Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Rift: Storm Legion: player built homes

I played Rift during Beta and for a couple months after launch. I thought it was ok, but it still felt like World of Warcraft with just a little more window dressing.

Now it looks like they "stole" a page from Ultima Online. In UO, they have had player custom homes for a few years now. Before that, it was homes that were built into the game, but players could buy and place one where ever it could fit.

I think I would try this out, but I don't think my PC could handle it.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible

I played Beta also and subbed for one 3 month subscription after that. I never got the whole "WoW clone" bitching and crying thing though. Uh...you kill mobs and level. What? They had swords and magic and stuff? Not flamin you Snake, it just bothered me back then and apparently still does. I thought Rift did a hell of a job with their talent trees and did some excellent improvements over WAR's public quest system.

Anyway, no one has yet to figure out custom player housing. Lots have tried and they all suck. Good luck to Rift if they can pull it off, but that's not going to bring me back to the game.

facepalm
join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

I'm with you guys. Rift had some excellent features. They took the market driven model for MMOs (WoW) and offered different features in an attempt to draw subscriptions. I commend them for the effort. I played for about a year and had a great time, but ultimately I moved on. There just wasn't enough there for me to continue to pay a sub. If it was FTP, I might go back and have a peek...

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing

I thought Rift was F2P now?

I tried it for a bit, thought it was TERRIBLE

Only player housing I am familiar with is from Runes of Magic.

housing in RoM was instanced, and you had a half naked maid at your service

GREAT SUCCESS

facepalm
join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

facepalm

It might be ftp now. Regardless, I'll be spending time in GW2 for awhile. Half naked maid huh?

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
So will it be only your character allowed in the house or can you throw a kegger and invite people in? I played at launch and a few months after, I enjoyed the rift closings and the guild quests that WoW implemented later on as challenges. But the talent trees and souls were just a bit much for me to want to mess with.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I would think you could have peeps over and have a kegger. I know in UO you could host parties and such, if you either set the house to public vs private. Private means only you, your alts, and people you made house friends can enter the house.
Public is for those that want a guild house, or a vendor house. UO sells NPC vendors that you place in your house, or on the porch [this way you can lock your door]. You then stock the vendor with the stuff you craft, or loot from the mobs. I used to sell MIBs [message in the bottles] and oily rags [clean poison off of weapons]. as well as various ingots and deadly poisoned weapons.
I also sold "emergency" bank kits. All they were was a rune marked for a bank location, and a recall scroll. So if you had died and lost everything, you could buy one of my kits and go to the bank to re-equip.
The downside was that if you weren't in a highly trafficked area, you sold very little. A trick to that was to go to the major cities and drop bags on the street. The bags would have a marked rune for your retail spot, a book with a brief description of what you sold, and a recall scroll for the none magic users to use.

Auction house is good bad. Good because anyone can see your goods if you are selling what they are looking for. Bad, because of so much competition.

But it was nice to have a vendor at your doorstep.

Ast1
@213.152.245.x

Ast1 to Snakeoil

Anon

to Snakeoil
Nope, it's not F2P and as they gave the expansion away for 'free' for those who bought a 1 year sub they have pretty much all their subscribers locked in for another year.

As for the Dimensions (Housing if you will, except you actually get an area so you get the external area too) you can open it up o as many people as you like.

I myself am not big into the whole playe housing stuff so can't really comment, though one of the sites I spend time on did a short article on it

»bluedots.org/content.php ··· credible

Personally I love Rift but have done since its Beta. Things started to drag the last couple months as I waited for the expansion, but have been loving it since a few weeks prior when the introduced the soul revamps. If you loved the game but got a bit bored, it's well worth returning, but if you hated the game, then the expansion won't change that.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
I didn't do the beta, but bought RIFT when it launched, and subbed for almost 6 months before quitting. I just couldn't get into it. I liked the talent trees, and the way it looked, but it wasn't nearly as "fun" for me as WoW is, maybe because I have more friends that play that over RIFT, I dunno, but I just could never get a toon over 25 before getting bored and starting a new one, trying to find a class I liked.

The expansion does nothing to make me want to give it another go, even thought they've been emailing me almost daily to get me to come back.

I think it's FTP til you get a toon to level 20, then you can't progress further without paying for it.

Ast1
@213.152.245.x

Ast1 to Snakeoil

Anon

to Snakeoil
That's the funny thing about MMOs - it's very hard to explain why you do or don't enjoy it.

Alot of my friends left WoW when Rift came out, they love it - similar in ways to WoW but better, and they have never looked back

Yet a lot of peope left WoW, tried Rift, found it similar to WoW but vastly inferior and left, never regretting the decision.

Then there is me and and other of my friends who absolutely hate WoW as a game and couldn't even play it if Blizzard were paying me a monthly sub and yet we play Rift and love it despite clearly most feeling the games are very similar.

In theory not all of the above can be true...it makes no sense! Yet, that's the way of opinion - one man's food is another man's poison and all that.