Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: 'I'm Probably Not Going to Leave the House,'

said by 88615298:

Yeah he can download that page in .002 seconds instead of .1 seconds. Imagine all the time he is saving!

Speeds like this are only good if you are doing major file transfers(or BitTorrent activity) OR have a residence with a 1/2 dozen people all trying to watch HD movies at the same time. For web browsing it means nothing over what the average cable customer is getting.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

even if you had 6 people watching Netflix( which only allows 2 devices at a time by the way ) at 4800 kbps that would be just under 29 Mbps. Even if you had double that for overhead that's 58 Mbps. 700 Mbps is overkill at this point. But they're ready for 20 years from now.
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

2 edits

Crusty to FFH5

to FFH5
said by 88615298:

Yeah he can download that page in .002 seconds instead of .1 seconds. Imagine all the time he is saving!

These speeds might not be for you....I'm guessing here...they're not.

But for the many, hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands and so on of people who pay more for something 100th the speed of this or worse, we'd gladly take it for the same price (or cheaper for that) than what we pay now.

Not all of us are BitTorrent nerds or even dl one illegal thing. There are countless folks out there, and in these forums, that have a house that have MULTIPLE (ie...a dozen or more) devices constantly pounding away on the silly "up to 10Mb" connection (if you're lucky to get those speeds). Care to guess what happens to that 10Mb connection? It goes poop.

Current telcos/cablecos need to get with it and give society what they want now vs when they decide it's time.

The internet will become a necessity whether anyone here thinks it or not. There's not a single person in my life, family, work, personal or just mere acquaintances that aren't connected to the interweb in some form or another.

*offsoapbox*
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

1 edit

Terabit to 88615298

to 88615298
Actually, it's more about the price and the pathetic cable service most Americans are forced to endure.

Without their overpriced TV service, Comcast demands I pay $62.95 for a 20mb DL and 4mb U/L service.
Expand your moderator at work
Coolbrz
join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA

Coolbrz to Terabit

to Terabit

said by Terabit:

Actually, it's more about the price and the pathetic cable service most Americans are forced to endure.

Without their overpriced TV service, Comcast demands I pay $62.95 for a 20mb DL and 4mb U/L service.

This is the main reason im (and i would venture a guess, alot of people) happy to see this service released.

My area, its comcast, as Telco has or the Verizon DSL i currently have.

Verizon is raising prices (im currently contemplating Comcast)

So lets look at the big picture

Verizon - 3M/768k = 39$
Comcast - 20M/4M = 63$
Google - 1000M/1000M = 70$

I honestly cannot see how anyone can really say anything negative about the service at that price point compared to other services, that is directed to the poster above who says it's overkill.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

But they're ready for 20 years from now.

20 Years? i really can't tell if you are trolling or just clueless.
Try at least 200 terabits 20 years from now, and by then we'll also have other neat things like computers that fit inside your cells.

I guess i could excuse you for being so short sighted when predicting the future, but you have no excuse not remembering the past. Do you have any clue just how much faster Google's connection is than what you used ~20 years ago?
It's about 69,444.4 times faster than what you used back then, and you think we're still going to be using gigabit connections 20 years from now?
Come on, no one is that stupid. stop trolling!

roc5955
Premium Member
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY

roc5955 to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
Please show your feelings and tell him. Truthfully.
Thank You.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

2 recommendations

fifty nine to Kamus

to Kamus
Where's my flying car?

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to Coolbrz

Premium Member

to Coolbrz
said by Coolbrz:

I honestly cannot see how anyone can really say anything negative about the service at that price point compared to other services, that is directed to the poster above who says it's overkill.

It's just the usual anti-consumer, anti-Google ranters bitching about it. Ignore them.
Expand your moderator at work
Kamus
El Paso, TX

Kamus to fifty nine

to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

Where's my flying car?

Flying cars are not an information technology. Anything that becomes an information technology becomes susceptible to the exponential growth that has been happening very visibly for decades. (it was happening before then too, but too slowly to be that noticeable)

And at this point we don't even need to wait decades to see it. It took decades for personal computers to become mainstream. Smart phones and tablets took only a fraction of that time to become mainstream.
Prices for tablet-like technology will become so cheap in less than a decade that owning one will be about as special as owning a magazine.

I thought people here that consider themselves somewhat "geek" would understand how this works better than your average Joe. Clearly i was wrong.

We've been on the path to an era of information abundance for some time now in case you haven't noticed.

So while predicting things like flying cars, missions to Mars and things like that have proved to be very inaccurate and difficult. It's just simply not the case for information technologies.

Here's an example:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ZebE8O84

He is pretty much spot on with everything he said, except for the bit where the consoles he talks about turned out to be actually more than just monitors but full fledged computers. However, he is still right since those computers connect to much more powerful ones to get the information he talks about (he's basically predicting Google)

So, be as skeptic as you want when it comes to this. (which boggles the mind since all you have to do is look at were we were 20 years ago and how far we've come)

So i guess you're really going to be shocked when in just 2-3 years you can buy a fully featured 50 dollar tablet.

And objects are already starting to be an information technology. So who knows, that flying car might happen after all. (i won't be holding my breath on that one though)

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Kamus:

So i guess you're really going to be shocked when in just 2-3 years you can buy a fully featured 50 dollar tablet.

in 2012 dollars?

