nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to mettachain

Premium Member

to mettachain

Re: What UI is this?

It's "cluttered" because it offers a lot of features by default.

Turn off the ones you don't want/need and it's an excellent unit frame that offers features like focus cast bars, spec analysis, reverse bars, buffs/debuffs on target of target & focus etc.

It's largely considered the best unit frame out there - but yes, it requires setup.

If you want "pretty" just use your ElvUI... lol...

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

every unit frame addon i've encountered offers everything you listed without the large memory footprint Xperl requires.

It is NOT largely considered the best unitframe out there. The player base that thinks addons look and feel the way they want right out of the "box" are small in number. Xperl does give those players who don't like to do anything to customize their addons that easy option i suppose.

It makes me giddy to see posts of how proud some people are with their UI after they've "customized" it and I see Xperl with no setup, a big red Recount window and the parchment background on Omen. Must be Apple users....since they don't believe in being able to tweak and customize things they use everyday.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Snuffbox:

It's largely considered the best unit frame out there

said by mettachain:

It is NOT largely considered the best unitframe out there

No way to win this argument outright. But I was curious so I did some looking into it.

based on Curse.com:

• X-Perl Unit frames gets 435,947 Monthly downloads
• Shadowed Unit Frames gets 54,524 Monthly downloads.

before anyone declares a "win" here are some other stats
• HealBOT Continued gets 424,171 Monthly downloads
• Grid gets 280,589 Monthly downloads (lol, imagine if they counted all of the extras that you have to download for it be useful)
• VuhDO gets 165,059 Monthly downloads
• Pitbull gets a mere 22,090 Monthly downloads.

So we see where the popularity statistics rate. Now, who's got a way of comparing performance or which one is used by the better player/raid?

NOTE: in the interest of full disclosure, my first Raid Frame addon was X-Perl (BC) and when WotLK broke it horribly, I switched to SUF. I tried Healbot for a long time, Vuhdo for a couple of weeks, Grid for a month... and I was so very grateful to blizzard for finally improving their raid frames.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

i am glad that you put in a disclaimer, we all know that just because its dl doesnt mean it is still in use i dl xperl for about 2 days then switched back to suf.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

So, I just scoured the interwebs for a difinitive assessment of the "best" raid frame. Guess what? doesn't exist.

X-Perl is still a favorite... the most common complaints are the high memory use and "too much eye candy stuff". It's biggest pro is... it's been around forever and people who love xperl just love it.

PitBull is also a favorite. It was built to be more memory efficient and is highly customizable. lots of reference to AgUI.

SUF is considered the simplest to use, clean, and the lightest. Basically if you are looking for clean and fuss-free, go with SUF.

ElvUI is a different animal. Complete UI replacement. Either you like the whole package or you don't. If you find yourself "turning off" a majority of the features in ElvUI... you probably could have gotten by with a smaller addon.

Grid is cool-looking, fine for non-healers right out of the box. Customize "look and feel" to your heart's content. In my personal opinion... the worst way to go for being an informed healer especially when compared to the wealth of information provided by the stock raid frame.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to mettachain

Premium Member

to mettachain
said by Snuffbox:

It's largely considered the best unit frame out there

said by mettachain:

It is NOT largely considered the best unitframe out there

Largely = Majority. Sorry to burst your bubble, it is in fact one of the best if not the best.

• X-Perl Unit frames gets 435,947 Monthly downloads
• Shadowed Unit Frames gets 54,524 Monthly downloads.

As Curse confirms ^ (credit Immer).

• HealBOT Continued gets 424,171 Monthly downloads
• Grid gets 280,589 Monthly downloads
• VuhDO gets 165,059 Monthly downloads

Healbot, Grid and Vuhdo - while none of them compete. They are not meant to be stand alone unit frames. People use them in addition to their frames (whether they be Blizzard, or Xperl/Suf/Shadowed). So I personally don't believe they are comparable, again not that it matters they're still below Xperl.

Metta, consider your cookie withdrawn.
Snuffbox

Snuffbox to mettachain

Premium Member

to mettachain
said by mettachain:

Xperl does give those players who don't like to do anything to customize their addons that easy option i suppose.

