Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

said by vue666:

In drag racing automatics are preferred as they are more consistent allowing the driver to keep as close as possible to his "index" without going over it (which would result in being a disallowed run)....

I thought they used sequential transmissions rather than proper automatics?
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

said by Gone:

said by vue666:

In drag racing automatics are preferred as they are more consistent allowing the driver to keep as close as possible to his "index" without going over it (which would result in being a disallowed run)....

I thought they used sequential transmissions rather than proper automatics?

I think it depends on the class... It's been quite a while since I really followed the NHRA or IHRA. Perhaps Peterboro can pipe in...

I know some classes use something like the Lenco manual trans which has a shift lever for each gear. I know Pro Stock class used Lenco...

While other classes seem to prefer automatics. A Top Fuel rail does the 1/4 mile in 4 seconds (approx) so not a lot of time to shift...
quote:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po ··· e#Racing

Racing

Although it is a very old design, the Power Glide still has a strong following in drag racing due to its strength and simplicity.[5] Power Glides are also popular in mud racing and monster truck racing. In the first few years after introduction, they became known as the "Slip-N-Slide Power Glide", due to the fluid coupling, (as opposed to the mechanical coupling of a clutch-driven gearbox), and the "Positive-Pop transmission" This last is due to the characteristic "bump" or "pop" which occurs as the transmission is put into gear from neutral.
Currently Robert Campisi from Australia holds the World Record for the fastest run using a Power Glide transmission, clocking 5.95s at 260 mph in his Twin Turbo Ford Mustang in September 2011.[6]

Again it's been quite a while since I followed drag racing....

Summit Racing has a lot of Powerglides for sale...

»www.summitracing.com/sea ··· werglide

»www.atiracing.com/produc ··· ndex.htm

»www.lencoracing.com/

Again Peterboro can correct me...