majortom1029 to EliteData

to EliteData

Re: [help] What does it take to get some support from this compa

said by EliteData:

said by limegrass69:

said by RemyM:

Email Jim Dolan, this guy did.
»www.stamfordadvocate.com ··· 4610.php

I always laugh at people who claim that they have to do "business" on a residential, best-efforts type of service. If their "business" is so critical, why not actually pay for a commercial grade service? You have to question the type of "work" people like Lisa Alter (the woman quoted in the article) do. She's supposedly an "IT consultant!"

The more likely story is Lisa's kids were getting upset because they could not watch Nickelodeon and she did not know how to deal with it.

i dont operate a business at home but i do work from home through the internet, sounds like the woman in the article does the same thing.
i continued to work using tethered 3G (recently upgraded to 4G) when cable went out, although i was able to continue working, 3G speeds were erratic and slow at times probably do to many others using it as well.
i dont believe paying for business class internet (or SLA internet) at a residence would have helped get the service restored any faster though, especially after Sandy.

If you got an SLA covered line it would have. I am an IT guy at a library. we use sidera for our fiber service and we were up the next day.

Also I talked to power to learn yesterday. cablevisions network can hammered by the storm. Fiber cuts everywhere. Fiber and coax stretched on the poles by trees.

ALSO people have to keep in mind lipa and Verizon own the poles. in most cases cablevision has to wait for both companies to do their work before they can fix anything.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

in your case, the fiber line that traverses on lipa/verizon owned utility poles was most likely not damaged severe enough to cause an extended outage since the library is located off a main throughway road.
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029

Fiber works in rings so there would have to be major major damage for it not to work. They just moved us to the other section of the ring that wasn't damaged.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

that would be nice if CV had that ability to do that for business cable internet customers but thats not quite possible unless you have lightpath.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to majortom1029

to majortom1029
It all depends on where you are and the nature of the issue.
In my case, my Lightpath voice and data circuits were down for 6 days. Even though we never lost power at the office building, there was no power somewhere along the way both ways of the fiber ring. Lightpath is still "waiting for the directives from Management for the processing of refund claims." This, despite the SLA. We had alternative means of doing business, so things worked out, but I wonder what Lightpath has to think about...

OOL came back in about 4 days. They made it quite easy to seek and receive a refund with no questions asked.

It really makes you wonder sometimes!!
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

I suspect any service level agreement with any company will exclude outages due to Force Majeure. They are really for outages under normal circumstances.

For Lightpath

From Lightpath's SLA
said by »optimumlightpath.com/doc ··· /sla.pdf :

No credit allowance will be made for:
a. Interruptions caused by the negligence of Customer or others in the use of Service.
b. Interruptions due to the failure of power, equipment, systems or connections not provided by Lightpath under this Agreement.
c. Interruptions during any period when Customer has released the circuit for maintenance or rearrangement purposes or for the implementation of a Customer order.
d. Interruptions which continue because of Customer’s failure to authorize replacement of any element of the Service.
e. Interruptions due to force majeure events.
f. No trouble found or where the fault of the trouble is undetermined.

said by »optimumlightpath.com/med ··· riff.pdf :

Force Majeure: Lightpath shall not be liable for any failure or delay in performance caused by anything or event beyond its control such as, but not limited to, acts of God, labor disputes, natural disasters or the actions of a third party.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

Coincidentally, my rep just called. She said that they are planning to honor their SLA in some way -- they're just not sure how things will be calculated yet.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Giving the customer at least some credit certainly makes sense for good customer relations.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to limegrass69

Premium Member

to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

Coincidentally, my rep just called. She said that they are planning to honor their SLA in some way -- they're just not sure how things will be calculated yet.

a microwave PTP link would be great.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

said by EliteData:

said by limegrass69:

a microwave PTP link would be great.

They actually had that in my building. A bunch of PTP microwave dishes on office buildings that connected to a central location -- bypassing the phone and cable companies. The company that ran it (Teligent) failed. I'm glad we never signed with them!! The hardware is still up there on the roof.
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to limegrass69

to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

It all depends on where you are and the nature of the issue.
In my case, my Lightpath voice and data circuits were down for 6 days. Even though we never lost power at the office building, there was no power somewhere along the way both ways of the fiber ring. Lightpath is still "waiting for the directives from Management for the processing of refund claims." This, despite the SLA. We had alternative means of doing business, so things worked out, but I wonder what Lightpath has to think about...

OOL came back in about 4 days. They made it quite easy to seek and receive a refund with no questions asked.

It really makes you wonder sometimes!!

Did they even come to your building to atleast check to see if they can give you service back? Sidera didn't need to come to our building for sandy since they were able to do it remotely but for Irene they came the next day and did some tests and physically moved us.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

They didn't come to my building. I honestly don't think they did all that much until the power started coming back. I'm guessing that it was probably next to impossible for them to assess things beyond their core network until they had some power.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by limegrass69:

They didn't come to my building. I honestly don't think they did all that much until the power started coming back. I'm guessing that it was probably next to impossible for them to assess things beyond their core network until they had some power.

that would make sense.
its impossible to determine whether the repaired electronic component will work without applying power to it after it has been repaired, but they could have had a "head start" by fixing what can be fixed in the interim.
majortom1029
Medford, NY

majortom1029

said by EliteData:

said by limegrass69:

that would make sense.
its impossible to determine whether the repaired electronic component will work without applying power to it after it has been repaired, but they could have had a "head start" by fixing what can be fixed in the interim.

I still think 6 days is an awfully LONG time for a direct to the building fiber service. Our service has less of a network on long island then lightpath does and was up and running a lot quicker even though it runs on the same poles.

Sounds like cablevision wasn't prepared at all for the storm or their lightpath network isn't as well designed as they say it is.

Deeres
@optonline.net

Deeres

Anon

If there is a fiber break then yes this should have set a alarm. If 3 trucks have been there i dont know why this wouldnt have been fixed yet. Is the cable to your building damaged? What were the techs looking at on the pole? If it was damaged down road or somewhere else then this could possibly been able to come back online from another ring. Was it lightpath techs that came? Maybe they had no access to somewhere.
You definitely have fiber ?