Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TimHaag

join:2012-10-26
Sebastian, FL
reply to koitsu

Re: Latency and Packet Loss Problems - Over 2 months

Thanks alot Koitsu for summarizing. I have actually had the modem replaced once. The second time I asked for my modem to be replaced, it wasn't. The tech whom arrived did not bring one with him. The problem on 11/13 ended roughly around 20:30. I haven't checked the logs since last night, so I don't have any updates on if the problem has manifested again since then.

The "modem reprovision" that ComcastSteve performed was on the replaced modem. It is worth noting that the replaced modem was the identical model as the last one. My old modem worked for 8 months before I had a problem. Considering the circumstances, I do think it is unlikely that both modems are faulty.

I agree with the problems contacting people. I've made a couple phone calls to executive support and haven't received any return calls. I've been told someone would call me back by noon the following day both times. The original person who helped me when techs didn't show up, also hasn't called me back. He said the problem should be fixed by the end of day Saturday, November 3rd. He never gave me return contact information, instead citing he would follow up with me. I spoke with him on November 2nd, the return phone number dials directly into 1-800-COMCAST.

As a shot in the dark last week, I emailed koitsu asking for advice because he's been so successful in at least diagnosing his problem, if not downright assisting in the fix. I personally built my home computer (I've built over 20 systems). I am a software developer by trade. I understand the typical troubleshooting steps to determine the root cause of a problem. I've narrowed down to a single device and run diagnostics during the problem. I've then switched to a different device to see if it still existed. Both devices, as the sole device connected to the gateway via ethernet cable, have been able to document the problem. I believe I have done all the necessary steps to rule out my devices. I have updated all drivers and run multiple AV software scans. I've used the various windows tools to diagnose anything. The techs that have been at my house, have ruled out the lines local to my condo unit. However, as koitsu said, they have never been at my house while the problem was ongoing. I have the cell phone number of one of the techs who came out to my house and called him late Saturday on the 3rd when the problem was occurring. He said he would tell his manager, but there wasn't much else he could do.

I've emailed the we_can_help@cable.comcast.com email requesting help. I haven't received a return email or a phone call. After 8 weeks, I still feel like I haven't even gotten to the person I need to speak with to have the problem fixed. I understand why Comcast shields their network engineers. The vast majority of problems, probably 999 out of 1000, are local to the user. It is very frustrating that every tech I've worked with have ruled out the problem being local to me, yet can't assist me in getting the problem fixed.

kelfa

join:2012-10-27
Fort Myers, FL

I apologize for joining the thread like this, but I must say that these problems are exactly the same as mine. I live in Fort Myers, FL a couple hours away.

Problem has been ongoing 1-2 months now since upgrading to Blast!
1) 2 techs have been out to replace all lines/splitters.
2) My signals are perfect all the time, during the problems as well.
3) Line techs have been called and Im always the line techs are working.
4) Been monitoring ping plotter/tracers like yourself and am getting EXACTLY everything you have described.
5) Comcaststeve also replied to me and "reprovisioned" which seemed to help, but the problem returned quickly
6)Tried a rental, sb6121, and zoom. All three the same problem

Some days are better than others, some days online gaming, skype are just plain unusable.

Seems impossible to get someone on site when the problems are happening the most

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

kelfa See Profile, please do not "append" to the thread. I'm not picking on ya (honest), but it's very important people remember:

Every single issue/ordeal needs to be handled individually/separately, at least initially.

When a thread/issue of a single customer begins to result in "me too" posts, it becomes difficult (bordering impossible) for an ISP or any technician/engineer to get concise details. Literally one engineer could spend 2-3 hours of his time every day just trying to sort out who said what and what means what. The official Comcast forums are *filled* with this sort of thing, which is almost certainly why it seems like nothing there ever gets responded to + fixed.

I would strongly suggest starting a separate thread here on the forum for your issue, and if you want it's cool to say "It's very similar to {this thread here}" but please keep it separate. You will need to post signal levels and do the exact same sort of analysis as what was done here. Don't post "summaries", post actual hard data/evidence.

In TimHaag See Profile's case, at this point it looks like something very close to the CMTS, and I would be surprised if people multiple hours apart were using the same CMTS. If this was a "Comcast backbone" (IP network) problem of some kind, it would be showing up starting at hops further away (i.e. hops #3 or #4), but it happens very close to home. My first inclination is an oversubscribed CMTS, but that is purely speculative and it is impossible for me to get evidence proving that at this time. We need to wait for jlivingood See Profile or other actual engineers to get involved -- and if they do not get involved, there are other options available, but as I told Tim privately, I don't' want to jump the gun.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Fievel

join:2005-11-10

Any update on this situation ?

I am very curious to know the resolution ( yes, I am and have had for over 6 months this same issue -yes..the same exact issue...we could swap usernames and the details would be 100 percent the same...except im in pt charlotte, fl)

and no, that wasnt a "me too" ...just a heads up that comcast has this same problem in another area of florida

dmk08809

join:2001-09-08
Clinton, NJ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vonage
·Comcast

It seems almost systemic and more than just any given geographic service territory -- chronic and/or intermittent troubles are very difficult if not impossible to have addressed or followed up upon. Why? I think its because there's no real "ownership" of such problems. Just keep closing out the tickets & sweep 'em under the rug hoping it'll go away or maybe the customer will bail and go bother some other broadband provider (assuming they even have that as an option).

My own experiences -- nearly identical to what you guys enumerated -- have been posted here on DSLR. ~3 months later the problem still exists and we're on the 11th or 12th dispatch now.

Just know you're not alone and in good company guys... Be persistent and don't give up.

TimHaag

join:2012-10-26
Sebastian, FL

Sorry I didn't update sooner. The problem still exists. I had about a 2 week reprieve during the holidays, but am back to daily packet loss for 4 to 8 hours each day.