uniqs

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

[iPad] whats it worth

My friend wants to sell his 1st gen iPad, 64gb wifi+3g, with an apple dock & a leather case/stand and the charger+cable.

I was looking around at some prices, is $300 a fair price to ask given the capacity & 3G capability? The screen is in perfect condition no scratches and the back has a few scuffs but nothing deep.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I'd say look at amazon, and use that as a gauge. Also does he have the original packaging?

And how fast does he want it to sell?

This link has a bunch of used ones for the mid $200 range.
»www.amazon.com/gp/offer- ··· ion=used

So 300 dollars isn't that bad, if it's in near new condition.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Ok, thanks. We'll list it at 300 and he said he'd go down to 275-250 if need be... just wants to get the new mini...

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to HiVolt

MVM

to HiVolt
You can also go to Amazon Electronics Trade-In and input the model / specs:

»www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF ··· sdcgvf_e

They will give you an estimated price depending on condition and if you click on the model with the estimated price they also give you the price they will sell the item for.

That was how I sold my old first gen iPad 16GB WiFi only model when the 3rd gen iPad came out. I don't recall how much I sold it for but it was over ~$200.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to HiVolt

to HiVolt
$142 on Gazelle »www.gazelle.com/ipad/ipa ··· 366-gpid
I'd say $200 because of the accessories, the 3G in this case is more of a hindrance because it's locked to at&t ...

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by not quite right:

I'd say $200 because of the accessories, the 3G in this case is more of a hindrance because it's locked to at&t ...

Well no, he'd be selling it locally here in Toronto Canada, where there are many providers with compatible 3G. And the iPads were never locked, even in the US.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to not quite right

MVM,

to not quite right
Gazelle has never been a good indication of market price - they prey on lazy people that don't want to list on eBay or go through a private sale. Plus, it's a corporation that must make a profit. Take the Gazelle number and incorporate their 40-50+% markup to get market price ($236-284), which is exactly what they've been selling for over the past few days on eBay.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by not quite right:

Well no, he'd be selling it locally here in Toronto Canada, where there are many providers with compatible 3G. And the iPads were never locked, even in the US.

Ok I'll give ya the Canadian card, but try using a US iPad 1 on Sprint or Verizon here...
I'm fully aware of Gazelles purpose in life and their lowball tactics, I'm also aware that electronics are not an investment and have a very low resale value. The $200 was what I would pay for something like that, and that's what I would try and sell it for. Now saying that I more than likely would set my price at $300, and take any thing above $200 that I could get.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Gazelle has never been a good indication of market price - they prey on lazy people that don't want to list on eBay or go through a private sale. Plus, it's a corporation that must make a profit. Take the Gazelle number and incorporate their 40-50+% markup to get market price ($236-284), which is exactly what they've been selling for over the past few days on eBay.

While I generally agree you can get a better deal off of eBay or other direct sales, it is worth noting that with Gazelle they give you a price with absolutely no effort on your part and they pay for the shipping.

I sold one of my original iPhones on eBay and the buyer "had trouble activating it" which was total BS - but it took me well over a month to resolve the issue with PayPal and for that entire time they wouldn't release my money (keep in mind this was still while I was in med school with no real income to speak of) and at the end of it all eBay and PayPal still took their cut. When it's all said and done the peace of mind is sometimes worth that small price difference.