share rss forum feed

maubs

join:2010-02-26
Farmington, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to elray

Re: Who is being charged?

I've had to pay overages twice now on my 150GB cap for a 6Mb DSL connection. As cord-cutters, we rely heavily on Netflix, Hulu and even stream from the BBC and ITV.
AT&T doesn't offer UVerse anywhere near my part of the state, so the cap doesn't even serve to protect their revenue for a TV subscription.
I have a wireless router that supports DD-WRT, so I'm thinking about installing that in order to measure the usage on my own.

en103

join:2011-05-02
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
As the user shows - ~20% extra - I'd expect the same.
AT&T uses ATM for packets on DSL (including Uverse), which adds ~18%.

»www.clock.org/~fair/opinion/atm-is-bad.html
»blog.ioshints.info/2009/03/adsl-···ead.html

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
reply to maubs
Sounds like you haven't disputed the charges.
Not that you should have to.
Sad to hear that they're actually billing now.

Is there a reason you're with AT&T and not one of their resellers?

Have you priced a business connection?

steelyken

join:2002-03-04
Plainfield, IN
reply to maubs
See if you can get dslextreme. First letter I got from AT&T started me looking for alternatives and that is where I switched. Price is lower and no caps.

maubs

join:2010-02-26
Farmington, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
DSL Extreme is an option, and I have contacted them, but AT&T will only tell the reseller that the line is capable of 3Mb. Also, I'd have to keep the land line I'm only paying for to get better than a 768Kb connection.
Also looked into a business connection - they want to see a yellow pages listing for my business in order to qualify.

steelyken

join:2002-03-04
Plainfield, IN
I had 6 with AT&T and still have 6 with dslextreme, so that is a shame with your connection.

DanielWestt

@mycingular.net
I have been charged all but 2 months this year with my dry dsl 6mb connection. And for dslextreme, when called them to get service you have to have a phone line. Which adds 20 plus dollars to the overall price.

And to the " not a revenue stream", my local cable isp(cableone), charges 50 cents per gig over there 50gig a month cap, 100 gigs with bundle.