Let me guess, you think Xperl's memory usage is big just for the sake of being big and couldn't possibly be related to the features it offers? Protip, turn off what you don't want Mr "Apple users don't believe in customizing" You're the one that failed to use the addon to it's potential and opted for a more simple addon. Hypocrite much?
said by mettachain:

Must be Apple users....since they don't believe in being able to tweak and customize things they use everyday.

Why are Droid users so butthurt that iPhone users are happy? Your jealousy's showing... Maybe for Christmas, then you can stop raging.

mettachain
Goblineer
Azeroth

mettachain

First off, I'd like to know Curse's definition of "monthly." Those numbers have been relatively the same for God knows how long. If it was "monthly" everyone would be using Xperl, which I can assure you, not everyone does.

Second, Apple in their infinite wisdom sees fit to sue everything in sight at the slightest hint of something looking vaguely like anything with an Apple stamp on it. Only time will tell when Apple decides to sue and actual apple for infringing on their logo. Bunch of retards.

Third, you cannot offer me a cookie and then hours later rescind that offer. I have already consumed the cookie and the taste of your tears was delicious. Slightly salty, but delicious nonetheless.

Lastly, I'd just like to say that I'm happy that you're pro-choice, venti mocha latte, knitted scarf self is satisfied with the obese, velveeta loving, whale of a unitframe addon Xperl. You lose! Good day Sir!

/me kicks Snuffbox out of his factory.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

This is Single Minded Fury PvP GET SHIT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to mettachain

Premium Member

to mettachain
said by mettachain:

Second, Apple in their infinite wisdom sees fit to sue everything in sight at the slightest hint of something looking vaguely like anything with an Apple stamp on it. Only time will tell when Apple decides to sue and actual apple for infringing on their logo. Bunch of retards.

Lets look back.

Apple - Touch Screen
Everyone Else - Touch Screen.

Apple - "We're going to make a Tablet"
Everyone Else - "The market is saturated, a tablet will never be successful"
Everyone Else - Making Tablets

Apple - App Store
Everyone Else - App Store

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Apple is only worth as much as their products, Apple would be foolish not to protect them.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 recommendation

Immer to mettachain

Premium Member

to mettachain
the monthly numbers are probably held steady by people updating their X-Perl install. There are a lot more than 450k players.

lol @ using the numbers I provided to declare a semantic victory.

/facepalm at this becoming a Droid versus Apple debate.

Rhenai
join:2010-09-07
Pensacola, FL

Rhenai to McBrain

to McBrain
I have to say, having been on the receiving end of both Snuff and Metta's sarcasm and derision, my money is on

Snuff for the win.

(sitting back, eating popcorn and drinking a beer and digging it)

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

lol @ using the numbers I provided to declare a semantic victory.

I do expect a crown.
Snuffbox

Snuffbox to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Holy #$(*&# this place is boring when I'm not here.

Feel free to hate me for that comment.

mettachain
Goblineer
Azeroth

mettachain to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
Early Concept
E.A. Johnson, a British inventor, first described his ideas for a capacitive touchscreen in an article in 1965. In 1967, he published another paper on the topic, this time explaining how the technology worked through diagrams and photographs of a prototype. Johnson worked at the Royal Radar Establishment in Malvern, England, and was interested in developing touchscreen for air traffic control. In 1968, he published a study describing the potential of the technology in air traffic control.

PLATO Project
Around 1972, touch-screen technology emerged again as part of the PLATO project, which was concerned with computer-assisted learning. The project started at the University of Illinois, providing both high school and university students with coursework materials. Donald Bitzer is the inventor behind the PLATO project and its use of the gas plasma display screen in the terminal monitors. Bitzer is an electrical engineer who is probably more widely known for the development of gas plasma screens used in televisions.

