Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to trparky

Re: Can AMD survive?

I wouldn't say piledriver is a flop. Sure in single threaded applications is looses to intel, but in multi threaded it wins right now. the fx8350 is the same price as a 3570k, yet in multithreaded applications it performs on par with a 3770k(at stock speeds) for about $100 less. For multi-threaded stuff like compiling and some server stuff amd is still great. Just not a gaming cpu.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
Most applications, even Office and business applications are single threaded. Games are too. So if you have a CPU that under-performs in the majority of what computers are used for today, that's a problem.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Yeah, you really think people will be able to tell a difference when using ms office on an amd cpu and not an intel one?

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
reply to me1212
AMD does just fine in gaming. I'm still using a Phenom II 1090T coupled with a HD6870 everything runs at or close to max settings on a 1080p monitor.
Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, etc...
--
I voted for Snoopy!

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
I know they do, about 1/4 of the gamers I know use amd. Partially because we live near microcenter and amd cpus come with a free mobo. Sure the i3 may be better for games but most people I know don't think its $50 or more better.