spc
Search similar:

uniqs

NJ07830
@myvzw.com

NJ07830

Anon

[CenturyTel] 5 day commitment to fix business DSL

We're a longtime business DSL customer that reported no internet access this morning (wed, 11/14). The CSR was very nice and confirmed that there is a problem in the CO affecting many customers.

Unfortunately, he told me that there is no commitment to fix the problem until Monday, 11/19, 5 days from now.

Is this possible? We have to run our business and will certainly not wait more than two days before switching to cable.

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

A huge natural disaster notwithstanding, that is unacceptable for business class service. I'm surprised you aren't already on the phone with the cable provider after being told that.

NJ07830
@myvzw.com

NJ07830

Anon

said by Hazy Arc:

A huge natural disaster notwithstanding, that is unacceptable for business class service. I'm surprised you aren't already on the phone with the cable provider after being told that.

I was hoping someone would say that the CSR was mistaken. This is the first problem we've had in years.

Flemington
@strandmanagement.com

Flemington to NJ07830

Anon

to NJ07830
Similar problem in Flemington, NJ 08822. Residential DSL with no internet access since 11/10. Robo-CSR says it will be fixed in about a day, every day that I have called. They slip the repair date by one day everyday. Something bad happened.

NJ07830
@myvzw.com

NJ07830

Anon

said by Flemington :

Similar problem in Flemington, NJ 08822. Residential DSL with no internet access since 11/10. Robo-CSR says it will be fixed in about a day, every day that I have called. They slip the repair date by one day everyday. Something bad happened.

Good to know, Flemington. Looking to see how fast we can get up on Comcast.

Dolgan
Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

Dolgan to NJ07830

Premium Member

to NJ07830
quote:
there is a problem in the CO affecting many customers.

Unfortunately, he told me that there is no commitment to fix the problem until Monday, 11/19, 5 days from now.

Is this possible?
Would suspect it is an equipment issue since it is affecting many customers. The reason it may take so long is if they have to order and wait for delivery of the replacement part/equipment/whatever they need to complete repairs. Telcos no longer keep replacements on hand as they did 20 years ago and their customers get to suffer for it.
GetMoney
join:2010-06-11

GetMoney to NJ07830

to NJ07830
Also keep in mind that CTL experienced significant damage throughout it's service territory in NJ because of Sandy. They may have had this part before the storm hit and there's no telling what happened to it. Most of the techs are probably working on rebuilding infrastructure and I'm sure that doesn't help with fixing this. I'm not trying to dissuade the OP but just maybe some additional reasoning for the long delay in repairing things.
hokulea2
join:2004-08-15
Flagstaff, AZ

hokulea2 to NJ07830

to NJ07830
I'm located in Flagstaff, Arizona. My phone and DSL failed on the night of Fri, Nov 9. Took four days to fix. For the past 8-10 years, every time there is a storm with precip that begins as rain then changes to snow both my phone and DSL fail. I've lost track of how many times I have had to request a repair. A couple of years ago my connection required three repairs in one month followed by two the next.

This time around, it took 3 or 4 calls to Century Link's 800 number to get my line fixed. Since I've experienced continuous intermittent problems for so many years I was told my repair was going to be a priority. They went a couple of days past their promised date and time. Not surprising since there are only 8 repair guys servicing all of Northern Arizona. I feel sorry for them.

Each time I spoke with a Century Link CSR, I asked how I could file a complaint at the corporate level. Apparently there is no means to do so. I assume that's by design. If there is no means to file a complaint then Century Link can honestly claim they get few complaints. Dealing with Century Link is like being in a third world country.

I've had enough! I plan on mounting a letter writing campaign beginning with the local newspaper and continuing by sending a formal letter of complaint to the AZ State Corporation Commission, the state legislature, as well as my US Congressional representatives and senators. Following my letter campaign, I am going to look into what is involved in filing a class action lawsuit.

I'm sick and tired of all the BS I have had to endure for nearly a decade with Qwest as well as the past couple of years with Century Link. Quality of service isn't my only issue with them. The practice of quoting DSL speeds with the disclaimer "up to" is deceptive and dishonest advertising. Enough is enough.

NJ07830
@embarqhsd.net

NJ07830 to NJ07830

Anon

to NJ07830
I believe that it's only fair to update this to say that the problem was actually fixed within 12 hours of reporting it. I haven't heard about my ticket, but my DSL is restored.

I'm very happy that I wasn't able to switch (it was impossible to nail down an installation date from Comcast before committing to an order with them). As I said, CenturyLink has been otherwise very reliable for us. It was the idea of going 5 days at our business without internet that was the driving factor. (Today I purchased a mobile hotspot as a stopgap.)

In the end, I suppose my only complaint is that the ticket system could not give an earlier commitment even though it was possible. This almost cost CenturyLink a customer and us a reliable service.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to NJ07830

to NJ07830
Hi there.

Our management team would be happy to look into this for you. Send us the account details and we'll see what's going on:

TalkToUs@Centurylink.com

Thank you!
-Doug

NJ07830
@192.234.111.x

NJ07830

Anon

said by CenturyLink:

Hi there.
Our management team would be happy to look into this for you. Send us the account details and we'll see what's going on:

Thanks, Doug: We're good. Please see above.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to NJ07830

to NJ07830
If you have business that requires the internet to work then I might suggest still getting the connection from Comcast. Use a load balancing router. If one connection fails you will have the other one. Or load balancing when both do work.

Of course also redundancy in your local network and back up power incase power goes off.

Old_CableGuy
@planetcr.net

Old_CableGuy

Anon

Actually I now recommend a 4G hotspot. You can set it up with the same wireless SSID and WPA2 key as your standard Wifi network. Primary internet goes down, unplug the router and power this up.

Get prepaid and the cheapest plan you can. If you need to use it, call and switch plans.

Realistically, though, if you're in a small town a single fiber cut to that town could take down all internet. Cable and phone share the same right of ways.

Boss302_1970
join:2009-12-11

Boss302_1970

^^ +1
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Old_CableGuy

to Old_CableGuy
said by Old_CableGuy :

Actually I now recommend a 4G hotspot. You can set it up with the same wireless SSID and WPA2 key as your standard Wifi network. Primary internet goes down, unplug the router and power this up.

Get prepaid and the cheapest plan you can. If you need to use it, call and switch plans.

Realistically, though, if you're in a small town a single fiber cut to that town could take down all internet. Cable and phone share the same right of ways.

Not all the time. Plus depending on the mobile provider they may be using that same trench for their backbone as may or may not use wireless backbone in all cases.