spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JT01
join:2009-02-03
Charlotte, MI

JT01

DSL Metering

I am an ATT DSL customer in Michigan. After seeing numerous posts about the inaccuracy of ATT's metering method, I decided to run my own experiment. I turned off my modem at 11:30 PM on October 19, 2012 and turned it back on at 12:30 AM on October 21, so the modem was completely off for the entire day of October 20. Despite the impossibility of usage during this period, ATT says I used 340 meg down and 30 meg up for October 20. Maybe the metering is in another time zone, but draw your own conclusions.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

Looks like Do At&T is measuring some other aDSL user...

You might try an experiment and expand the power down hours.. see if you can determine the actual cutoff times(GMT,EST,CST,PST,if there are any).. Do some measured experiments.. like download exactly 100 MB in the middle of shutoff period.. 200MB, etc..

Document everything..
If AT&T starts charging you extra..

File a complaint with the FTC after they've received a fair number of complaints...

The FTC will sue "AT&T" for "unfair or deceptive trade practices"

hyphenated
@bellsouth.net

hyphenated to JT01

Anon

to JT01
Maybe it doesn't compile the stats until later times. Either way at the end of the month it should be close. If you knew exactly when their timer starts you could compare (not what the bill says but the real timer).

I think caps will be enforced and lowered (how much idk?) once the speed issue is addressed. Maybe even total usage based if they can get something standard. Nothing will calculate it the same but i don't think it should be off GBs. Idk maybe it would if its a week off.

AT&T cell phones will tell you that by calling *DATA#

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to JT01

Premium Member

to JT01
Click for full size
said by JT01:

I am an ATT DSL customer in Michigan. After seeing numerous posts about the inaccuracy of ATT's metering method, I decided to run my own experiment. I turned off my modem at 11:30 PM on October 19, 2012 and turned it back on at 12:30 AM on October 21, so the modem was completely off for the entire day of October 20. Despite the impossibility of usage during this period, ATT says I used 340 meg down and 30 meg up for October 20. Maybe the metering is in another time zone, but draw your own conclusions.

You're kidding, right?

There are days I'm on the computer all day just doing general stuff and don't use that much bandwidth!! Here's my usage from last 4 days when router was last rebooted.

Twaddle
@sbcglobal.net

Twaddle to tkdslr

Anon

to tkdslr
The FTC isn't going to do squat. They'll ignore complaints and/or bury them in red tape and they will never see the light of day. ATT has the best protection from the law that money can buy. They've proven it time and time again.