bought it.

Unfortunately for Comcast customers, the reality of the statement appears when you call up Comcast, you are told that there is no refund for the time when the power was out. That part wasn't mentioned in Comcast's press announceents. Gee, I wonder why Comcast wouldn't want that to be part of the public announcement? Could Comcast be talking out of both sides of its mouth?

Comcast's statement of working with customers individually apparently means that a customer has to call up to find out that there's no refund for the power outage.

Just like during Hurricane Ike when Comcast sent a collection agency after those customers whose set-top boxes were damaged in the storm. "Working individually with the customers"

Customer Service, a la Comcast.