samw
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23
Lakeland, FL

samw

Premium Member

[Tampa] Static Residential IP addresses

Since I am nowhere near a phone, I am starting a new post for this. How much is it now for a static IP address for residential customers?

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy

1 Static IP is $10 a Month.

5 Static IP's is $20 a Month.

Any Speed Package From Standard to Lighting.

I was told on the Phone you will need to swap out the modem to a motorola unit that has Business class Firmware inside and the Router is primary so no more Bridging your own Router to the Modem. And that there are NO Closed Ports so you can run Email, Web, Game, VPN Servers. But remember it's only available in Hillsborough County so far.

Cheers
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bigdaddy:

1 Static IP is $10 a Month.

5 Static IP's is $20 a Month.

Any Speed Package From Standard to Lighting.

I was told on the Phone you will need to swap out the modem to a motorola unit that has Business class Firmware inside and the Router is primary so no more Bridging your own Router to the Modem. And that there are NO Closed Ports so you can run Email, Web, Game, VPN Servers. But remember it's only available in Hillsborough County so far.

Cheers

Incorrect...it is available now in the entire Tampa market
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to bigdaddy

to bigdaddy
I believe you can still bridge this and use your own router..
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by tim tim tim:

Agreed...

bigdaddy

1 edit

bigdaddy to tim tim tim

to tim tim tim

Thanks BD
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bigdaddy:

I was told that I could not by the product development Group that the the router in the modem has to hand out the IPs to the devices that I want to have static.

Um nooooo

bigdaddy

1 edit

bigdaddy

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by bigdaddy:

I was told that I could not by the product development Group that the the router in the modem has to hand out the IPs to the devices that I want to have static.

Um nooooo

BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert to samw

Premium Member

to samw
BD I'm not going to argue with you about it here. I'm sorry if the information you were given was incorrect or there was a misunderstanding of the discussion on your part. It doesn't change the fact that it is incorrect.

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox

More importantly, I just learned that a residential user CAN get a static IP address for $10/m.

Is this valid for Lightning users in 32904 (West Melbourne)???
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Flashfox:

More importantly, I just learned that a residential user CAN get a static IP address for $10/m.

Is this valid for Lightning users in 32904 (West Melbourne)???

Yep you in can in one site only (see above) for CFL right now...it's coming soon to the others soon so no worries.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
OK Thank You.

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Sorry but I don't understand "Yep you in can in one site only" Are you saying that it's available now for one static address in 32904 or it will come "soon"???
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to samw

Premium Member

to samw
CFL Site 20 is the only area, it's easier for me to check by IP so open a direct forums thread and just post your IP and I'll check for you.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to bigdaddy

to bigdaddy
said by bigdaddy:

Are you Sure you can still Bridge the Modem with Static IPs ? I was told that I could not by the product development Group that the the router in the modem has to hand out the IPs to the devices that I want to have static. In other words I would have to manually assign which static IP for ftp for router etc in those devices and then the router in the modem uses what's called pass-though to pass the static to the correct device. I know it did not make sense to me but that's how it was explained to me by PDG.

If you can Bridge the modem Then how do the Static IPs get Assigned. The modem has 4 ports can you assign each port to have a static IP if so how would you assign the fifth IP ?

Thanks BD

The computer (or other device) is set up for which IP it is to use, you can have a static IP wireless or hard wired and any port can do any of the IP's.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy

said by tim tim tim:

said by bigdaddy:

Are you Sure you can still Bridge the Modem with Static IPs ? I was told that I could not by the product development Group that the the router in the modem has to hand out the IPs to the devices that I want to have static. In other words I would have to manually assign which static IP for ftp for router etc in those devices and then the router in the modem uses what's called pass-though to pass the static to the correct device. I know it did not make sense to me but that's how it was explained to me by PDG.

If you can Bridge the modem Then how do the Static IPs get Assigned. The modem has 4 ports can you assign each port to have a static IP if so how would you assign the fifth IP ?

Thanks BD

The computer (or other device) is set up for which IP it is to use, you can have a static IP wireless or hard wired and any port can do any of the IP's.

Thanks tim
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to Flashfox

Premium Member

to Flashfox
said by Flashfox:

Sorry but I don't understand "Yep you in can in one site only" Are you saying that it's available now for one static address in 32904 or it will come "soon"???

Hold off until Monday...got some news for you then.
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ to samw

to samw
I have only seen my IP change once while I've had service with Brighthouse. My IP changed when my equipment changed so how would paying for a static IP make any difference?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to samw

Premium Member

to samw
Truth be told if you leave your modem and router powered all the time your IP will rarely...I mean rarely change....

bigdaddy

1 recommendation

bigdaddy

When BHN implements dual stack IPv4 IPv6. Will the users that pay for the $20 a month 5 static IPv4 Addresses package also get 5 static IPv6 Addresses ?
bigdaddy

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
Is it also Possible to have 2 $20 a month 5 Static IP plans on one account for a total of 10 Static IPs ?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to BHNtechXpert

MVM

to BHNtechXpert
I see an unasked question. The main reason I know of to have a static IP address is to run a server. In the case of an SMTP server, in particular, it is recommended to have a reverse pointer for the domain of the server. Does BHN provide rDNS configuration for its static IP addresses?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to samw

Premium Member

to samw
Not for residential

tlg
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

tlg

Premium Member

Will they swip the IP's to the customer?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by tlg:

Given that this is residential not sure...

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to tim tim tim

to tim tim tim
said by tim tim tim:

Yep. I have biz class installs all over the county and we use our own Junipers at every location.
rebus9

rebus9 to bigdaddy

to bigdaddy
said by bigdaddy:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by bigdaddy:

Um nooooo

Um Yes and I have Name's of the three Reps I spoke with.

Um... no. I can take you to a dozen locations I have on biz class and prove otherwise.

bigdaddy

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by tlg:

Given that this is residential not sure...

What is swip ?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to samw

Premium Member

to samw
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh ··· _Project

bigdaddy

bigdaddy to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
I need to have the Ability for BHN to provide me with Reverse DNS Record's on my 5 IP addresses for my E-mail server and Web Server.

The domains I have are for Personal Use NON Commercial for me and my family's Use Only. I will not be using my IPs for any E-Commerce or Running a Small Business or any other Activity of that sort which would Require BHN Business Class Service.