uniqs

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

1 recommendation

KodiacZiller

Premium Member

I'm Rich

According to an Indian dude who just called me, I just won a cool $500,000!! I am so happy. He said all I have to do is send him $500 and I can claim my prize.

Breaking out my checkbook now.

beefy
It's A Dog's Life
join:2001-02-04
Burlington, ON

beefy

said by KodiacZiller:

According to an Indian dude who just called me, I just won a cool $500,000!! I am so happy. He said all I have to do is send him $500 and I can claim my prize.

Breaking out my checkbook now.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to KodiacZiller

MVM

to KodiacZiller
Fabulous. So happy to hear of your windfall. I presume that you will share this 'found money' with all your friends here.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to KodiacZiller

Premium Member

to KodiacZiller
I'll chip in on the $500 if you want to share!!!
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to KodiacZiller

to KodiacZiller

Tell him to send you YOUR MONEY FIRST and then you will send him $1000 and see what he says!!

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to KodiacZiller

Premium Member

to KodiacZiller

Re: I'm Rich

Indian or Nigerian? I love it when I find out I have rich, and royal, unknown relatives

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

KodiacZiller

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

Indian or Nigerian? I love it when I find out I have rich, and royal, unknown relatives

Indian dude from "Publisher's Clearing House." He is Ed McMahon's best friend.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by KodiacZiller:

Indian dude from "Publisher's Clearing House."

I smell a rat I've seen the TV ads where PCH turns up at your house with cameras and one of those giant checks.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to KodiacZiller

Premium Member

to KodiacZiller
Well, yesterday we got a pre-recorded robo-call here informing us that we'd won a Caribbean cruise on a Carnival ship. "Just press 1 to claim your prize. Press 4 to be removed from this calling list." It really made us feel so personally welcomed, though the callers were probably hurt beyond measure when we simply hung up. It also appears "Rachel" is branching out from her credit-card-balance scams...

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to KodiacZiller

Premium Member

to KodiacZiller
This is weird to see this topic at this time.

Not a week ago, I was at a funeral of a friend. After services, they had the customary lunch, and I was sitting at a table with an eighty-something gentleman, obviously well-to-do. He regaled me withdhow he got taken for two hundred dollars by a scammer claiming that he has a $3000+ judgement from a class action suit against the time share company from whom he'd bought a unit.

Naturally, after demanding the two hundred bucks VIA Western Union for "processing", the crook calls back needing more money. At that point old boy told relatives who immediately informed him it was a scam, and he refused further demands.

Not surprisingly, after that one, he started getting calls from other advance fee scammers about winning a lottery, Publishers CLearingHouse etc. He's been pestered by them ever since.

I warned him to look out for further calls from someone claiming to be form the FBI, INTERPOL, United Nations etc. claiming to be able to recover his money. I also advised him to never pay up front or give out any information to unsolicited calls, emails or letters no matter how nice they seemed to be.

I don't know if it sunk in or not. I sure hope so.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

... Not surprisingly, after that one, he started getting calls from other advance fee scammers about winning a lottery, Publishers CLearingHouse etc. He's been pestered by them ever since.

I warned him to look out for further calls from someone claiming to be form the FBI, INTERPOL, United Nations etc. claiming to be able to recover his money. I also advised him to never pay up front or give out any information to unsolicited calls, emails or letters no matter how nice they seemed to be. ...

I think there's at least one, and probably several, nests of off-shore scammers who employ all manner of variations of scams, and who use VOIP-connected autodialers and various do-not-call lists (how better to get authenticated numbers?) or compromised legitimate phone lists to target their victims. In many cases, the incoming caller ID's are blocked; in others, clearly spoofed numbers are used; in almost every case, the calls have now become impossible to trace, other than back to some VOIP portal. It's been giving the FTC fits for several years now, since the calls have become so difficult (if not impossible) to trace, hence there is little or no way to get at the perps. Any pushbutton or verbal response at all from a targeted person, and their phone number seems to go right to the top of the repeat-calling list.

For several years, the calls were one or two robo-call variations on a credit-card-balance-transfer scheme ("Rachel"). But within the last year or so, the calls here began branching out into a variety of scam areas, from pitches for diabetic equipment to free cruises to financial offers, etc. In most cases, the robo-call versions of the scam messages I receive involve pushing a number (usually 1) to connect to an "operator" or "representative" or pushing another number (often 4 or 6) to "be removed from the calling list"... but which, of course, merely confirms your number as a known-good one. In researching the "Rachel" episodes some time ago, victim reports indicated that the operators of the scam have a tactic of "getting even" if a victim protests too loudly about the calls. People who have patched through to a live person via pressing "1" and demanded an end to the calls have been sworn at, ridiculed, hung-up on, and worse... but in almost every case, the number of calls they subsequently received in a given time period went up by factors from 2 to 20. I currently get between 1 and 5 such calls per week. Thus far, no live human has yet called here with a scam - but it's most likely just a matter of time until they do.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Well, yesterday we got a pre-recorded robo-call here informing us that we'd won a Caribbean cruise on a Carnival ship. "Just press 1 to claim your prize. Press 4 to be removed from this calling list." It really made us feel so personally welcomed, though the callers were probably hurt beyond measure when we simply hung up. It also appears "Rachel" is branching out from her credit-card-balance scams...

Caribbean Cruise Line perhaps? They are a frequent topic of discussion in this forum.