uniqs
share rss forum feed

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

[TWC] Bulk Account CableCARD Discount

I have a TWC bulk account through my apartment complex in California. They pay for the standard digital tier and one STB. For the past two years I've been using a CableCARD with my TiVo and the TWC STB sits in my closet. I'm trying to find out if I can use this FCC regulation to return the TWC STB and have the $2.00 (now $2.50) CC fee taken off the account:

said by »www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-kno···r-rights :
Pay only for equipment you have. Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5).
There's also this from the TWC Pricing Guide:
quote:
From time to time we may offer bundled packages that include one or more digital converters within the base package price. If you lease a CableCARD in lieu of such a digital converter, we now offer a prospective monthly credit to reflect the difference between the standard lease rates digital converters and CableCARDs.
I've called TWC a few times but haven't made any progress at all. The reps claim that being that it's a bulk account, none of these rules apply. Even if I return the STB, I'll still pay the $2.50. This makes no sense to me - I'm trying to save them money by not keeping their box, and they don't want it. Do I have any recourse?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:18
The bulk account includes and pays for the STB.

You pay for the CC.

To remove the STB, they would have to break the bulk account setup.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
said by DrDrew:

That's the part that I don't understand - the rep had no problem with me returning the STB. He said there would be no issue removing it. Then TWC would be getting paid for a STB that's no longer in use - why can't they apply that money towards the CC instead (per the FCC rule that requires them to do so).
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
said by Thinkdiff:

said by DrDrew:

That's the part that I don't understand - the rep had no problem with me returning the STB. He said there would be no issue removing it. Then TWC would be getting paid for a STB that's no longer in use - why can't they apply that money towards the CC instead (per the FCC rule that requires them to do so).

The bulk agreement isn't for CableCARDs, it's for STBs. There is no line item a CSR can add that is "bulk CableCARD" to replace the cable box removed. Without a line item on your account that is for a CableCARD, it won't be activated properly.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
said by DrDrew:

The bulk agreement isn't for CableCARDs, it's for STBs. There is no line item a CSR can add that is "bulk CableCARD" to replace the cable box removed. Without a line item on your account that is for a CableCARD, it won't be activated properly.

Why does it matter if there's a line item that says "bulk CableCARD"? The FCC says they need to discount my plan to make up for not using the included STB. Why can't they add a discount equal to the CC fee to comply with the regulation if their system can't handle outright replacing the STB with a CC?
--

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
What are you paying for the STB?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
The STB fee is included with my plan, which is paid through my rent. Nothing is "free".
--