spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Worksathome

@shawcable.net

[AB] Netflix pixelated and freezing on 50BB

I'm in SW Calgary off Richmond road and I keep getting shotty service. I work from home and use internet for mostly web browsing and sometimes uploading pdfs. I use netflix instead of cable tv and switched from 20 to 50 bb because it kept taking forever to load and froze a lot. i upgraded mid October and seems that it was ok getting about 20-30 mbps but now its awful. Everything is pixelated and freezing. I am very frustrated. This isnt what i paid $75 a month for when i was paying $39 a month for high speed 20. I'm trying to watch netflix right now and it stops every 2 minutes.

I am the only one using the internet. On 1 device and im not downliading or streaming anything in the background. I'm in a small 1 floof upoer unit and not very far from the wireless modem.

Why during the day is it so bad? Sometimes at night its slow too but it seems its gotten worse the past few weeks.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

What device do you have? The Cisco or SMC? If so, most will suggest you call in to get the device put into bridge mode, and go and buy your own wireless router. The SMC and Cisco's aren't the greatest all-in-one units, to say the least. The wireless and overall options on them are severly lacking.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
reply to Worksathome

Considering you're using wireless, there is the possibility that you're experiencing wireless interference / wireless collisions.

Have you tried plugging in the ethernet cable direct when things seem slow (can you plug it in?)… because this would be an obvious way of determining if it's a wireless issue or a Shaw signal/equipment issue.

Are you using Shaw's modem/router combo or are you using your own router?

Rusty: there's nothing wrong with the Shaw provided units for a basic set up like this person has, I'm pretty sure they'd do fine. Now if you want QOS priority services, print server, monitoring, etc, etc, then for sure…. I'm with you there.
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Worksathome

I have yet to see the all-in-one units do above poor, except in my old 800SQFT condo. Anything with two levels, the wireless is extremely weak. Have put the units into bridge/swapped for an old SB5102 and put in a descent dlink router that does well above the provided hardware. The SMC/Cisco are great, but only as a modem.

Anyways, like he said, plug in and try that. Run a few tests while plugged in, like tracerts, speed tests, etc. If you are getting bad line speeds, that could be a majority of the problem. The wireless could be another definite factor.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to Worksathome

Yep, video and wireless are not a good idea. Wireless is not a good medium to transmit content that requires reliable connections. (IMO). WIFI is better for data.

I use powerline networking (AV500), or MoCA bridges for sending video around my home, since my home wasn't wired for CAT5 and I don't want to poke holes in walls.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Worksathome

Or you can go overkill and place AP's everywhere! Only got 3 running now, but I managed to get full coverage for the entire 2000sqft house, as well as 150ft around the outside.

blank

@allstream.net

I put 2 wireless N routers in my place and close to any media box. I am able to stream 1080p mkv files ONLY this way. It took a lot of work but 2+ solid routers in good locations are key for wireless streaming in ANY house.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

I gave up streaming 1080 wirelessly completely- without heavy compression.

Wired ethernet is easier, faster, and more reliable than wireless any letter.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Worksathome

I wish I could go wired, but just isn't possible in certain rooms. A good AP ~400+ will get you the full HD quality. I bucked and purchased a nice Cisco aironet 1100 series. Ended up costing a lot more than a standard AP, but I have amazing wireless, and the signal is beyond wicked. A good 500FT shot around the house and good strength at long distances to.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Worksathome

In my apartment there are so many wireless signals coming from other people's apartment's its pretty crazy. I can barely stream a 720p file from the living room to the spare room (it'll stutter and stop at least a few times while playing it).

I've tried all sorts of channels but there's too much interference. I've considered upgrading to a 5ghz router to see if that spectrum is more clear. I do use an ethernet cable to my media box though, there's no way I could stream 1080p in here.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Worksathome

The 5hz won't help useless your devices can benefit from the 5hz spectrum. I've had nothing but issues with it, so stuck with 2.4 and use various channels.

knoot

@shawcable.net
reply to Worksathome

No. It's shaw. I BB50 in st.albert and have called netflix and shaw several times in the last week. I have read online that ISPs throttle netflix and I believe 100% that shaw is doing this as well.

I have my router in bridged mode. I have tried 3 different cables from my router, nothing. 3 different cables directly from the modem to my computer and 360, nothing. I get the lowest quality on my computer and 360 being hard wired (I selected highest quality on netflix).

I've been in my house about 2 months, and netflix is my main source of entertainment, i have maybe had HD for 1% of my viewing. Netflix blames shaw (which i believe) and shaw blames netflix. This is the last month i'm having shaw. The last place i was at (renting) had telus, i averaged about 16 mbit/s on a speedtest and had no problem getting hd 85% of the time on netflix. Pretty much proves to me that shaw is throttling netflix. What a joke, and all the service people i talked to were muppets, I could tell all they were doing were reading off of sheets. After they got through them all they said was they could not help me and pretty much hung up, wow bravo, great customer support.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

I have no doubt that some ISPs throttle Netflix, but with Shaw, in their Terms of Service, only upstream transfers are throttled, and only in in the very busy areas.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

ravenchilde

reply to knoot

said by knoot :

No. It's shaw. I BB50 in st.albert and have called netflix and shaw several times in the last week. I have read online that ISPs throttle netflix and I believe 100% that shaw is doing this as well.

I 100% believe that Shaw is NOT doing this.

Baud1200

join:2003-02-10
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

In my apartment there are so many wireless signals coming from other people's apartment's its pretty crazy. I can barely stream a 720p file from the living room to the spare room (it'll stutter and stop at least a few times while playing it).

I've tried all sorts of channels but there's too much interference. I've considered upgrading to a 5ghz router to see if that spectrum is more clear. I do use an ethernet cable to my media box though, there's no way I could stream 1080p in here.

Would try something like this if the wiring done in your apartment isn't a mess:
»www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX34726
Expand your moderator at work

ravenchilde

reply to Baud1200

Re: [AB] Netflix pixelated and freezing on 50BB

said by Baud1200:

Would try something like this if the wiring done in your apartment isn't a mess:
»www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX34726

I use powerline for all my video streaming. Works well, but I have a newer house. YMMV.
Expand your moderator at work