uniqs
jacour
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Matthews, NC

jacour

Premium Member

[IE] Troubleshooting IE9 pages don't load

I have a few, very few, sites that just won't load in IE9. One example is this one:

»outlet.lenovo.com/

If I go to the shop for "laptop & ultrabook" link and select any model from the check list filters on the left panel, I get precisely nothing in the right panel. In FF, it works the way i would expect it to work (and before the browser Nazis suggest it I am not goint to switch to FF or Chrome, I would like to get IE working properly).

I keep this box fully updated with all the goodies from Windows update and the latest Flash, but I still get this behavior on a few sites. It is not related to Do Not Track, Ad blocking, Pop-up blocking or antivirus issues as I have disabled those and retested.

Can somebody point me to the component that is the likely culprit so that I can try to repair this?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Well, on my system, the page does work as designed. I'm running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. I tested it in IE9 64 bit.

As far as how I have IE9 setup, its mostly standard. I know I have every single Toolbar and Extension disabled (except for flash). I have also removed the Accelerators. I have also modified the History settings to not save anything when the browser closes. But, I know the "Security" and "Privacy" tabs were not modified in any way. I am running those tabs with the "default" settings.

If I disable Flash, then close and re-open the browser, things still work. So, I don't think its a flash issue.

As far as updates go, my machine is current with all patches up to and including any that were released yesterday.

--Brian

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

Loads here just fine as well, I'm on Lenovo sites quite often. Just tried it on Win 7 32 bit from a Lenovo.
Expand your moderator at work
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 edit

19579823 (banned) to jacour

to jacour

Well it doesnt work IF SCRIPTING IS DISABLED thats for sure!!

When i enabled scripts it said SCRIPT ERROR in the bottom of my browser when i loaded that page....... (Nothing on the right) They seem to have issues that appear to affect multiple IE versions......
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by 19579823:

Well it doesnt work IF SCRIPTING IS DISABLED thats for sure!!

When i enabled scripts it said SCRIPT ERROR in the bottom of my browser when i loaded that page....... (Nothing on ther right) They seem to have issues that appear to affect multiple IE versions......

A site that doesn't work in IE4 or whatever the hell you use? Inconceivable!

It was already posted that the site works in IE9.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Oh come on now and cut 19579823 See Profile some slack.

He does not use IE4. He runs IE 5.5!

--Brian
jacour
Premium Member
Matthews, NC

jacour

Premium Member

Re: [IE] Troubleshooting IE9 pages don't load

I think something might be borked with my IE install. Is there a way to force a repair / reinstall of just IE9 without doing through the whole Windows recovery console thing?

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by jacour:

I think something might be borked with my IE install. Is there a way to force a repair / reinstall of just IE9 without doing through the whole Windows recovery console thing?

I've never used it, but if you go into Internet Options, and then the Advanced Tab, there is a button called "Reset" (see 1st picture).

According to the description, it should reset IE settings back to their default condition. You could give that a try and see what happens.

As far as a re-install of IE, if you go into the control panel, and then select programs, then "View Installed Updates", Windows Internet Explorer 9 should be listed in there (see 2nd picture). You should be able to uninstall it at that point, and put you back to IE8.

I've also never done this, but that is how I think it should work!

Once you remove IE9, I would recommend downloading and installing the offline version from Microsoft, which can be found at the link below (unless you already have it saved locally)

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· anguages

--Brian
jacour
Premium Member
Matthews, NC

jacour

Premium Member

Yeah, I have already done the reset.

I am about to try the roll-back to IE8 even though I have never used it on this box. It is a recent purchase and I have only used IE9 (which behaved itself for five months).

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

If you do the roll-back to IE8, you could try the site in IE8 and see if it works.

Then, re-install IE9 and see how that works out.

--Brian
jacour
Premium Member
Matthews, NC

jacour

Premium Member

Well it all turn out kind of messy. I rolled back to IE8 (it didn't work there either) but then I was stuck because IE9 would not reinstall, either from Win Update or a manual download. I finally got it reinstalled, but it was a pain!

In the meantime, I got my wife a new Lenovo computer ordered via FF and I will try it with that because it is a pristine new machine right from the factory.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

It sounds like there may be more going on with your system then. As I said, I've never done that step to remove IE9 once I install it, but I would think it would just be a simple process like any other program.

In the end, did that fix your problem with IE 9? You mentioned that you used Firefox to order your wife's new computer from Lenovo, so I'm thinking you still have the problem.

--Brian