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate to Coolbrz

to Coolbrz
said by Coolbrz:

said by Terabit:

This is the main reason im (and i would venture a guess, alot of people) happy to see this service released.

My area, its comcast, as Telco has or the Verizon DSL i currently have.

Verizon is raising prices (im currently contemplating Comcast)

So lets look at the big picture

Verizon - 3M/768k = 39$
Comcast - 20M/4M = 63$
Google - 1000M/1000M = 70$

It IS overkill. But I wouldn't complain.
Kamus
El Paso, TX

Kamus to AVD

to AVD
said by AVD:

in 2012 dollars?

Sure, here's how you do that:

Go to the bank, and if possible ask for brand new printed dollars (you have to do this before January 2013 of course) That way, you are sure you have 2012 made dollars.

Now, take the brand new 50 dollars you got from the bank and put them in a box (a safe if you have one is preferable)

You then wait 2-3 years for the 50 dollar tablet to come out, at which point you head to the safe and take the 50 dollars you put there and buy your 50 dollar tablet. (tax not included)

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask, because as you can see i don't mind answering them no matter how stupid they are or how stupid the person asking it is. (hard to tell which is which, most of the time it's both)

-- Kamus

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Hmmmm i doubt it

$50 in the next few years very well may be devalued by a lot so I wouldn't be putting down bets like that. Federal Reserve is activities trying to devalue the US dollar against world currencies and that could mean a can a coke will cost $50 in the next 5 years.

Also businesses put a floor on how cheap things can be made for, there is a point where it doesn't make sense to bother being in a certain business. $50 Tablet just becomes a generic widget but it's to complicated to get that cheap with a decent resolution, features etc. Plain Jane black and white??/ Probbaly could be done right now but no money to be made in that.

Actually here's one for $129. »www.tigerdirect.com/appl ··· 85-70101
Corehhi

Corehhi

Oh crap I did some checking real fast and I may be proving myself wrong...LOL. What do you consider a tablet because here is one for $80. »www.amazon.com/PanDigita ··· 97011_12

Depending on what you want the $50 tablet may be here for X-mas.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

Where's my flying car?

A good number of people on the road now haven't yet mastered two-dimensional terrestrial travel yet.

Or would you really want to witness the first mid-air collision occur?
Kamus
El Paso, TX

Kamus to Corehhi

to Corehhi

Re: Hmmmm i doubt it

said by Corehhi:

$50 Tablet just becomes a generic widget but it's to complicated to get that cheap with a decent resolution, features etc. Plain Jane black and white??/ Probbaly could be done right now but no money to be made in that.

I did say fully featured. And i didn't say right now, but 2-3 years from now.

What i'm saying is, you can expect a tablet that is probably more powerful than the nexus 7 (or at least on par with it) 2-3 years from now at a 50 dollar price point. And it will probably be thinner and lighter too.

I actually think I'm being rather conservative with my estimate.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Kamus:

said by Corehhi:

$50 Tablet just becomes a generic widget but it's to complicated to get that cheap with a decent resolution, features etc. Plain Jane black and white??/ Probbaly could be done right now but no money to be made in that.

I did say fully featured. And i didn't say right now, but 2-3 years from now.

What i'm saying is, you can expect a tablet that is probably more powerful than the nexus 7 (or at least on par with it) 2-3 years from now at a 50 dollar price point. And it will probably be thinner and lighter too.

I actually think I'm being rather conservative with my estimate.

never.... even if you factor in inflation. You will see a can of coke for $50 before you see a tablet.

Its not a calculator, after all.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

even if you had 6 people watching Netflix( which only allows 2 devices at a time by the way ) at 4800 kbps that would be just under 29 Mbps. Even if you had double that for overhead that's 58 Mbps. 700 Mbps is overkill at this point. But they're ready for 20 years from now.

it depends on the plan you have. On the Netflix plan I'm on, I can use four devices concurrently to stream from Netflix.
aaronwt

aaronwt to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi

said by Corehhi:

Oh crap I did some checking real fast and I may be proving myself wrong...LOL. What do you consider a tablet because here is one for $80. »www.amazon.com/PanDigita ··· 97011_12

Depending on what you want the $50 tablet may be here for X-mas.

I bought one of those last year. You get what you pay for.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

BF69 is being negative, who would have thought?

whiteshp
join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH

whiteshp to AVD

to AVD

Your post is so wrong on so many levels. With our production in China most of our costs are driven up by middle men/comod exchange sellers. However as more people learn to buy from from overseas and bypass the reselling fat cats general prices in the US are starting to drop fast. I bought a 8" tablet with wifi/HSPA for $49 6 months ago direct from China (Android 512k memory 8GB storage). Not super spec but browses web well and plays flash and that was 6 months ago. The estimate of 2-3 years may be even shorter than that. Hell you can get a Raspberry Pi (raspberrypi.org) for $35. Stick that in a cheap Chinese lcd tablet case you have a nice 1080p full computer for $50 now. It will happen.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

with netflix throttling you'll NEVER netflix at those rates. remember that review that showed the fastest netflix results[fios] at only 2500kbps!