Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to nunya

Re: Motion sensor lights. Do they all suck?

Maybe you wired them wrong.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
He said Heath Zenith, not Apple.

We've had good luck with the Heath Zenith stuff. At our prior house it was still going strong after 5 years. We have one in our present house that is going on 11 years and was here before we got here.

I'd get another one, which we probably will soon since we're remodeling and want something newer and nicer. The problem we have is that they don't come in more designs than they do.
--
Awesome. More handouts, food stamps, welfare and entitlements to come. I'm so proud.
Expand your moderator at work

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus
reply to Spensergig

Re: Motion sensor lights. Do they all suck?

said by Spensergig:

A bit off-topic, but...
I have the same timer, I think, set to operate 4 CFLs for nighttime lighting. (Total is about 50 watts.)
On at dusk, off at 11:00 pm, on at 5:00 am, off at dawn.
I installed the timer 11/29/2008, and just replaced the battery yesterday.
Had a hard time finding the replacement battery I had on hand - The original was dated for 2006 when I bought the timer, so I called Intermatic back then and bitched until they sent me a fresh one. I wonder what the shelf life of the replacement is.

Mine uses an AAA battery. Just checked the manual and it said it lasts 1.5 years.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

rosco35
Premium
join:2003-11-10
USA
kudos:1
reply to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Then there is this thing at costco
[att=1]

But I don't want that installed over my garage door. It looks like Roberto from Futurama
[att=2]

haha looks just like him!

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

The problem we have is that they don't come in more designs than they do.

Heath Zenith has wireless motion sensors that can be used with a matching wireless receiver switch to control any incandescent lamp you want.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Yeah, I've seen those. They don't look quite as nice as I like. They seem to add bulk.
--
Awesome. More handouts, food stamps, welfare and entitlements to come. I'm so proud.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
Thanks. Looks a little hit or miss in terms of quality.

Still, I like the brand. The law firm I used to work for represented the company in a lawsuit against a patent infringer. We won and so the firm members got to take home free lights that were used during the trial. Since then I've generally been a fan.
--

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to Bob4
If you want your motion sensor light controls to function a long time do not point them into direct sunlight. Direct sunlight will fry the infrared sensor and photocell. This also holds true for stand alone photocells. I learned that fact from personal experience. Most commercial outdoor lighting installers point photocells north where possible. If you need to point a motion sensor east or west mount them as high as possible then point the sensor down toward the area to be covered. I you can, place some kind of a sun shield above the sensor. When you select a sensor look at the specification on the plastic housing. If it says incandescent only it cannot be used with florescent lights. Look for a sensor that has a florescent or tungsten rating. They use a relay to control the associated light.