Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 edits

Anonymous_ to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX

Re: Sandy ... mom GAVE AWAY her damaged car :/ help analyze!

said by inGearX:

NOW due to the demand for cars ... an average price for a used car will go up...

I'm like WHY ?

can you please shed some light on this ...

I am angry and bitter about this...

how much would it be to fix the car to running condition ?

what am I failing to see?

thank you very much...

would have paid you $150 just for the side skirts on that car.

talking about getting ripped off you could have parted the car your self. and made 2k-4k or so.

rims just by them self will break the buyer even. he will get about $75 too $120 each(with tire)

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by Anonymous_:

talking about getting ripped off you could have parted the car your self. and made 2k-4k or so.

rims just by them self will break the buyer even. he will get about $75 too $120 each(with tire)

Don't forget all the glass is reusable. $50 windows, $150 windshield, $300+ rear glass with heater wires.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

2 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by TheTechGuru:

said by Anonymous_:

Don't forget all the glass is reusable. $50 windows, $150 windshield, $300+ rear glass with heater wires.

windshield is worth about $80-$100 used one
Rear glass is worth $700 for a used one since they are $1200 brand new installed. (They have integrated antenna that is why the price is so high)
small rear glass is about $250 each for a used one
other windows are worth about $100 each
each door is about $150

$2,000 just for the glass alone.
$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$350 front bumper(since it has the fog light option)
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

floor mats could have also been resold as well as long as you hose them off and dry them
OE mats can fech $20-40 for a set

Sadly my car is worth more in parts then it is stand alone

You bet I am going to part my car out once it dies.

Could have bought another used impala for that . I got a 03 3.8 LS with the same options(no onstar) as yours for only $3,800. 130800 miles at the time

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

cdru

MVM

said by Anonymous_:

Rear glass is worth $700 for a used one since they are $1200 brand new installed. (They have integrated antenna that is why the price is so high)
each door is about $150

$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

And all those things presume he or she has the time, skill, and/or space to part the vehicle out. NYC (or whatever jurisdiction the car is located in) is going to have codes prohibiting derelict and abandoned vehicles. Parting out any significant body panel, window, bumper, or wheel is going to make it illegal to drive and/or park on city streets. And I don't see an abundance of garages in those photos.

Unless you can part out an entire vehicle in a matter of hours or pay someone to take the parted out carcass away (since they aren't going to take it for free with the useful parts gone), you don't have a whole lot of options. Plus with thousands of vehicles in the region flooded plus whatever stock was already on the used parts market, there isn't premium price for a decade old very common car.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by cdru:

said by Anonymous_:

each door is about $150

$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

And all those things presume he or she has the time, skill, and/or space to part the vehicle out. NYC (or whatever jurisdiction the car is located in) is going to have codes prohibiting derelict and abandoned vehicles. Parting out any significant body panel, window, bumper, or wheel is going to make it illegal to drive and/or park on city streets. And I don't see an abundance of garages in those photos.

Unless you can part out an entire vehicle in a matter of hours or pay someone to take the parted out carcass away (since they aren't going to take it for free with the useful parts gone), you don't have a whole lot of options. Plus with thousands of vehicles in the region flooded plus whatever stock was already on the used parts market, there isn't premium price for a decade old very common car.

+1

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to cdru

to cdru
Ya, NYC is not the place for "do it yourselfers" unless you're wealthy enough to have the privacy of your own private 2 car garage in it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Anonymous_:

each door is about $150

$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

People like me prefer OE parts. Not from a totaled cars. (cars in accidents)

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Well, it wasn't in an accident at all. It was a flood vehicle. Depending on what you need, and your budget, it may fit your requirements for parts.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

DAMN - you guys are getting torn a new one. I can get a rear glass for my Taurus (which also has a defroster and antenna) for $350 from the Ford dealer. That's OEM Carlite glass too.

Heck, I just went to Safelite and they will put one in a 2001 Impala for $385 and that's for the one with the Onstar antenna. A used one isn't worth anywhere near that.

Rambo76098
join:2003-02-21
Columbus, OH

Rambo76098 to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

$600 for doors
$120 for the trunk
$100 for the hood
$70(ea) Finder
$125 for the rear bumper

$3,400

Maybe it's because they're a dime a dozen here, but used parts for these are way cheaper than you're quoting. Try $60/door. $75/bumper. $30/fender. I've had run-ins with my 2000 grand prix (virtually same car) and the sucker is dirt cheap to fix...
theboz1419
join:2003-02-12
Puyallup, WA

theboz1419 to itguy05

to itguy05
You think thats expensive, I had a 1993 Ford Probe. A thief broke out my rear hatch window, I had about 6 quotes. the cheapest was around 3500, average was about 4500.

There was no way I was going to pay that. Called a few junk yards near by and found a complete hatch in the same color for 250.