Sam Hurst
In the 1970s, Sam Hurst, a physicist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory was also working on a touch-screen technology idea. His invention was inspired by a need to find a faster method of inputting spectometry readings to a computer rather than waiting for students to do it by hand. His device consisted of two pieces of conductive paper separated by a layer of insulation. He founded Elographics, which became Elo TouchSystems, to market his concept. The original needle-and-paper technology was replaced with finger and screen. Hurst's invention is still in production and is used in the Nintendo DS game consoles.

Andrew Hsu
The launch of Apple's iPhone created a surge in hand-held touch-screen device use. In 2010, Andrew Hsu won an Outstanding Contribution award at the Mobile Entertainment Awards for inventing the touch-screen technology for cellphones. He filed his patent for a capacitive touchscreen in 1999, but it took seven years to convince the phone industry to adopt it. LG ran a trial of the touchscreen on its Prada phone in 2006, ahead of the iPhone. Hsu works for Synaptics in California, a major supplier of touchscreens to cellphone manufacturers.

Early Pen Computers
A company called Pencept is often credited with creating the first pen computer. In 1985, Pencept partnered with CIC to create a line of PCs that used handwriting recognition technology.

Windows Pen Computing
Microsoft attempted fusing pen computing with the PC Windows Operating System in the early 1990s, but the "Pen Services" application had limited feature and sold few copies.

Tablet PC Branding
In 2002, Bill Gates and the Microsoft Corporation effectively invented contemporary tablets when a digital pen interface was finally well-integrated into the Windows Operating System, and the term "tablet PC" was coined.

Portable Tablet PCs
Though the first models were desktop-based, tablet PCs became portable almost immediately after Microsoft coined the term in 2002. Early portable tablets were bulky and had limited battery life, but smaller tablets were soon produced.

Integrated Tablet PCs
Full tablet PCs are now integrated into portable devices such as cell phones, offering touch-screen computing, word processing, web browsing and more, completely integrated into a pocket-sized device.

Please go on how Apple created the first ever anything. Looks to me like it was IBM and Microsoft that created your examples. Apple didn't invent anything except their operating system. They take existing tech and dumb it down where there is no customization and sell it with a flashy exterior.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
Another example:

Bill Gates, billionaire. Donates billions to medical research, perfectly healthy.

Steve Jobs, billionaire. Keeps billions, dies of cancer.

Good ol' Apple, leading from the front.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to mettachain

Premium Member

to mettachain
You win Metta - Apples products are succesful because of their shiny logo.

Certainly not because of their ingenuity and functionality, build quality, technology and ease of integration accross multiple platforms.
Snuffbox

Snuffbox to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
said by McBrain:

Another example:

Bill Gates, billionaire. Donates billions to medical research, perfectly healthy.

Steve Jobs, billionaire. Keeps billions, dies of cancer.

Good ol' Apple, leading from the front.

Are you insinuating that Apple hasn't/doesn't donate? That's quite an accusation...

All your above statement reads is:

Bill Gates - Healthy
Steve Jobs - Died of Cancer

To my knowledge no one has made a connection between wealth and cancer and Bill Gate's donations have yet to cure cancer unless you have insider information? Please tell?

mettachain
Goblineer
Azeroth

mettachain to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

You win Metta - Apples products are succesful because of their shiny logo.

Certainly not because of their ingenuity and functionality, build quality, technology and ease of integration accross multiple platforms.

They function only with OTHER APPLE products. Zero integration with anything other than APPLE. You want to talk functionality across multiple platforms, mention Android/Google and Microsoft.

By the way, hope you enjoy trying to find adapters for all your old apple crap to plug into the new 16 pin greatness they have now. WHAT A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! Half the pins on chargers and data transfer cables!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by mettachain:

By the way, hope you enjoy trying to find adapters for all your old apple crap to plug into the new 16 pin greatness they have now. WHAT A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! Half the pins on chargers and data transfer cables!

Sorry Metta, this shows your ignorance on the product. We're on entirely different levels.

You're right, Apple doesn't know wtf they're doing and their success is just luck. Back to work for me. Inb4lock.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to mettachain

Mod

to mettachain
Lightning cables have better future options than the 10 year old iPod cable.

You can use OS X on just about anything else. Believe it or not in 2012, most computers can work with each other.

Cats.