Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Exton, PA

4 edits

2 recommendations

recoil

Premium Member

Old people & trolls

I don't understand why there are so many negative comments here. The reason we don't use the extra bandwidth is because it is not available across our entire infrastructure.

Videos don't stream in uncompressed 1080P (OR HIGHER), music is not downloaded & streamed at lossless or near lossless quality, images are compressed, files are zipped & compressed, large updates for drivers and updates are compressed, and if the download is large enough it actually takes quite a while to decompress.

As someone mentioned above, you can back up your entire hard drive or access your files remotely without everything taking FOREVER. Now, my hard drive would take several days to back up online with my current connection, whereas I used to have to wait all night to download an update to a game on 56K.

I play games in the 10GB range now, and one of the reasons they are not more widely distributed digitally is because a lot of people don't want to spend the time to download a file that large on DSL or 10MB cable line.

Think of your mobile phone connection, you have a 2GB cap so it limits your ability to use it.

Here you have people paying $70 a month for gb symmetrical for the same price many people pay for 25mbps down. Hell, let's charge you that and put you back on DSL if you are happy with it.

Bring on high quality internet, uncompressed 1080P is 6MB per FRAME.

We have compressed voice, compressed video chat, compressed freaking everything.

Why bash the guy for testing his new connection on a legal torrent? What other large files do you suggest he uses?

Do we need 1GBPS now? Hell no, only businesses do.

Should we be upgrading our infrastructure to support future technology? Hell YES!

You old sad sorry sons of b*s grow up, stop stifling technological growth... Grumpy old men...

What the hell are you trolls doing on a website about broadband growth and technology if you are too air headed or unintelligent to remember that people were using 1.44mb floppy disks 15 years ago that couldn't fit an entire power point presentation on it, and you could barely download images, BUT YOU COULD SURE READ TEXT LIKE A NEWS PAPER QUITE SNAPPY on 14.4KBPS MODEMS! Now you have USB sticks that fit in your pocket that hold 64GB or more.

Go buy a newspaper, get off the internet troll.

BF69, you are truly disappointing, you of all people should know the current state of our broadband infrastructure since you have been here since 2004. I guess you like megacorporations like the monopolized internet and tv market, recording industry, motion picture industry, screwing us royally on prices because customers like you don't ask for anything better and shell out maximum prices every single month to get what is just good enough for the masses, while they reap massive profits and pillage government funds out of our pockets that are supposed to be used to build out networks, and the networks never come, and they never get better.

We are starting to see the light with LTE finally, but for god sakes stop with telling people it's overkill, it's not. Why isn't LTE being built out faster? No landlines to support the bandwidth wirelessly.

/endrant
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by recoil:

I don't understand why there are so many negative comments here.

Before you post gets modded I will say it's not negative posting. The only thing I'm really negative about is the loser that say he will never leave his house because his internet is so fast. Really? I'm just putting things into perspective. And honestly wouldn't a faster connection allow you MORE time to leave the house since it would take you LESS time to do things on the internet? It's like old people that drive slow. Aren't they the one with less time left? You'd think they'd want to do something else with it besides being in a car.

recoil
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Exton, PA

recoil

Premium Member

Good point, faster speeds allow you to consume more, however.

Personally, I am on the internet at least 10 hours a day, but faster speeds wouldn't keep me on the internet for longer than that, although they are welcomed.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to recoil

to recoil
said by recoil:

Do we need 1GBPS now? Hell no, only businesses do.

Most businesses do not need it either since most of their high-bandwidth high-reliability servers are still going to be hosted in a datacenter if their website and other internet-facing facilities are mission-critical.

The main appeal of Google Fiber for online start-ups is it allows them to try their ideas without paying for all the hosting until their project gets to a point where formal hosting becomes necessary to meet reliability and/or bandwidth requirements.

Many companies use the internet as little more than a very convenient commodity, VoIP, eMail, receiving/sending orders and payments, etc. most of which could be done over dial-up or DSL/cable.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to recoil

Premium Member

to recoil
Amen, you nailed it sir. How nice it would be to do cloud backups in hours instead of days, uncompressed 1080P. Wonderful.

And calling the guy a loser because he jokes about not leaving the house, really BF69? Just relax...
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Before you post gets modded ...

Why would his post get modded? if anything you are the one that should be worried for blatant trolling and/or shilling.

cjones
@teksavvy.com

cjones to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

The only thing I'm really negative about is the loser that say he will never leave his house because his internet is so fast.

A sense of humour is a wonderful thing. I wish more people had it.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to Kamus

Premium Member

to Kamus
said by Kamus:

said by 88615298:

Before you post gets modded ...

Why would his post get modded? if anything you are the one that should be worried for blatant trolling and/or shilling.

Modding here doesn't work that way.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to recoil

to recoil
You get it....... People will find a use for the bandwidth very quickly. I don't think the youngsters on this board realize MP3's are a quality down grade from CD's???? Divx???? Downgrade. All media files are compressed making them lower quality. Cloud services???? They aren't very useful because of bandwidth limitations. On and on...
Expand your moderator at work
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: Old people & trolls

said by 88615298:

The only thing I'm really negative about is the loser that say he will never leave his house because his internet is so fast. Really?

Real mature of you. Get a sense of humor.