toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico

Two questions before I make the move to cable

I've been a Teksavvy DSL customer for 7-8 years and thinking of switching to the Cable 28 package. I have 2 questions:
- how are the speeds in the York Mills POI these days and how they have been for the past few months ? I'm in the Lawrence/Victoria Park area, I believe our neighborhood is served by this POI
- what D3 modem and firmware version would you recommend ? I see various reports of Motorola and RCA modems good at some point then become unstable when Rogers makes changes to their network and then the users are advised to replace the modem.
--
Providers: voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro through asterisk. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
Hi There,

Checking out the POI it didn't peak whatsoever last night, but obviously not living there I can't give a personal review of the POI. The DOCSIS 3 modem I would recommend is the one we sell, as it comes with a one year warranty, has the correct firmware, and you save twenty dollars on your activation. My opinion is clearly on a money based, but other users may have other suggestions when it comes to how a modem works on a network.

If you have any questions or need help ordering, please feel free to message us in the direct forum anytime!

Liz

toro

Scarborough, ON
reply to toro
Thanks Elizabeth.
Any end users on the York Mills POI who can share their experience ?

komi

join:2011-07-08
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to toro
I'm at Don Mills and Van Horne, Express with D2 modem - 18/.5, pretty solid except 9pm-11pm, when speedtest.net shows 22/.5 MBit/sec, but considering speedboost, that's probably 10-12 Mbit/sec. Some time ago I downloaded a large file and the real speed was 1.5 MByte/sec.
Outside the peak hours, speedtest.net is showing 32-33 Mbit/sec, even it's a D2 modem.

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
reply to toro
I am also on YorkMills POI and getting my full download speeds on Extreme Cable (aka Cable 28). DonMills/Overlea. D3 modem.

The only time I see a slowdown usually is Sunday when all the HBO shows air but that could be my newsgroup provider

toro

Scarborough, ON
reply to toro
If I were to get a Motorola modem, which one is better, SB6120 or SB6121 ?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
Both SurfBoards are essentially the same. 4x4 channel bonding. Its just a matter of availablity if you can find either one someplace with current firmware.